clutch pedal fail help

Biz r

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 113 638 petrol
i got a mk 1 vito 113 w638 petrol ,got in cab and clunk pedal fell to floor, checked resivoir low topped up pressed pedle loads clutch came back drove ok parked up next day same thing except following what i had done before this time nothing (~@ pedal) now i tried bleeding ,read up on tinterweb ,but i,m still a dumass @ the mo is it master slave (which one is that) or slave (which one is that) one is on pedle one is on gearbox ish .is one of them my problem? or worse i,m prepared for worse but after looking at prices i dont want to do unnecessary work ,,but ,,please help good or bad please tell . also i cant find a proper how to ,,if anyone can help much appreiciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Very hard to know if the slave or master cylinder, on a working vehicle I would change them bot to save all the work if you change the wrong one, As the fluid is leaking the one that is leaking should show the fluid leaking out

OP
B

Biz r

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 113 638 petrol
well i guess it,s the one in engine bay but then i think why no go at pedal i know its hydrulic and that would effect end to end .so for insants if if it was the one at the pedal would i find fluid in footwell (which i havnt).sorry if im throwing things about but i am pretent mechanic (i learnt vw boxer well over time) but this is new to me. thanx btw .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes could well be the slave on the bell housing

OP
B

Biz r

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 113 638 petrol
will try first thank you for very quick reply,better than the 2 days of surfing finding nothing but hints of,,,

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
If you have no fluid loss, suspect the master cylinder.

If you have fluid loss, find the leak.

It's that simple really.

OP
B

Biz r

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 113 638 petrol
am i right the masters on the pedal? that would make sense ,so around the £40.00 mark replace and bleed ? thanks in advance,, or just do both as suggested i dont want to do work i dont need to do but mabe no one can answer proper ,or mabe i,m avoiding stuff.right now im thinking do the 1 @ pedal ,and see. help im cluless .

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you have no fluid loss, suspect the master cylinder.

If you have fluid loss, find the leak.

It's that simple really.

I don't know what else to say?

OP
B

Biz r

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 113 638 petrol
i love the way you say simple , and it probably is if youve been around ,but me not yet ,but my dark stubun mind agrees ,i find once you tackle these things they do become simple i just am not sure what to tackle,the above mentioned should be easy (4 me) just worried about more .

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK, top up reservoir, pump clutch pedal 20 times (yes, you might need to lift the pedal back up each time).
Has the level in the reservoir dropped?

If it has, have a really close look in the footwell for leaks above/around the clutch pedal in the area of the master cylinder.
Then find the clutch slave cylinder on, or in the gearbox bell housing and look for leaks - perhaps look on the floor for a puddle first then see where it is coming from!

If the fluid level in the reservoir has not dropped, replace the master cylinder (above clutch pedal).

OP
B

Biz r

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 113 638 petrol
thankyou alex .first time that worked ,next day it flopped tried the same again nada (20 times more like 200) i put a 1 man bleed pipe on (the one with a valve to stop air coming back in) that is still hanging there full of fluid but no sign of air bubbles.now on closer inspection i have fluid dripping at bellhousing i think ,now that could be overflow drip down from resivior as when pumping i aint got a clue whats happening .i stopped .i wiped clean ,left overnight but resivior still up, (ps i cant spell fluid tank).

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thankyou alex .first time that worked ,next day it flopped tried the same again nada (20 times more like 200) i put a 1 man bleed pipe on (the one with a valve to stop air coming back in) that is still hanging there full of fluid but no sign of air bubbles.now on closer inspection i have fluid dripping at bellhousing i think ,now that could be overflow drip down from resivior as when pumping i aint got a clue whats happening .i stopped .i wiped clean ,left overnight but resivior still up, (ps i cant spell fluid tank).

That sounds like a slave cylinder fault then.

OP
B

Biz r

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 113 638 petrol
dammit i bought both £162.00,will let you know how it goes. many thanks again.

OP
B

Biz r

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 113 638 petrol
well have changed master cylinder (1 by the pedal) getting nothing yet,am about to get some bleeding tube and try back bleed from brake nipple,now another question ,the slave cylinder,now is that the piece in the engine bay from which i,m bleeding from? because it looks totaly diffrent to the part given(probably anwering my own question). *just back from motor factors ,wrong part so new 1 monday plus some monie back.quite sure its slave cylinder gone so not going to bleed yet. the master i fitted felt much better than old unit so probably needed doing sometime soon.

Last edited:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom