C220 CDI W203 Oil and FIlter Change

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
Hey guys, i have a 2001, C220 CDI Auto (W203).

I want to do an Oil and filter change.

Are there any guides on how to do this (i am quite new to servicing my own cars).

Also does anyone know what weight oils to use?

For some reason i have a 5W40 Full synthetic and 15W40 Part synthetic oils in the house, cant remember which is for the BMW and the merc

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
It's a pretty easy job.

Some people use an extraction pump, but I do it the traditional way.

Basically, get the engine warm. Then remove the rear of the front 2 undertrays (8mm bolts). Remove the engine covers (either T40 or T45) remove the oil filler cap, oil filter housing (you will need the special tool or use a rubber strap wrench) and oil filter. Jack the car up and remove the sump bolt 13mm and let it drain for a bit.

Renew the copper washer or give it a blast with the blow torch and refit the sump plug. Renew the filter and o rings (give the rings a light coating of oil) and fill with around 6ltrs oil (the capacity is 6.5).

The oil needs to meet MB229.1, 229.3 or 229.5 spec. Grade is irrelevant.

tonyryan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2002 2.2 diesel
If I may ask a silly question, this gets me every time I change my filter. When I get the new filter there are always 4 orings in the box? The big one obviously goes around the perimeter of the screw on cap. There is a little one that goes on the end of the plastic prong which the filter is impailed on. There is a larger diameter one further up the prong near the lower end of the filter. Then there is always this 4th o ring which is a similar size to the last oring mentioned? What am I missing I can only see a use for three of them?

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom