Hole Blown in Intercooler Pipe Now DPF code and engine Light On

PaulOD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI Sport/2013/2.2 diesel
Hi All
2012 W212 220cdi Sport, 130k with full history, A few weeks back the Mrs was driving and noticed the engine light on, when I checked I could hear the air escaping on boost, put it on the lift and seen a 2 inch hole on the Intercooler pipe, so I ordered a new pipe and fitted it, checked for any other issues while I was down there and cleared the code.
The car started fine no Air sounds and cleared the code and the light was off (All seemed Good), took her for a spin, only half boost, no kick-down and won't pass 3000 revs and the light came back on again. No smoke, No rattles, sounds the same as before the light.
Plugged it back in again and showed DPF fault, spoke to the MERC dealership and their mechanic and explained all, he suggested the DPF sensor, which I replaced today, cleared fault codes again took her for a spin again, same thing low boost, light stayed of for about 6 mile but then came back on again with the same DPF fault.
Getting to the end of the little expertise I have, Any ideas folks or point me to a similar but resolved thread.

Cheers
Paul

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
It now needs a software flash on the engine ECU and a force rejen using a star machine, we do two/three of these a day now days across all models!!

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Your dpf is clogged up.

OP
PaulOD

PaulOD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It now needs a software flash on the engine ECU and a force rejen using a star machine, we do two/three of these a day now days across all models!!
Thanks for the great feedback, I went for a real long run spin on Saturday in the hope the Re-Gen would start, 100 miles in all, no change. I take it that its a STAR only ECU flash that will resolve this, I mean will no other diagnostic setup can do it?

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Yet another "it's probably just a faulty sensor" knee jerk from the main stealer, ******s.

OP
PaulOD

PaulOD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yet another "it's probably just a faulty sensor" knee jerk from the main stealer, ******s.
The unfortunately funny thing is back a while ago I had much the same issue only proper Limp mode 1000 rpm only, Merc guys know I'm a grease monkey told me "it's probably just a faulty sensor" so bright boy me, not believing the Merc guys as you do, started and took the EGR valve out and it was spotless (And a real pain to get at).
After much head scratching and tea with diesel flavor rich tea's I went for the sensor (the one below the intake, screwed to the block I think) and that sorted it until now. Its all fun and games, the joys of the 3 pointed star.

OP
PaulOD

PaulOD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Live update, I'm sitting in the Merc dealership, we had agreed to do a diagnostic and see what STAR showed up before going any further.
Seems it's the dpf is almost completely blocked, they mentioned over 300(not sure what measurement that is) but he says he's never seen one that bad . Now they are taking her on the road with a lap top to force regenerate, they mentioned it needs to to be around 150 before the sensor will activate the normal Regen process we'll see how it goes from that...

OP
PaulOD

PaulOD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well all's well that ends well, Merc back to normal, plus a software update that was pending, wash and hover out for the bargain price of €200.. plus s free Mercedes Me adapter. happy enough even though the dpf sensor was not necessary, nearly 50km done by the "Technician" to get the dpf cleared out, no warning lights on now and power is restored, I did appreciate the Merc service guys input and the fact that they didn't fit anything or do anything with consulting me first.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Hi Paul, only seeing this now but too late. I did get a forced regen from Delphi or wurth software on my Vito OM651 engine which I think is the same engine as yours for any future reoccurrences. my DPF was at 250 and the regen was straight forward from the laptop. but seems like you got a very fair deal there

Last edited:

Wayne Madden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E220 AMG / 2012 / 2.1
Hi All
2012 W212 220cdi Sport, 130k with full history, A few weeks back the Mrs was driving and noticed the engine light on, when I checked I could hear the air escaping on boost, put it on the lift and seen a 2 inch hole on the Intercooler pipe, so I ordered a new pipe and fitted it, checked for any other issues while I was down there and cleared the code.
The car started fine no Air sounds and cleared the code and the light was off (All seemed Good), took her for a spin, only half boost, no kick-down and won't pass 3000 revs and the light came back on again. No smoke, No rattles, sounds the same as before the light.
Plugged it back in again and showed DPF fault, spoke to the MERC dealership and their mechanic and explained all, he suggested the DPF sensor, which I replaced today, cleared fault codes again took her for a spin again, same thing low boost, light stayed of for about 6 mile but then came back on again with the same DPF fault.
Getting to the end of the little expertise I have, Any ideas folks or point me to a similar but resolved thread.

Cheers
Paul
Hello Paul having a similar problem was the pipe easy to replace and was it the one on the passenger side?

OP
PaulOD

PaulOD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep it was easy to replace once you get all the guards off and yes it was on the passenger side.

Wayne Madden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep it was easy to replace once you get all the guards off and yes it was on the passenger side.
when you say the guards you mean on the front left wheel?

Wayne Madden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Also did they confirm that this is what cause the DPF to fill up? WhatsApp Image 2021-04-15 at 09.40.27(1).jpeg

OP
PaulOD

PaulOD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Screenshot_20210415-100009.jpg
Pipe Number 30

OP
PaulOD

PaulOD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They did mention it as a possibility, but I think it's not related as I'm still having issues with the car going into low boost mode and showing "unknown error" once cleared the car runs fine for a few months or a few days

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom