HELP! My Mercedes 320 CLK has a water leak in the front passenger footwell

sirswift

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Cabrio 2001
I have the same problem with a leak in the passenger footwell in my 2000 CLK320. I'm not familiar enough with the use of this forum - I can't see the drawings Television refers to on the 26-4, although I can see pictures from Sirswift on the same date - can someone enlighten me? In any case, my issue is trying to find the drain holes so I can check them, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Don't worry...I can't see Television's images wither; I don't think they are still up. Anyway, your issue is different than mine. If you look down in the area between your radiator reservoir and your windscreen you will see a barrel shaped piece of plastic with a dull thin black flap. That is what you need to clean out. You can lift it up with your finger and feel the debris that is clogging it. Snap off the windscreen on the passenger side and look down into the corner; you will see it at the bottom. Just run a jet stream of water into it and it will blast the debris out. Don’t worry about flooding your passenger compartment again as you won't let the water rise that high in through the fresh air vent at the top. if it gets that high, stop the water and shut use your finger or a screw driver to wiggle the debris out the front of the flap. There is another one of these valves (called a reed valve) in the middle, just above the transmission and under the windscreen. Do the same with a graden hose. All of the windscreen snaps off for easy access.

I found out what is causing my leak today and will post it separately.

Last edited:

sirswift

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Cabrio 2001
Figured out cause of leak on drivers foot well...

I spotted the culprit of my driver’s side leak. There is material (same type that is used on the fire wall and attached to the underside of the hood) that is above the transmission that has pulled away. I can't figure out what has made this happen, but when the water falls through the hole I closed up it hits this material and it acts like a funnel and brings it back into the fire wall instead of just dropping to the ground through the engine compartment.

Anyone else have this problem? I will stop by my dealership on Saturday and ask them if they can figure out the part number for this material and have it replaced.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
passenger side leak is easy to find. with the bonnet open, you can se the air box at the base of the screen. run your hand to the outside bottom of the box and there is a rubber seal/valve, wiggle your finger about in there and you will unblock it, then flush with water to get the remaining debris out. I was stuck on this when I first got my clk, but a user "uncle benz" demonstrated how to clean this at a meet and its not blocked up since

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Malc anychance you can send me the instructions to clean the airintake drains?

dadala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 CLK 320; '96 E320
water collector drain problem -2000 CLK 320

I can let you have the instructions for clearing the air intake drains and do not forget the main box drain under the car, just above the gearbox passenger side 545 in the picture

B83045000156.0240.gif
I have water in left, front footwell (driver side in U.S./passenger side in England?). I found and cleaned drain of window water collector for right side, but can't locate drain for the collector on the left side - which is the side having the soaked footwell. Could you please furnish to me the instructions for accessing and cleaning the collector for that side? Thank you, dadala (danellis@cox.net)

sweeper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 Viano 2.2 R350cdi
passenger side leak is easy to find. with the bonnet open, you can se the air box at the base of the screen. run your hand to the outside bottom of the box and there is a rubber seal/valve, wiggle your finger about in there and you will unblock it, then flush with water to get the remaining debris out. I was stuck on this when I first got my clk, but a user "uncle benz" demonstrated how to clean this at a meet and its not blocked up since

This is spot on, very common problem and very easy to cure, is a little tight getting your hand down near the hinge, tends to seal itself in hot weather or when the car has stood for a while and often end up blowing the resistor pack on the blower motor, as mine did.

jim irwin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 sl 320/2010 e 350Cdi
water drains bottom of heater box

I can let you have the instructions for clearing the air intake drains and do not forget the main box drain under the car, just above the gearbox passenger side 545 in the picture

B83045000156.0240.gif

malcolm could u send me the drawing showing pipe 545 please my sons clk is still leaking many thanks jim

jamesirwin@sky.com

Ibb1982

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK200 Avantgarde
Hi MB forum members!
First post, soo glad I found this thread, as I have the same issue (only cropped up yesterday for me).

Malcolm, please could you send me instructions too?
My email is ibb1982 @ hotmail. com
Sorry about the spacing, its to avoid internet bots sending me junk :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Your car a 208 or 209 please, I only have limited info

Julsk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 430 Avantgarde Convertible
Help!

I too have a CLK convertible with a leaky nearside foot well (front through to back). Please excuse the lack of proper terms, but I have already found the little rubber thing next to the aircon box with the rubber flap at the bottom, it was full of mulch which I removed and the water flows through it well. The footwell is still filling up though. Is it possible that there are more leaves down in the drain space behind the wheel as this seems to be where the water runds down to and then ends up in my footwell? I'm a bit lost here. :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Your heater box has a drain, these can block, I think that they come out behind the rear section of the nearside wheel arch liner the drain is 545

index.php

Julsk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 430 Avantgarde Convertible
Ok, thanks. I'll see if I can get behind there tomorrow. The rear well has refilled tonight. I just cant imagine where so much water is coming from. :shock:

garyph

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk/2000/320
I have also have leaking clk 320 (2000 model).water coming in on passenger side. Car has has lots of leaves fall on it lately.Could someone please send instructions/diagram to unblock air intake drains. email gary.hubrig@hotmail.co.uk thanks

Top Bottom