mustafa mehmood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes g63 amg
I’ve tried researching but honestly can’t find any main difference between the c300dh and the c300e other than one being a diesel and other petrol.

the car will mainly be used for local runs, but will also have the occasional long journey.
Around 8k miles a year approx.
Which one would you recommend and why?
Thanks

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome and neither , stick with a petrol c200, cheaper more reliable and more accurate on mpg claims

OP
M

mustafa mehmood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes g63 amg
It would mainly be used for local, so wouldn’t driving on the fully electric mode be better as no fuel would be used at all?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The range on either is no where near the claims made especially in the winter when it will barely run electric .
The 300e will be better as it’s a plug in hydrid, the diesel isn’t, but unless it’s a company car the benefits are minimal or reverse even. Have you thought of pure electric ? How long will your ‘longer’ runs be?

OP
M

mustafa mehmood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes g63 amg
Our
The range on either is no where near the claims made especially in the winter when it will barely run electric .
The 300e will be better as it’s a plug in hydrid, the diesel isn’t, but unless it’s a company car the benefits are minimal or reverse even. Have you thought of pure electric ? How long will your ‘longer’ runs be?

longer travelling is probably around 45-90 min motorway journey, and this is occasionally, max 1-2 a month sometimes not even that

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Given the way things are going long term you may be better looking at a full electric car, there are more and more being released. Unfortunately MB isn’t quite there with the technology, the Far Eastern manufacturers seem to be way ahead. My situation is different from yours in that I have a daily 15 mile x 2 and as a family of 5 we need something large for longer trips but we’ve just ordered a Nissan Leaf for the short journeys , 5 - 7 miles. It arrives 2nd December

OP
M

mustafa mehmood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes g63 amg
Given the way things are going long term you may be better looking at a full electric car, there are more and more being released. Unfortunately MB isn’t quite there with the technology, the Far Eastern manufacturers seem to be way ahead. My situation is different from yours in that I have a daily 15 mile x 2 and as a family of 5 we need something large for longer trips but we’ve just ordered a Nissan Leaf for the short journeys , 5 - 7 miles. It arrives 2nd December

congrats!
I just like a Mercedes, so I doubt I’ll be changing cars to anything other than a Mercedes.
I absolutely love the EQC, however out of my budget
May just wait till that drops then, my a200d is very economical on fuel, just wanted a better driving car, while holding as much economy as I can but I’m in no rush.
With this market, do you have a rough idea how long till the EQC drops down to around £30,000?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

The only reason for a 300e or 300de is for a lower BIK - if you're not getting it as a company car to reduce you tax liability then get a petrol only version

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
PHEV's do work - but only for the right trips.

I've got a full electric now, but have used a PHEV - I averaged 396.4 mpg during my use.

My commute was 14,6 miles at the time, so I could charge at work, and drive home, back to work and back on charge.

I admit, I borrowed something else if I had a long trip to do - but I still got around 50mpg when using the car after the 30 odd mile range was exhausted - so that would have been quite acceptable.

I admit though - I am a convert to electric - but if you can't go that way PHEV's do work as long as you can charge at work / home, and your daily mileage rarely exceeds 30. If you are a rep doing 200 miles a day, full electric is better - if you do 400 miles a day - diesel.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A used Tesla will have a decent range still (300+ miles) probably not much dearer than a new C200 and uses Merc switchgear?

Very low depreciation now the initial hit has been taken, and the Model S is a very nice car indeed

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
A used Tesla will have a decent range still (300+ miles) probably not much dearer than a new C200 and uses Merc switchgear?

Very low depreciation now the initial hit has been taken, and the Model S is a very nice car indeed
what electric do you have 'currently' (get it?)

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Soul EV -

In the summer we've just had I was getting 4.3m per KWh - so with a 64KWh battery it gave me bang on the claimed 282 mile range - more round town less on motorway. Now the winter is here it's dropped badly - to around 265 - 270 but I still consider that decent compared to the other cars about. Superbly well equipped too - radar cruise, heated seats / steering wheel, 10" sat nav screen etc etc and a 7 year warranty.

It's perhaps not as "dynamic" to drive as some (quick though) and there are better looking cars, but in terms of bang for your buck - untouchable......

If it were my choice I would probably have gone for the Niro - it's about the same money, as well equipped but at the time of choosing it had a 9 month waiting list - down to about 3-4 now.....

The new VW ID3 looks nice, but i don't like the interior, and they are having some massive issues with the keyless...

But there is a wealth of good BEV cars coming now, and the prices may well start to drop in the next year or two.... The new Ford Mustang Mach-E looks a bit dear on the surface, but look at the capability, range, equipment and style and actually it starts to look like a bit of a bargain, and you just know it's going to handle and drive superbly.

I manage fine and I don't even have a charger at home - but I can charge at work - if you can't, or do decent long trips every day you will need a home charger, but the government subsidises them so they are cheap enough too now.

I am a real convert - that punch, instant and on demand is addictive.....

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom