1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C Class engine failure help please

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Tony carr, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Tony carr

Tony carr Member

Your Mercedes:
    C Class 2015 c200d
    Hi I have 2015 C Class 200d which I bought from a Mercedes main dealer one owner with 35,000 18 months ago, the dealer sold the car to previous owner from new. The car has been serviced by me at the same dealer and last November the turbo blew on it and was repaired under warranty. Around 4 weeks ago the engine blew with the car now having 56,000 on it, the car was recovered to the main dealer where I bought it from and so far has cost me £1600.00 for them to tell me the main crankshaft bearing on number has failed but can't say why and that the engine is beyond repair. The warranty ran out on the car back in April this year and they have gone to Mercedes direct and eventually got them to agree to pay 65% of the repair. This means I have to pay £5,600 which in turn mean the total cost of the repair is in the region of £16,000 which I find totally ridiculous on a vehicle that would be worth no more than £13,500 in a working condition. They have confirmed there is nothing I could have done to prevent this or had any knowledge this was going to happen there was plenty of oil in the engine when they took it apart and that I had serviced the car as I should. What they can't tell me is why the bearing failed on a 4 year old car with only 56,000 on it. Does anyone have any ideas or input please as I think this situation is totally unacceptable on a vehicle like this. I would also add this is my 6 Mercedes and I down sized with this one due to semi retirement. Many thanks in advance for any help

Jim2 likes this.
  2. OP
    Tony carr

Tony carr Member

Your Mercedes:
    C Class 2015 c200d
    Hi I have 2015 C Class 200d which I bought from a Mercedes main dealer one owner with 35,000 18 months ago, the dealer sold the car to previous owner from new. The car has been serviced by me at the same dealer and last November the turbo blew on it and was repaired under warranty. Around 4 weeks ago the engine blew with the car now having 56,000 on it, the car was recovered to the main dealer where I bought it from and so far has cost me £1600.00 for them to tell me the main crankshaft bearing on number 4 has failed but can't say why and that the engine is beyond repair. The warranty ran out on the car back in April this year and they have gone to Mercedes direct and eventually got them to agree to pay 65% of the repair. This means I have to pay £5,600 which in turn mean the total cost of the repair is in the region of £16,000 which I find totally ridiculous on a vehicle that would be worth no more than £13,500 in a working condition. They have confirmed there is nothing I could have done to prevent this or had any knowledge this was going to happen there was plenty of oil in the engine when they took it apart and that I had serviced the car as I should. What they can't tell me is why the bearing failed on a 4 year old car with only 56,000 on it. Does anyone have any ideas or input please as I think this situation is totally unacceptable on a vehicle like this. I would also add this is my 6 Mercedes and I down sized with this one due to semi retirement. Many thanks in advance for any help

3. OP
    Tony carr

Tony carr Member

Your Mercedes:
    C Class 2015 c200d
    Hi I have 2015 C Class 200d which I bought from a Mercedes main dealer one owner with 35,000 18 months ago, the dealer sold the car to previous owner from new. The car has been serviced by me at the same dealer and last November the turbo blew on it and was repaired under warranty. Around 4 weeks ago the engine blew with the car now having 56,000 on it, the car was recovered to the main dealer where I bought it from and so far has cost me £1600.00 for them to tell me the main crankshaft bearing on number 4 has failed but can't say why and that the engine is beyond repair. The warranty ran out on the car back in April this year and they have gone to Mercedes direct and eventually got them to agree to pay 65% of the repair. This means I have to pay £5,600 which in turn mean the total cost of the repair is in the region of £16,000 which I find totally ridiculous on a vehicle that would be worth no more than £13,500 in a working condition. They have confirmed there is nothing I could have done to prevent this or had any knowledge this was going to happen there was plenty of oil in the engine when they took it apart and that I had serviced the car as I should. What they can't tell me is why the bearing failed on a 4 year old car with only 56,000 on it. Does anyone have any ideas or input please as I think this situation is totally unacceptable on a vehicle like this. I would also add this is my 6 Mercedes and I down sized with this one due to semi retirement. Many thanks in advance for any help

4. Frontstep

Frontstep Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    T210 320cdi
    I think it comes under sh1t happens.

Still I think £1600 is plenty enough to tell you what is the most likely cause of the failure.

The engine may be repairable for considerably less depending on damage.

A £16,000 bill strikes me as an exercise in getting the "contribution" from MB as close to zero as possible.

The current worth of the car is not helpful I am sure my car currently worth "not a lot" would generate a healthy bill for a new engine.

Jim2 likes this.
  5. OP
    Tony carr

Tony carr Member

Your Mercedes:
    C Class 2015 c200d
    **** happens ? We are talking about a Mercedes engine which should do 250-300k miles not 56k the bearing has failed for a reason and I think it's up to Mercedes to put it right the car is not fit for purpose is only done 20k since I had it plus it also could be some damage which was done when the turbo paced up last year

Dean Fletcher, Jim2 and DREAMER NO2 like this.
  6. AnthonyUK

AnthonyUK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C240 estate 2002
    By the law of averages, for every engine that does a million miles there will be one that fails at 50k.
    I would maybe argue that £16k is unrealistic and try to lower the price.

A relative had the same issue with a gearbox and was quoted £11k initially but they soon cut this by 50%.

Dean Fletcher, Jim2 and matthew k like this.
  7. vtaylor78

vtaylor78 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 CDI Coupe W207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
    Unbelievable story, and I’m glad to say it’s not a Common one.
    I hope you can get some sort of resolution.

Dean Fletcher and Jim2 like this.
  8. AMGeed

AMGeed Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 W212 E63 Biturbo
    I wouldn't be happy either if a fully dealer serviced car had an engine failure at such low mileage.
    But I doubt you will get a better offer than the 65% contribution to the costs you have been offered so far.

I would be looking to get a used/reconditioned engine fitted (OK, condition unknown) with a guarantee, and ask MB to foot the bill.
    It would be a huge saving for both you , and the dealer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES...r:2015&hash=item3b39e3341f:g:T18AAOSwRqxdkRb5

Jim2 and om613 like this.
  9. umblecumbuz

umblecumbuz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 and CLC 204 cdi, other non-Merc machines
    Merc have given you a 'goodwill' contribution - but really that is an admission of partial responsibility, even though it may not be legally enforceable.

It might be worth getting riled and pushing them, just to see if you can get more redress. It's obviously not normal for such an engine with a great reputation to fail within such a low mileage.

On the other hand, a car is a car, and they do sometimes go bang unexpectedly.

Jim2 and matthew k like this.
  10. OP
    Tony carr

Tony carr Member

Your Mercedes:
    C Class 2015 c200d
    Sorry should have said that's not a new engine they want to put but a reconditioned for that price !

11. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

Looks like you are between a rock and a hard place, I would work on trying to get the price of the new engine from MB down a bit more surely there is a little more wriggle room, but the Mercedes offer looks to be the most viable assuming they are putting a new engine in the car

12. OP
    Tony carr

Tony carr Member

Your Mercedes:
    C Class 2015 c200d
    No that's a reconditioned not new

13. AMGeed

AMGeed Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 W212 E63 Biturbo
    The engine in the link I put above has done 6k and has allegedly been removed from a 2018 damaged car.
    I would make enquiries into its condition considering they are only asking £2.5k for it.

14. drmw

drmw Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
    You need to step back. The was a turbo "blew" - you didn't say why, but as it was fitted under warranty then the car was less than three years old.

I have no idea what can happen to a main bearing fail, but it does indicate was some sort of crap in the system. They should have been able to see that. Proving it is another matter though. Given that one item "blew", how far did the drains come up? I would have guessed not a lot. As someone else said, a rock & a hard place, but if you can live without it for now, I think an email from you to MB - not the dealer - asking that they reconsider.

A four year old car with minimal miles, all (the same) main dealer maintained and if you have this "They have confirmed there is nothing I could have done to prevent this or had any knowledge this was going to happen there was plenty of oil in the engine when they took it apart" I would take the hard line.

Depending how they react, that should form the case of a claim.

Jim2, DSK, matthew k and 2 others like this.
  15. OP
    Tony carr

Tony carr Member

Your Mercedes:
    C Class 2015 c200d
    Hi thank you for that sorry what do you mean how far did the drains come up ? If you mean oil in it I know for a fact as I saw it the dip stick when the rac came out was above minimum and that was with God knows how much had blown out. I am going to go back to MB and try and again as I really think it's not good enough and yes I have the statement in writing from the dealer re couldn't have done anymore on my part

Jim2 likes this.
  16. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I would definitely be looking for some kind of goodwill from Mercedes on this.

17. OP
    Tony carr

Tony carr Member

Your Mercedes:
    C Class 2015 c200d
    The 65% they offered is goodwill in there eyes

18. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I'd be looking for more....

On the basis that it's not unreasonable for an engine to run to 200,000 mike's and yours has done 1/4 of that then 75% would be a fair and reasonable figure.
    Unless of course MB are saying the engine is only good for 150k miles.....

ledonster and Jim2 like this.
  19. drmw

drmw Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
    Sorry - "drains come up" was a means of seeing how far they were prepared to dig for what went wrong, or simply replace the turbo.

You have three threads running here all on the same subject - I will try to replace them into one !

20. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    Welcome , that’s a terrible tale

Jim2 likes this.