Brake Squeal 2015 C220 Estate

Grotbag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C220 Estate Sport Premium AND 2005 CLK 200K Convertible Avantgarde
I have a 2 year old C220 Estate.
Whenever I press the brake they squeal. You cannot hear it with the windows up but it it very high pitch with the windows down.
I have complained to MB and they took it in. They tell me it is a known problem but cannot fix it. When they have a fix they will recall the car for repair.
Anyone else had this?

Richard

gianton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C250 CDI 4Matic Avantgarde - 2013
This is unacceptable for a new car! You should insist to have the brake pads changed. Call the Mobilolife and tell them to check it also.

Even my ATE brake pads and discs with 10k miles don't make this squeal when braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Grotbag

Grotbag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C220 Estate Sport Premium AND 2005 CLK 200K Convertible Avantgarde
I'm on about 10K miles

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sounds poor they have a known problem but can't fix it in a 2015 model to be honest. I can understand with a 2017 MY but really after 2-3 years of model release?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It may be the problem hasn't manifested itself early. Usually brake squeal is caused by dust on the rear of the pad allowing the pad to rapidly oscillate generating the high pitched squeal. On occasion it can't be fixed other than by a change of pad. Certain brake pads are well known for squealing (on certain cars).

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
My sympathies. Yes its a bit pathetic, but imo its a Mercedes and should sound like one.
Sad, but if like me you almost find yourself waiting for the squeal every time you go to touch the brakes.

Plus in this lovely weather you may want your windows down.

OK things that seem to be working for me ... by replacing my worn Mb front pads with genuine MB pads, and using a generous amount of MG gray paste on the back of the pads and on the piston heads and all pad sliding parts that contact pad/caliper. The front noise seems to have gone.

Likewise just using the grey paste again in a similar fashion and replacing the slider bushes well lubed with grey paste. Despite having non MB pads on the rears, That noise seems to have gone on that side. A bit too early to tell.
You will not have to change the bushes ( only did mine as by accident used mineral grease .. perishes and swell rubber! ).

I do remember I had one SL, that had its pads changed at about 15,000 miles (from new ) and they squealed like a stuck pig.
Initially they said it will probably go away. 2 days later I took it back.

Just looked up the bills for you, ... they changed the pads, and regreased all the contact points, and put in new pins (hammer in types ) and those spring clips.
The problem was completely solved.

My argument was these brakes are not designed to squeal .. they didnt do it before and now they do!
Assuming they inspected the discs properly, and adudicated them to be within service tolerance to fit new pads then they should be OK.
So the only common questionable factor that has changed is the pads. Hey we all know you get the odd defect part .. so change them all! And make sure all the contact points are liberally smeared in brake grease.
My other point is if its only one pad, then find it! But find it fast as they should be changed as a pair!
TBH at MB rates its cheaper to swap the pad than diagnose a fault! And they come in pairs anyway.
Note my dealer had a microphone on a long wire to stick near the disc, to pin point strange noises.

Had that not worked I would have wanted them swap the discs!
But I recognise, that could have been risky to insist on changing a part, that they had assessed to be OK, because if it didnt cure the squeal rationally they could argue it was unnecessary.

My dealer is great and they genuinely seemed as interested as me in solving it.
Perhaps go to another Dealer?
Only once have I ever been given the "its a known fault and there is no cure yet". That was on SL wiper blades, that after a few weeks they squeaked like hell. They changed mine 2x, and then rang me up to say a new varient had come out so if they squeaked at all, come in for a swap out. They were dreadful unless it was a monsoon, they squeaked like hell, then judderred badly. You wouldn't accept that noise level in a 10 year old transit van!

I did also have an advantage over you, namely being a soft top. If its good weather then the roof comes down .. so boy will you hear it. Windows up and using aircon kinda defeats the whole point of a softop!

But do dealers treat S class owners differently??

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom