C Class engine failure help please

rpalmeida

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mercupgrades.com
Sorry to hear this. Sadly you don’t know what the previous owner did to the car (ie was it chipped or just trashed everywhere)
You could ask them to ask for more of a contribution ?

Ask your insurance company if it’s covered as it’s a write off ? (Edit- Actually it’s not a write off as they are contributing - but maybe worth asking the insurance company anyway)

R

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I'd be looking for more....

On the basis that it's not unreasonable for an engine to run to 200,000 mike's and yours has done 1/4 of that then 75% would be a fair and reasonable figure.
Unless of course MB are saying the engine is only good for 150k miles.....

75% of a £16k bill still leaves the OP with £4k to find.
Looking at the link I provided, a 6k mile 2018 engine from a damaged car for £2500+ fitting looks a better deal if Mercedes would agree to foot the bill. Both parties would save money.

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
If this was me, i would get rid of it as soon as it was repaired and then go Japanese . What a state of afairs .
I think it's just bad luck, this sort of thing can happen to any car, regardless of manufacturer. Given the low mileage however and main dealer servicing record I'd be speaking to Mercedes again and pushing for a better contribution. The actual cost to them of their 65% is quite low, maybe if they start to realise they may loose you as a future customer and have faith in their brand slightly tarnished they may improve upon it.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
I would be more than very suspicious that an engine that has had a turbo failure shortly afterwards has a bearing failure. Can't be a coincidence that they failed to precisely diagnose the failure at this very low mileage and I would be pressing very hard on that point.
I think honesty should play a big part in offering you a repair at very little cost to yourself but I suppose as we are in the realms of fantasy there when dealing with a main dealer.
Best of luck.

Mike Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 C200 Estate AMG line plus
When I had a turbo go on a BMW the independent garage I took it too for replacement said they would drain and check the oil for any fragments first as this could be bad news for the engine and possibly not worth replacing the turbo due to potential internal damage.

Reactions: DSK
OP
T

Tony carr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2015 c200d
No it's not have written a full account to the ceo of Mercedes

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Sorry to hear of this.

There have been some great suggestions so far and mine, is not the easiest but, certainly worth considering.

The fact appears : you bought an approved dealer car and as far as you are concerned, trusted the supplying authorised dealer to maintain (service/repair) the vehicle. How the dealer maintained it, if at all, is not your concern (and sadly dealer's do sweet f*ck all despite what people think and have very little know how to really investigate root causes).

I would at this point, I would consider both a legal and independent engineer. The legal side would enforce your rights and the dealers obligations formally. Sadly dealers and manufacturers have perfected the the art of telling you do do one and declining your rights. An independent engineer can argue that the vehicle was not fit for purpose and should not have failed so quickly supporting it with their investigation of the engine.

The car was either not very good as it rolled off the production line and/or negligently owned and maintained leading to such failures in short succession. I would say you are in a very strong position to fight and stick it to MB (which no longer is the awesome brand it used to be moons ago).

If you win this, chances are MB will just give you a full refund or put you in a new car, possibly sooner than you think as this will also be agro for them.

I did the above with a 15,000 mile approved BMW M5 which, was a little slower than another identical demo car. BMW told me to do one. I left the car there, instructed a solicitor and they kept it for 6 months claiming to put a new bottom/top end in. With the lawyer and my independent engineer, they shut up and threw in a new engine pronto, then further fitted new brakes and tyres, despite not needing them which I was happy with rather than a full refund plus legal costs.

Seriously hope you get a decent outcome quickly as this sort of stress is not good for you the one on the receiving end.

OP
T

Tony carr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2015 c200d
Just a quick update for you all despite writing and asking for help from the CEO of Mercedes Uk the response was to put it back to customer services who will not move on there offer of 65%. After speaking to a motor engineer he pointed me in the direction of the consumer rights act 2015 which states quite clearly your rights up to 6 years that the vehicle should be
  • ‘of satisfactory quality’ - it should do what you’d expect for its age, mileage, price and type.
This action will have to be taken directly against the dealership as I have it writing from them that I couldn't have known or done anything to prevent this failure from happening. It is quite clear that I can demonstrate that the vehicle was not of satisfactory quality in the fact it achieved 56,000 miles for a four year old vehicle which is not what you would expect for its age and mileage. So now to start the battle with the dealership which I am sure will be a long drawn out process !

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Just a quick update for you all despite writing and asking for help from the CEO of Mercedes Uk the response was to put it back to customer services who will not move on there offer of 65%. After speaking to a motor engineer he pointed me in the direction of the consumer rights act 2015 which states quite clearly your rights up to 6 years that the vehicle should be
  • ‘of satisfactory quality’ - it should do what you’d expect for its age, mileage, price and type.
This action will have to be taken directly against the dealership as I have it writing from them that I couldn't have known or done anything to prevent this failure from happening. It is quite clear that I can demonstrate that the vehicle was not of satisfactory quality in the fact it achieved 56,000 miles for a four year old vehicle which is not what you would expect for its age and mileage. So now to start the battle with the dealership which I am sure will be a long drawn out process !

Great stuff and despite you being one of very few people in the world, going down the this path, its nice to see dealers/manufacturers getting the stick shoved back up their **** when leaving thousands of customers with no where to turn.

Personally, I think it will not be drawn out as long as you think. You have done everything on your part to ensure the vehicle was OK, the dealer confirms there is nothing you could have done. You are demonstrating that you are not the average joe who will accept being told to do one and are making them adhere to the law (which manufacturers such as VW, Audi, Merc and BMW are the worst for thinking that the law does not apply to them!).

Get yourself a good lawyer and I'm sure very soon, you will have an outcome that you are pleased with!

Stick with it! they are very likely to argue initially but this is where the lawyer will whip their butts into and shape after which, they will have to comply with the law!

Keep us posted!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
And remember your legal costs will be reimbursed if you win so don't stint on the representation!

Reactions: DSK

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom