I can't stop thinking about the R230 SL 500 - and now I want one!

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Good luck with it all Conor, I’m sure you’ll keep us up to speed on developments :D

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Good luck with it all Conor, I’m sure you’ll keep us up to speed on developments :D

Thank you and you bet I will :D

EDIT: With that in mind. Here are pics as posted on eBay - warts an all!

As previously mentioned - riding high. Which I have seen on other adverts. Hopefully it's just on high setting (does it go that high) and the suspension isn't gone.

I am serious about concluding this deal, but it could still fall through. If there are major issues with the car and not mentioned, the car was misadvertised, which _could_ result in me withdrawing.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Thank you and you bet I will :D

EDIT: With that in mind. Here are pics as posted on eBay - warts an all!

As previously mentioned - riding high. Which I have seen on other adverts. Hopefully it's just on high setting (does it go that high) and the suspension isn't gone.

I am serious about concluding this deal, but it could still fall through. If there are major issues with the car and not mentioned, the car was misadvertised, which _could_ result in me withdrawing.
Congratulations on the purchase. Normal ride height is 70cm from floor to centre point of wheel arch all round. It doesn't look particularly high to me but make sure the car is on level ground and measure the height to be sure.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Well done - looks lovely. If it's sitting higher than 70cm ground to top of wheel arch they can be reset via Star

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting re: height.

I need to make a checklist for ABC.

In other news.. the SL 55 AMG F1 Edition owner came back to me. He gave the VIN, and it has F1 pack. Anybody fancy what you guys call a bargain. Seller seems a bit brash though..

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Lovely car - same colour as our SL. I recently just missed out on a superb SL65 in Jasper Blue as well.:(

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
IMG_20190810_134553.jpg Same colour (and price) as our old one Conor :cool:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I agree about wear and tear for general cars. Maybe I am being a little harsh, but this is a modern classic and sold as such, with dealer calling it mint when I refer to the price. The stuff I pointed out are easily fixed by somebody in the trade.. Polishing the scratch and light refurb of wheels isn't a lot to ask for.

I feel that those things should affect the price at 25k. My (inexperienced) opinion is that to aspire to a price that is generally regarded as pricey, there has to be little fault to find, especially low hanging fruit as mentioned above.

This car was previously listed at £29,975 and dropped to £24,995 on September 6th.. On sale since June 18th.

Re: warranty - Dealer said it is comprehensive.. Generally 3 months, but he would give me 6. I asked him about financial cap and he said.. blah... I have a workshop, take it to me.. blah.. I will look after you. May very well be the case, but I would discuss that further if buying.

If the warranty will not cover the ABC system in its entirety, I will ask for no warranty and have the price adjusted accordingly.

I agree. At 25K it's strong money, even with the low mileage, and I would expect the car to be nearly problem free. Especially regarding things that the dealer shoukd be doing already (wheel refurb, body polish etc!).

There are many dealers that just buy from auctions, wash the cars and sell them, having not added any value whatsoever.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I agree. At 25K it's strong money, even with the low mileage, and I would expect the car to be nearly problem free. Especially regarding things that the dealer shoukd be doing already (wheel refurb, body polish etc!).

There are many dealers that just buy from auctions, wash the cars and sell them, having not added any value whatsoever.
Ajlsl's 600 was a bargain compared to that. Absolutely mint, under 40k miles, full spec (only thing missing was Linguatronic) and was under £20k.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So I just spoke with the owner and got the registration.

He said the suspension is all fine and never had an issue. Admitted there are a few bits and bobs that will need doing in not distant future. Can probably be summarised by the MOT that passed on August 8th 2019 (11 month MOT is a bonus).

Worth noting too that the only MOT failure was for exposed tire ply/cords. No suspension issue. One strut has ball joint play as advisory in 2012, but sorted I assume.

These are the advisories from August 8th, 2019 MOT:
  • Rear Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread
  • Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened
  • Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
  • N/S/F Brake pipe corroded
  • O/S/F Brake pipe corroded
  • Front to rear brake pipe corroded
  • Centre stop lamp inop
  • Nail in O/S/R Tyre
I will address all of these items. I'll be getting an Indie to do the brake pipes. I remember reading before they weren't a big job.. front to rear could add cost though?

Centre stop light doesn't seem expensive - probably fun to fit :/

EDIT: Jim Google brought me right back home to answer.. :)

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
One thing I always do with any car is ask the seller for a full list of faults, then get them to sign a letter saying that they know of no other faults other than those disclosed. You can then check back with previous garages etc and see what they have on record. If anything comes up and you can prove the previous owner knew, then you have them under contract law. Been there, done that and got a resolution - against a solicitor as well of all people !

People often cave in when asked "are there any faults at all, mechanical, electrical, suspension etc" I always word the enquiry as "I don't mind faults as long as I am aware beforehand".

If it falls through there's still the F1 at a potentially silly price, unless somene else snaffles it....

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One thing I always do with any car is ask the seller for a full list of faults, then get them to sign a letter saying that they know of no other faults other than those disclosed. You can then check back with previous garages etc and see what they have on record. If anything comes up and you can prove the previous owner knew, then you have them under contract law. Been there, done that and got a resolution - against a solicitor as well of all people !

People often cave in when asked "are there any faults at all, mechanical, electrical, suspension etc" I always word the enquiry as "I don't mind faults as long as I am aware beforehand".

If it falls through there's still the F1 at a potentially silly price, unless somene else snaffles it....

Good idea... that F1 looks menacing..! It is currently out of MOT though.

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I think it was LK who commented about the varying price on this car and although I haven't bought a car from them they have a very good reputation and are local to me just down the road in Colchester. One thing that slightly surprises me as being missing, and despite not initially being bothered the one thing I'm glad I have on my lowly 350 that I know LK is a fan of, is a pano roof?
I also notice that the aerial on the rear wing is missing but I'm sure they would sort that, unfortunately being stuck with one car and coveting the thought of another GSD a C63 estate is likely to be a more realistic next car. :(
https://www.mantiscars.co.uk/used-mercedes-benz-sl-colchester-essex-1824865

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think it was LK who commented about the varying price on this car and although I haven't bought a car from them they have a very good reputation and are local to me just down the road in Colchester. One thing that slightly surprises me as being missing, and despite not initially being bothered the one thing I'm glad I have on my lowly 350 that I know LK is a fan of, is a pano roof?
I also notice that the aerial on the rear wing is missing but I'm sure they would sort that, unfortunately being stuck with one car and coveting the thought of another GSD a C63 estate is likely to be a more realistic next car. :(
https://www.mantiscars.co.uk/used-mercedes-benz-sl-colchester-essex-1824865

Yes, they do look like a fairly large organisation, where reputation does count. Especially at the level they are trading.

I know the price has been dropped on AutoTrader twice in September.. this leads me to believe that the stuff powered by the AutoTrader platform (their own site being) would have been updated. But any other sites might have kept the old price if they forgot to update.

Personally the Pano roof doesn't bother me.. I don't know why. For me this car is likely to only come out when the roof will be down.

Well spotted with the earlier, I likely would have missed that. I am sure that would be a good bargaining tool.

Certainly get something the can accommodate a doggy - dogs are the best!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom