E300 Hybrid - don't buy it for the mpg

jimben54

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Hybrid 2013
e330 hydrid

Hi ,
I have a 2012 e300 hydrid , can anyone advise , if the lithium battery fails
in the future , will the car revert to diesel only or is their a further process that needs to be carried out ,solely for diesel use, thanks

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hi ,
I have a 2012 e300 hydrid , can anyone advise , if the lithium battery fails
in the future , will the car revert to diesel only or is their a further process that needs to be carried out ,solely for diesel use, thanks

I suspect that if the lithium battery fails, the lithium battery will need to be replaced in order for the car to work properly...

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I saw a 16 year old Prius on the road the other day, so I suspect their batteries are lasting wel...

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Mind you I have never seen any reports of these batteries failing, new technology though but none the less.

I know from speaking with some Lexus technicians that battery failures are rare as hens teeth and Lexus back up their cars with rarely a quibble, not sure how Mercedes would react though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Mind you I have never seen any reports of these batteries failing, new technology though but none the less.

I know from speaking with some Lexus technicians that battery failures are rare as hens teeth and Lexus back up their cars with rarely a quibble, not sure how Mercedes would react though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The automotive Li-On batteries are supposedly very tough cookies indeed. There's a lot of tech buried in the charging system to keep it all in good health. It's one of these queer situations where laptop battery technology was scaled up to power a car, they found out some interesting stuff that has since been fed back into laptop batteries...

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
I tried the E300e but didn't get why they put it with a diesel engine, I think they have gone over to petrol for the W213?

It is great as a company car though, the BIK benefits alone makes it a real contender for anyone that has a company car.

Last edited:

didocool76

Registered
Reaction score
The current hybrid system is clearly a first generation system. You can only coast for very short distances (hundreds of metres rather than km), and as soon as you do more than rest your foot on the throttle the diesel engine fires up. It is fun trying to keep it coasting as long as possible, but it will never be far enough to have a significant impact on mpg.

I read recently that the 2nd generation hybrid Porsche Cayenne can now coast for a few km on electric power, and at a speed of up to 70mph. Presumably Mercedes, or their supplier, will have a similar upgrade waiting in the wings, or will adopt a plug-in hybrid for more models. You will still never get the extra cost back in fuel savings over a standard car, but back to the point of my original post again - surprisingly that isn't really the point.

Just an aside: in case Mercedes technical has nothing better to do than read forum posts - you need to better integrate the cruise control for the E300. It never coasts on downhill sections of the motorway, which means it is more economical to keep switching off the cruise control. That doesn't make a lot of sense.
My one never go for electricity, maybe one meter, it's the battery fail? Always start diesel engine.

Odoslané z VOG-L09 pomocou Tapatalku

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom