C270 performance loss below 4000RPM

CaptainLumpy

Reaction score
My C270 CDI was recently in a light front end crash (the missus - dont get me started!), and this required new radiator, bodywork, steering wheel, seatbelts etc.

On return from the bodyshop, the car suffers from a chronic flatspot below 4000 rpm or so. I've been racking my brains as to what it could be, including whether the kick diown was working, but it seems to be OK. The problem appears worst when at low revs looking to use low end torque (that isnt there) to accelerate.

I'm thinking intercooler system leak could be a possibility, but the loss of performance seems too great for just the intercooler. It's more like the turbo doesnt kick in at all until 4000 RPM.

Before I take it back to the bodyshop, does any one have any bright ideas about what this might be, so that I dont get the brush off from a rather slipppery body shop?

Thanks in advance

OP
C

CaptainLumpy

Reaction score
I forgot to add: its a 2002 with 110k on the clock.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Ideally you need to put it on the star machine to see if there is any fault codes stored at all and to check the actual values of things like the MAF sensor for operation.

It could be something completely unrelated to you accident, the MAF could have failed, it may have a jammed EGR valve or a pipe on the intercooler has split/not fitted correctly.

OP
C

CaptainLumpy

Reaction score
Thanks Steve - my first port of call has to be the body shop since there are other issues with the repair. I'll get them to investigate since at this point the insurance company is paying, and if it is due to the crash should pick up the tab.

The 'star machine' you referr to is MB specific diagnostics?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom