Headlight randomly came on, on my R230 hours after use.

RyanSL500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 Mercedes SL500 and 2014 Mercedes C220
Evening all,

I hope you’re all well. A bit of a weird one this evening with my R230. So in light of all the rain we’ve had over the last couple of days, I’ve checked my SL500 for any water ingress and couldn’t find any damp in the main areas. However, as I was about to go to bed, I did my usually checks looking outside at the cars and noticed that the dipped lights were on, on the Sl500. The last time the car was on was yesterday and it’s been locked for the past 24 hours. So I found this a little odd..

Because it appears that I’ve got some sort of issue with the antenna for the remote central locking, I have to be very close to the car to unlock it! So when I went outside to check up on why the lights were on, I noticed that only the left hand side dipped headlight was on? The rear lights were not on either which makes puzzles me more. As soon as I unlocked the car, the light went out and all seems well now.

The light switch is currently in the auto position but I suspect the culprit is that rain has got in somewhere!

I’m just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this?

OP
RyanSL500

RyanSL500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update: the left hand light comes back on 15 minutes or so. I’ve gone out 3 times now and unlocked and locked it and each time the light comes back on?! I’ve turned the light switch off of auto, left the car unlocked one time and tried switch the ignition on and off (now messages yet). I give up tonight and will just plug up the car to my Ctek trickle charger to deal with the flat battery or get RAC out!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Make sure your emergency key works in the drivers door and boot as I fear you’ll be need them soon.
Sounds very much like water in the electrics somewhere

OP
RyanSL500

RyanSL500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As expected, the remote central locking wasn’t working (but the light was off at least!).

Fortunately the key works in the drivers door so I could get in. I put the key in the ignition to be greeted with Christmas lights. However the car started and I was greeted with the ‘consumers offline message’ as expected and then a surprise ESP visit workshop message. But this seems to be linked to the low consumer battery so I just sat in the car with it running and fortunately both messages went.

I then thought I would take it for a spin and part way through the drive I was greeted with an exclamation mark and ‘service brake Visit workshop!’ Message. I’ll be interested to know if this is just water getting in somewhere or if I need a new SBC pump! Will give it a couple of days and then check again. If I still have this message, I’ll be booking it in for diagnosing.

I’ve checked around the car and I can’t find any obvious areas where water has got in apart from one area which is where the roof and A pillar meet and it’s only the odd drip. I’ll be putting a couple of towels on the drivers seat in case this is the perpetrator.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom