Full Respray Cost

F

Franky0782

How much would a full respray cost for an S-Class (W221, 2006+) in general? I'm thinking of white, or possibly black.
Are there different standards/qualities offered by the bodyshops, for instance, "showroom" quality?
Would something like showroom quality be suitable for the road?
Thanks!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A change of colour is a massive job as the whole car has to be gutted, and you are still left with the wrong colour under the bonnet plus a few other places, I would forget all about it as the car will be devalued.

OP
F

Franky0782

Cheers for your reply.
I can appreciate where you're coming from, but I'm after something individual (not cheesy or cringe-worthy) and turns heads.
I should point out that cars are my only passion, so I'm not too concerned about depreciation etc!
What about quality bodyshops in the North-West?

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Get it wrapped, much cheaper and you can just peel it off if you want to go back to original colour

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Get it wrapped, much cheaper and you can just peel it off if you want to go back to original colour

which is what a lad at work has very recently done ....... far cheaper that a respray :cool:

OP
F

Franky0782

I saw the term "wrapped" on a few sites actually.
What's all that about? Is it a quality finish that you'd expect for such a car/brand?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would not vinyl wrap, its OK, do a Google search on this and you can see some samples to see if it is for you.

Paint wise get a few estimates, most firms do very good work and a high standard of finish.

OP
F

Franky0782

Cheers.
Yeah, had a quick gander at the wrapping. Seems like it's ok for artwork or effects (like carbon-fibre), but I'm not sure if it'd be for me.
I've e-mailed a few paintshops, and not expecting a reply at this time of the evening, of course.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When you visit them do ask to see samples of their work. and ask if they are taking off all the handles and trim.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Cheers.
Yeah, had a quick gander at the wrapping. Seems like it's ok for artwork or effects (like carbon-fibre), but I'm not sure if it'd be for me.
I've e-mailed a few paintshops, and not expecting a reply at this time of the evening, of course.

The bodyshop I use wouldn't know what an email is :lol: He's only just progressed to the phone. ;-) but does a good job ...... but he needs a kick up the harris to get him going.

OP
F

Franky0782

Like I say, I'm not expecting one to be shown at the Geneva Motorshow or whatever, but I do expect a decent level of quality and finish! :-D

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A mask and blow----job is a whole different kettle of fish to a strip down and refinish.
Removing trim, handles,etc would be at least 1 or 2 days work.
Masking up instead is not very good.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
how about plastidip? Its even cheaper than wrap...very good results too.

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
I disagree about wraps not being very good...I have seen some full body wraps and they are very good. As with any job, find a reputable outfit and not just the cheapest.

Same goes for painting and as said earlier, if you want a full respray then get it done properly with all trim removed otherwise it will look far worse than a wrap!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I remember painting some box vans with coach paint and a roller,
should I send a quote ? :D:D

They did look very good and the fly that landed on one of the bonnets made an excellent impromptu mascot. :D

Then there was a local man that used to paint them and thinners off the trim before it dried.
A coat of fake rain and into a night auction.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Wraps cost around £1200+, A decent repaint will cost from £1500+, There are guys out there doing same day repaints from around £500+, but to be avoided.
underbonnet painting isn't really an issue these days as many manufacturers don't colour paint in there,
As said, get recommendations before committing to anything.

wheelie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 Sport
Take a look at the wheeler dealer episodes, quite a few have required respray and when they do they publish te companies they've used at the end credits.

I've got a few useful details from the credits list

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom