Changes to fuel / E10

Misterdog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 (W169) 2010
Not even when knocking the weeds over ?

The issue with this new fuel as I understand is that your fuel lines, and seals in fuel pumps etc will rot.

Causing all the fuel in your vehicle to spill all over the place and save the planet by not allowing it to be converted into toxic gasses. - genius.

Like carrying a sack of cement in weight for a stop start system, we can keep this planet alive until we are all ready to move to Mars.

Proper planning prevents pretty poor performance.

tim124

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E280 Estate/1995/2.8
Now that 'ordinary' unleaded fuel is no longer available in the UK, having been replaced by E10 (containing a percentage of bioethanol), can anyone confirm or otherwise that E10 is safe to use in my 1995 W124 E280 estate, please? The government's website suggests that it's OK, but expresses caution on '[Mercedes] cars more than 25 years old' (possible issue with catalytic converters, apparently). Should I play safe and accept the higher cost, albeit with supposedly better performance, of using 'supreme' (higher octane) fuel - not sold in all gas stations, unfortunately - rather than risk using E10? Thanks.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Now that 'ordinary' unleaded fuel is no longer available in the UK, having been replaced by E10 (containing a percentage of bioethanol), can anyone confirm or otherwise that E10 is safe to use in my 1995 W124 E280 estate, please? The government's website suggests that it's OK, but expresses caution on '[Mercedes] cars more than 25 years old' (possible issue with catalytic converters, apparently). Should I play safe and accept the higher cost, albeit with supposedly better performance, of using 'supreme' (higher octane) fuel - not sold in all gas stations, unfortunately - rather than risk using E10? Thanks.
I don’t think you have any alternative.

I filled my BMW 435i with 10% ethanol fuel for the first time last night and was in two minds whether to use the Esso supreme 99 octane 5% ethanol fuel, as there was no price on the pump that I could see I didn’t bother. I’m also interested to see if there is any noticeable difference in engine performance. As I do such a low annual mileage in the car changing to the more expensive Esso supreme isn’t such an issue for me

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I don’t think you have any alternative.

I filled my BMW 435i with 10% ethanol fuel for the first time last night and was in two minds whether to use the Esso supreme 99 octane 5% ethanol fuel, as there was no price on the pump that I could see I didn’t bother. I’m also interested to see if there is any noticeable difference in engine performance. As I do such a low annual mileage in the car changing to the more expensive Esso supreme isn’t such an issue for me
I’m using E10 95 in France at the moment and didn’t notice any drop off in performance during my mountain hairpin drive yesterday in Sport mode. :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Do you have a catalytic converter? Post 1/1/93 UK cars must have one.
I'd also assume your car is fuel injected.
If so you'll be fine.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Ive seen news feeds about motorists using E10 and how it has affected their fuel consumption ? Some have said they have had a big drop in milage and i have to accept that could be true as i put £45 worth in and its not lasted as long as normal unleaded, so long term us drivers will end up with less milage per gallon and more money on fuel= more fuel duty paid!....maybe if i use superjuice il pay a bit more but get better milage ? Or am i just being a cynical old git! Please advise??

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I used my 1998 BMW Z3 2.8 petrol car this last weekend. I took a friend for a spin to pick up a take away. He mentioned his old Saab diseasel was doing over 60mpg since having the EGR and other guff removed, and asked what my Z did? My reply was 'I fill it up, push the go pedal, enjoy blatting about, its a toy'.

The Z doesn't have any issues with being able to use the E10. It is fuel injected, has cats, happy days :cool: :cool:

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
I used my 1998 BMW Z3 2.8 petrol car this last weekend. I took a friend for a spin to pick up a take away. He mentioned his old Saab diseasel was doing over 60mpg since having the EGR and other guff removed, and asked what my Z did? My reply was 'I fill it up, push the go pedal, enjoy blatting about, its a toy'.

The Z doesn't have any issues with being able to use the E10. It is fuel injected, has cats, happy days :cool: :cool:
Oh my engine runs on it ok and no problems with fuel delivery system its just all the Gonads bluff from the people in charge bleating about being more enviromently friendly and saving about 350.000 cars being on the road hyperphetically??? But if drivers having to fill up more so whats the benefit then? Not for us! But for Goverments fuel duty,
I know i drive a big V8 so fuel economy is not great and i accept that and i love driving the beast

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2021 213 E300e estate 216Cdi Sprinter (stretched limo)
I apologise if this has already been discussed but I have only just read that the USA is stopping importing MOST Mercedes-Benz vehicles with the mighty V8.

The list of vehicles they are not importing is:

The Mercedes-AMG C63 S Coupe, C63 S Cabriolet, GLC63 S Coupe, GLC63 SUV, GLC63 S SUV, E63 S estate and saloon versions. Mercedes-AMG GT 63 and 63 S twins. The 2022 GLE580 4Matic, GLS580 4Matic, the G550 and the Mercedes-AMG G63. Mercedes-AMG GLE63 S Coupe and SUV,Mercedes-AMG GLS63. No, not this car..... Mercedes-Maybach GLS600 4Matic in 2022. Can I steal dream about getting the Maybach saloon :eek: :eek: In the USA, the G-Wagon is only offered with the V*, so no G-Wagon or should I say G-Wagen?

Do we think this might effect the models offered World-wide? I am guessing the USA might be the biggest market for the mighty V8.

Our little 2ltr petrol along with the hybrid electric motor can allegedly do the 0 - 62mph in just 5.7 seconds. We have a slight uphill gradient when we get out onto the road and the boss was used to our 'mighty' ;) straight-six, 3.2ltr turbo diesel powered E-class leaping away up this gradient. I was worried that she might not like stepping down to a smaller-engined car. I totally accept Mercedes claim the hybrid is a very capable vehicle when we look at that standing start figure but our first Sprinter was the first of the really nice performing 'vans' We had the 212 model and it would embarrass a number of motor cars when it came to driving up a long and moderately steep hill called Telegraph Hill on the A380. I was amazed how the thing flew up that hill. When it came to replacement time, the sales person convinced my wife that the new 213 would suit our needs as the engine was more powerful, the old 212 had the same automatic box as the W210, whereas the 213 had their new hot off the press 'clutchless manual' and what an amazing gearbox. I would be laying on my stretcher hearing the computer making quick seamless double de-clutching both changing up and down. I learnt to drive in a non-synchromesh vehicle and then when I got my HGV licence, most of our big trucks we non-synchromesh..

I digress....:oops::oops::oops: (blame the morphine)
The 213 (130hp) we had was, despite the assurances by Mercedes an inferior vehicle to the older 212 (120hp) The 213 felt smoother and I feel it might have been quieter but... Our coachbuilder always does a great job of insulating\sound proofing my stretched limo so to cut a long story short....

I was concerned that she who must be obeyed, might be disappointed with her new car...

Fear not, out of the driveway she went and up this slight gradient.. Excellent, first-class performance and solely on the electric motor. The boss is MOST definitely NOT a fast or quick driver, but having that extra power is for me at least, very reassuring, that 5.7second figure might not be a V8 beater but why buy a V8 solely for performance when this hybrid kicks butt. .

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Our little 2ltr petrol along with the hybrid electric motor can allegedly do the 0 - 62mph in just 5.7 seconds.
Is this the 2021 E300e estate you have listed under your name?
I believe you have very recently bought this, but do you know if Mercedes have recently discontinued the E300e in estate form?
The reason I ask is because in the latest E Class brochure the 300e is only listed in a saloon, but the estate gets the 300de. In fact the only petrol option on the estate (non AMG models) is the 200.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I replaced a fuel pump on a 1997 SLK230K today. It was leaking heavily from the crimping on the end where the plastic end cap is held into the aluminium case. There must be an O ring in there I’d have thought. Don’t know if it’s absolutely certain to do with E10, but owner filled it up for the first time with E10 the day before. First problem I have seen that MAY be to do with the new fuel. I’ve never seen one of these Pierburg pumps leaking from there before.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I replaced a fuel pump on a 1997 SLK230K today. It was leaking heavily from the crimping on the end where the plastic end cap is held into the aluminium case. There must be an O ring in there I’d have thought. Don’t know if it’s absolutely certain to do with E10, but owner filled it up for the first time with E10 the day before. First problem I have seen that MAY be to do with the new fuel. I’ve never seen one of these Pierburg pumps leaking from there before.
If you're going to have problems with E10 it takes more than a day to manifest

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Just to say one thing to get things right ...First it is not the running of the engine that causes the problem, You ..well most people are thinking,, ho it runs well so it is fine . Well yes driving the car every day, then it might be fine, but its the sitting around doing nothing like most classic cars do, thats when the trouble starts . And then when the engine start to hiccup, you wont know where to look first . Classic car prices will fall like a crashing plane . I hope some boffin will come up with an elixir that we can pop in the tank ---who knows

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I hope some boffin will come up with an elixir that we can pop in the tank ---who knows
It's called super unleaded.

That said my 1993 129 sits for months at a time with E10 in the tank and has done for the past 5 years and has yet to exhibit any issues.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
LK I have been uesing premium unleaded , so now this is no longer avaliable i will go over to Super . There is an octain knob you can change if need be . I will look in to that also.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the 124 is like the 129 there's a round plug on the ECU you pull out rotate to the setting you want and push back in.
On the 129 none of the options are for anything higher than 95 octane.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Judging by the chaos with the fuel lemmings out there! Dopey idiots, we may well end up like the Mad Max 2 film where fuel is a precious commodity? Imagine someone coming up to you ( in a Aussie accent) Gday mate got any Guzzeline!! Ha! , but hoping once all the crazies have filled up maybe there will be some petrol left for us sensible people who do not react to MSM media hysterics and a lot of nonsense from BJ and his cohorts!!

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Judging by the chaos with the fuel lemmings out there! Dopey idiots, we may well end up like the Mad Max 2 film where fuel is a precious commodity? Imagine someone coming up to you ( in a Aussie accent) Gday mate got any Guzzeline!! Ha! , but hoping once all the crazies have filled up maybe there will be some petrol left for us sensible people who do not react to MSM media hysterics and a lot of nonsense from BJ and his cohorts!!
I've just come back from an emergency trip to Tesco (someone drank all my wine :shock::shock:) and they were all queueing there. About a ¼ mile tailback. I parked in the swimming pool car park next door to walk in. A guy there said he was a tanker driver and that there's no shortage of drivers or fuel. I felt very smug:cool:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom