E-Class. An old mans car?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
nah i just get the comment of "oh so the president has let you use the car today then?" :lol:

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Mcobinad...bizarre.

There is nothing bizarre.

To think people envy us because we drive MB says more about us than it does about them.

The rationle why I put up the videos up there is just for the doubting Thomases. I don't want people to think that I have framed up another racial story. The reason the man in the video referred to me as a footballer is that he could not think of any better thing (career wise), a young aspiring black man can do to make such a quick money to buy a prestige car other than football. Therefore, referring to me as a footballer was the easier way out for him but it was pretty insulting to my personality. The good thing about me is that I am always smiling, all the time, I am a very happy person. It's hard to see me angry even when people try to offend or hurt my feelings in words, deeds or action. So I don't allow trivial statements hurt me that much. I will always try to shun it. In general, French people have a retrospective way of viewing foreign nationals especially those of African/Asian or Caribbean descent. In France, I know how they relate to people from ethnic minorities. We have got couple of properties in France and I know how much French authorities have investigated into them to make sure that our family investments all come from legitimate sources. This is a country we have given so much in the form of tax. They tend to generalise us. Probably to them, back in the early 60's and 70's, things were a little rough for black people in their country and any part of Europe. Common, in today's global economy, the world has evolved but unfortunately for these people, their mindset did not evolve along. They still continue to dwell in this perpetual mindset of subjugating an entire race of people or probably seeing them as pawns in the hands of French people. Later, they will begin to elicit their good for nothing 'Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité' motto. If I underachieve, I want to blame it on myself and not the society.

Therefore, I believe the society cannot stop me. They will die trying because the God-given gut in me far supersedes the one in them. I have always used this slogan to give financial education to our younger generation 'There Is No Limit To What We Can Do'. This is the bedrock behind me that helps provide the flesh which clothes the dry bones of the prejudice of the society. This is the reason you see me working so hard and not allowing these people to hold me back. I always use my father as a perfect paradigm to set goals for my self. He is the mastermind of the family's success today. I know what he has been able to accomplish. If not for anything, my brothers are heading some of the top financial companies of this country, even some in Africa & the Caribbeans and you will never get to hear about them. We have got investments here and there, investments in oil and gas, but we keep a very very low profile.
In a recent thread, a member on here mentioned why Mercedes is no longer a premium brand and I replied that the true rich don't drive Mercedes or any premium brand out there. I don't think he understood why I said that but when I look at my dad, I believe he has achieved so much that if a premium brand was a prerequisite item for him, he will be driving one. He doesn't because he only sees such things as liabilities, things that don't put money into his portfolio but rather takes money out in diverse forms. He is far too busy buying assets and not liabilities. He drives his old car to keep a low profile. I will even think that my current generation is even flaunting a bit but we still manage to put it on a chokehold. I am not trying to come across as arrogant but such aspiring/enviable careers will never come to the minds of haters who think that all black people do is nothing but menial jobs and dirty businesses. The rationale behind our success is because we understood a long time ago that we were not favoured, not too many opportunities existed out there for us and the little we came across, we needed to make it the best/finest. For my family, it's either the best or nothing. Same old story goes down the family's genealogy. :)

Pappilo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport
My dad had a W126 280SE and being one not interested in cars, he seldom drove it so he let me drive it to keep it in good shape. I am only 5'6 and at the time (21 years) I was extremely thin, looked malnourished and would pass for a 16 year old. I could understand the gasps from older folks and my mates' parents when I arrived and stepped out of the car.

I had always dreamt of buying my own Mercedes. First, I dreamt about an A class, then the C class but by the time I could actualise this dream, a brand new, all new E Class was within reach so guess what? I bought it! Did I care for one second that my mates would think it was an old man/daddy's car? hell NO! I will be honest and admit I was quite taken aback by the size of the car seeing it for the first time at handover. I was 32, now with a protruding beer gut but some of my mates still poked fun at me and said stuff like "Is that your daddy's car" despite the known fact my dad lives 3000 miles away. I don't think it was jealousy but it must have been their own way of expressing an opinion about seeing me drive what to them is a "big man's" car.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I had my first 202 at age 28 then later (after another 202) i had the 210. i never really had any negative comments about what i was driving, despite me being only 5'4!!!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
There is nothing bizarre.

The rationle why ........

......... across, we needed to make it the best/finest. For my family, it's either the best or nothing. Same old story goes down the family's genealogy. :)

I don't disagree with your sentiments in relation to your personal experience nor that of your family. But I think your sentiments are rather more than what the OP was questioning...an old man's car...

My belief is that those who say it's an old man's car are merely having a little tease at the expense of the person with the MB...not envy, nor jealousy, just teasing.

Personally not something I have experienced...and I was (relatively) young when I got my first one.

There are plenty of people who are jealous...the quiet ones who will key your car...but then, they will key anyone's car.

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
ok i think Merc must be doing something right since early 2000 as as a few of us have proved mercs are bought by young people too and its just a case of once you have one you never let go hence the brand looking like its owned only by older people?

unsure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 2013 220 CDI
30 and picking up my E class tomorrow. Of course it's all relative, when I was 20, 30 was old, now it;s young!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do you know it was only a few years back where the general consensus was that only old men drove the 230, very different today where more younger than old drive them

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
Collected my Old Man's Coupe from the dealer today!
icon10.gif

I didn't feel too ancient as I overtook various BMWs and Audis on the 50-mile trip home.
icon12.gif

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I don't disagree with your sentiments in relation to your personal experience nor that of your family. But I think your sentiments are rather more than what the OP was questioning...an old man's car...

My belief is that those who say it's an old man's car are merely having a little tease at the expense of the person with the MB...not envy, nor jealousy, just teasing.

Personally not something I have experienced...and I was (relatively) young when I got my first one.

There are plenty of people who are jealous...the quiet ones who will key your car...but then, they will key anyone's car.

Not like you and I to agree but this is true.

People get ribbed for any choice of car, be it BMW (you're an Oakley wearing shiny suited salesman or a drug dealer) or Audi (you've no imagination) to VW (it's the same as a Skoda underneath) etc

But I reckon a flash car is more likely to be keyed. I read of a story of a Boxster owner (clearly the only reason for having one is you cannot afford a 911) who lived in London, the car was routinely vandalised, he got fed up and bought a posh Skoda Golf and there was no more vandalism. It wasn't like he fell out with anyone, had an ex wrecking havoc, just a flash motor.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
John does your car ever get dirty? :)

Yes. but I don't photograph it unless it's clean ;).

It's being serviced tomorrow, so I've just cleaned it inside and out again.

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
Yes. but I don't photograph it unless it's clean ;).

It's being serviced tomorrow, so I've just cleaned it inside and out again.

You need to be careful! That sounds like OCD creeping in, I thought I was the only one who would spend hours cleaning my car before it goes for a service:)

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
You need to be careful! That sounds like OCD creeping in, I thought I was the only one who would spend hours cleaning my car before it goes for a service:)

It's a well known fact that a clean car is faster, smoother, better handling, and is quieter and more economical.

I also believe if you give it to someone when it's dirty, they think you don't give a sh*t (unless there are circumstances - a long journey perhaps) and they may not give it the care it deserves.

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350d Amg Premium Saloon, Cavansite Blue, 2017
It's a well known fact that a clean car is faster, smoother, better handling, and is quieter and more economical.

That is so true, the question is, why is that, does our minds get tricked into feeling that.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

Well if you think about it,, just the weight of a few dead flies must slow the car down as well apart from the increased wind resistance.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom