E-Class. An old mans car?

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Age is a blessing. Taste improves, experience improves, knowledge improves, disposable income improves, car choice improves.
Get over how many times the Earth has gone round the sun. Buy a Mercedes if you want one, and your friends will be sooooo jealous!
That 3 pointed star is a symbol of taste, even in todays competitive market.

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
I'm 28 and a chap in my office who is younger than me has a 2009 E Class saloon.

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Now, let me tell you what ignorant minds think of me when they see me in my CLS both in the UK and any part of Europe. I travelled to France very recently and attended an Audi meet. When I arrived, some French folks were all surprised to see somebody of colour turn up at their meet with a CLS. They started to ask me if I was a footballer based in England. For real? Do footballers who make well over £20K p/w drive a CLS? For sure, I know young Mario Balotelli doesn't drive one. Anyway, I replied 'no' to this particular chap. I am only a young corporate lawyer was my utterance. This statement was the least reply he expected from me. My parents have always nurtured me right from childhood to cope with such challenges and I am doing just fine. As far as life goes on, there would always be racism from both ends and I always deal with it very well.

It's no new thing to my family and it never stopped us from achieving success. By hating on me, they even reinforce me positively and make me attain the unattainable. Wonder what they will think when they see me in a much more superior car to the CLS. All hell will break loose, right? I don't worry about these people. I focus my energy in working hard and making money. So, my friend, your story is not the worst of it all. There are people experiencing worst situations than you and still manage to stay positive in life. A hater will always be hater. Extreme jealousy is inextricably interwoven into the fabric of their biological makeup. So enjoy your car and don't worry about what people think of your car. Here is a link to the Audi Meet in France and you will notice their reaction towards my car. For those who speak and understand French, it's even a bonus.

Audi Meet Pt. 2
Audi meet Pt. 1

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
Imagine if you were in your 20s and had an S-class.

The comments would be pretty ripe! ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Imagine if you were in your 20s and had an S-class.

The comments would be pretty ripe! ;)

I might get a face lift and a hair transplant to see :D:D

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI BlueEff SE, 7G auto, estate (S212), 2012
If Mercedes shows that 'you've arrived', then which is better - to have 'arrived' when you're 60, or when you're 35? Surely getting there early is better than getting there when you're too old to enjoy it!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you Sav Man fantastic, that made my day :D:D

brickie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
00 clk320
i was the same when i got my first merc in my 20s, called an old man driving a old mans car, i had an e320 a great car, im 40 now and still in a merc, ignore them jealous people, putting it nicely

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I hope I'm not to old to enjoy things when I am 60!

I am nearly 80, I love my CL500 and am now thinking of a CL63 so you never lose it, but the CL63 is 4.4 to 60mph and not 3.7:(

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
Of course things change as you get well into pension age.... at around 80 people probably wonder why you're not driving a Honda Jazz, Malcolm. Lol! :)

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
We are all so up ourselves...it's just something people say, it doesn't indicate envy or even jealousy...I would put it down as banter...nothing more nothing less.

Mcobinad...bizarre.

To think people envy us because we drive MB says more about us than it does about them.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
To think people envy us because we drive MB says more about us than it does about them.

wouldn't totally agree with you there Cairan, i found when i bought my 211 3 years ago everyone said "oh what an old mans car" (then again i did look like an old man as i had a walking cane at the time, back and knee injury, made me look about 65 lol :lol:) anyway, when i got the car popped my plates on it everyone that saw me said you know what it does actually look really nice and after they had a drive they agreed it was just totally different to anything else they have driven including C's. 4 of them now have various types of E's.

It very much a stereotype saying that Merc's are old mans cars and that will never be shaken but younger people are coming round to the idea of mercs being for all ages, just look at me, Developer and others here are an unsaid statement of that fact :)

Last edited:

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Just handed back a new E Class loaner after 5 days - very impressed with it.

Was an E220 estate, in black, reasonable spec - got very used to it, very quickly.

And in black, the current model year looked very tidy IMO.

PS. I'm not too many years ahead of you either!

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
It very much a stereotype saying that Merc's are old mans cars and that will never be shaken but younger people are coming round to the idea of mercs being for all ages, just look at me, Developer and others here are an unsaid statement of that fact :)

Just a yoof, me - as my profile shows ;).

Last edited:

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55

I tried making this exact point in the "Mercedes is no longer premium" thread, envy is a distinct sign it is ;)

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
When I had my various Jaguars in the past, I was always called a "flat capper".

Fine, I thought, you carry on thinking that while I get on with enjoying my motoring!

Once, a young colleague of mine (in his very early 20s, I was in my mid-30s at the time) looked at my XJS and went out and bought one. He liked the car anyway, but bought it because he liked the idea of an old man's car rolling up somewhere and a spotty yoof getting out of it!

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
I did get some abuse when I got my E about it being an old mans car (was 34 when I bought) that soon disappeared when I had a few of the same people out for a quick spin!!

exjag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 avantgarde 2010 3.0
Some men are so insecure with themselves that they have to build an artificial persona, partly to try to convince others of their 'masculinity', but mostly I suspect, to try to convince themselves that they're not as wimpy as they fear they are. The 'old man's car' bit is one manifestation of this syndrome. There's no such thing. I'm on my third 'old man's car', an E Class 350CDI 265ps, following a 3 litre S-Type Jag and an XJ Sovereign. All of them - and me - are capable of outrunning most of the boy racers. It's mostly down to driving style, concentration and awareness, which many if not most drivers do not possess. Where necessary, a bit of slick driving will make up for lower horsepower. There's nothing more entertaining than an 'old man's car' outpacing a boy racer's. As a retired grade 1 police advanced driver and motorcyclist, I've forgotten more about driving than many will ever know - and I am aware of my limits, and those of my car, which is more than many are.

Stuff the image, be your own man, and have some fun as a wolf in sheep's clothing.

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
I can see where the 'old man' thing comes from. I was 22 when I bought my 211. And when people asked me which car I had, and I said E Class, a lot of them did look shocked, 'you drive an e class?' I don't know if that is because they thought I am young, why would I drive an E Class!? However, I found it comfortable and so I bought it. In the end I did chop it in for an E46 M3, so maybe I was too young for it at the time!! I wouldn't say it is an 'old man's' car. More a middle aged man's car. 22 you are too young - bit of a sizeable car to be thrashing around (but of course, if you are married with kids at 22, why not?). Late 20s onwards it suits fine!! Just depends what you want out of a car. Age doesn't matter - more what you use a car for I suppose!

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom