I can't stop thinking about the R230 SL 500 - and now I want one!

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Interesting.. I'm waiting on the reg plate. Imagine if it was yours..

Haha, no I know where our old one is and it was offered back to me for 3700 from the chap who I sold it to, it was passed on to another owner who also offered it back to me for 4, but we had already bought the other 500 and the SLK 350. (We are in the same circles as they say) There was one issue with the old blue car and that was the air conditioning never worked. It was re-gassed when we had it but the pipes to the rad from the pump were perished so wasn't holding the pressurised coolant stuff. It was booked in to have the pipes changed when a lady drove into the side and wrote it off. The car was repaired and back in use again shortly after.
Our '05 car has no issues like all the SL 500's for sale, I am guessing that is why its not sold yet :rolleyes:

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Picking it up today.. I have a feeling that I should inspect this car is if I was going to view based on an advert. Here's what I was thinking of doing:

One note is that the MOT says "center stop lamp inop".. would I nit pick on that?

I'm wondering how hard you guys reckon I should be... I mean, i'm happy to buy the car but if I start discovering things wrong that weren't mentioned in the eBay advert then there is an element of mis-selling and should perhaps haggle? Either that or maybe i'm just being a miserable so and so.. opinions please?

Here is a list of checks I am planning on doing if you guys are bored... :rolleyes:

Pre Purchase Inspection

Administrative

• Validate claims on the eBay listing
    • Service history
    • Mileage
  • Validate VIN against RAC report

From Inside
  • Windows work
  • Check roof opens / closes
  • Seats work
    • Motors
    • Heated
    • Cooled
  • A/C Works - Cold air
  • ABC
    • Car goes up/down uniformly and quick (all around)
    • Cycle ABC button a few times - check no lights appear in dash
    • Check fluid - Dominant colour to be green, not black.

Driving

• Instrument cluster working at on position
    • All lights - see below
  • No major knocks / clunks in general
  • No major knocks / clunks when on full steering lock
  • If engine light comes on - use OBDII scanner (lookup codes)

Outside
  • Check engine oil via dipstick for cream colour (if dipstick available)
  • Check engine for oil leaks.
  • Check body work in line with eBay
    • Paint chip
    • Leather scratch
  • Wheels not completely mangled! - Some scuffing is fine.

Things I am willing to pretty much ignore

• Brakes (as long as they work)
  • Tire condition (as long as not completely bare and illegal)

Instrument cluster lights
  • Check engine
  • Fuel
  • SRS
  • Crash / Roll bar
  • ABS
  • Seatbelt
  • "Brake"
  • Yellow - caution
  • 2 red cars - to the right of yellow caution

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Check for water in boot under false floor.
Check colour of ABC fluid (a drop in a piece of white tissue will do - should not be black but may be green).

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
Picking it up today.. I have a feeling that I should inspect this car is if I was going to view based on an advert. Here's what I was thinking of doing:

One note is that the MOT says "center stop lamp inop".. would I nit pick on that?

I'm wondering how hard you guys reckon I should be... I mean, i'm happy to buy the car but if I start discovering things wrong that weren't mentioned in the eBay advert then there is an element of mis-selling and should perhaps haggle? Either that or maybe i'm just being a miserable so and so.. opinions please?

Here is a list of checks I am planning on doing if you guys are bored... :rolleyes:

Pre Purchase Inspection

Administrative

• Validate claims on the eBay listing
    • Service history
    • Mileage
  • Validate VIN against RAC report

From Inside
  • Windows work
  • Seats work
    • Motors
    • Heated
    • Cooled
  • A/C Works - Cold air
  • ABC
    • Car goes up/down uniformly and quick (all around)
    • Cycle ABC button a few times - check no lights appear in dash
    • Check fluid - Dominant colour to be green, not black.

Driving

• Instrument cluster working at on position
    • All lights - see below
  • No major knocks / clunks in general
  • No major knocks / clunks when on full steering lock
  • If engine light comes on - use OBDII scanner (lookup codes)

Outside
  • Check engine oil via dipstick for cream colour (if dipstick available)
  • Check engine for oil leaks.
  • Check body work in line with eBay
    • Paint chip
    • Leather scratch
  • Wheels not completely mangled! - Some scuffing is fine.

Things I am willing to pretty much ignore

• Brakes (as long as they work)
  • Tire condition (as long as not completely bare and illegal)

Instrument cluster lights
  • Check engine
  • Fuel
  • SRS
  • Crash / Roll bar
  • ABS
  • Seatbelt
  • "Brake"
  • Yellow - caution
  • 2 red cars - to the right of yellow caution
I had the centre stop lamp changed on my 2007 SL350 3-4 years ago for about £80 at a main dealer. The sealing gasket fails and knocks out some or all of the LEDs. Important to use a new one so you get a new gasket.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Be wary if seller has warmed up the engine prior to your visit, is another that sprang to mind .

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had the centre stop lamp changed on my 2007 SL350 3-4 years ago for about £80 at a main dealer. The sealing gasket fails and knocks out some or all of the LEDs. Important to use a new one so you get a new gasket.

Fair enough. I have priced it already.... Just wondering if I should be miserable bastard if unmentioned items like this start springing up around the car..?

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
He has already said it needs a service and will need new brakes relatively soon ish.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
He is also giving me a cover for the car... So swings and roundabouts.

I can't see myself being tough on the price unless something serious is wrong.

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
He is also giving me a cover for the car... So swings and roundabouts.

I can't see myself being tough on the price unless something serious is wrong.
He who dares Rodney

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Be wary if seller has warmed up the engine prior to your visit, is another that sprang to mind .

I thought of that but non runner really.. he will be picking me up at station. I'm not too worried about that anyway. That engine is supposedly decent enough.. i'll have to take a chance on that.

Anything very bad should probably throw a light anyway... :grimace

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Is the seller offering a warranty, if so what duration and with who and does this incur an extra charge?

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is the seller offering a warranty, if so what duration and with who and does this incur an extra charge?

No warranty has been mentioned. So far I believe this is a private seller.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
id be as harsh as poss conor , you and he will be aware of how the bills can stack up on an SL , if he has nothing to hide he will be right as rain with anything you pick up on pal

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
We bought our 2003 SL500 5 or 6 years ago unseen from a dealer up north, he gave it the once over for me when I asked the important questions (ABC, PSE and water in the boot) which all came back 'ABC working no leaks, PSE working and no water in the boot'
The dealer met us at the station and we drove off in our lovely Jasper Blue car with light grey trim and dark ash wood finish. What he didn't tell us was the engine mounts were shot, and the MAF Sensor had passed its use by date. Horrible vibration at idle (engine mounts) and bunny hoping and erratic gear changes were the other symptoms, but the car drove beautifully apart from those two issues. It had 102,000 miles and we paid £6000. In fact it was the best driving R230 I have ever driven, its body stayed dead still and level over our horrible Fenland Rds, our other R230's seem to follow the humps and bumps for some reason. The only major issues we had with the car after I replaced the engine mounts and MAF Sensor for the next 30,000 miles was a leaking ABC Radiator (a bolt had come loose and wore a hole in the alloy, and the ignition died. (Thanks to SBC Johnny on here) that was fixed, and the micro switch in the boot failed when the Missus was at the dump and the roof wouldn't fold back into the boot :rolleyes:

There will be a few small (??) issues with your new purchase Conor.
I found out this when looking for a R230 a few years ago Even my 55 had issues but was a good bargaining ploy with the dealer ;)
Not so easy to bargain with privateers :(
Good luck :)

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
id be as harsh as poss conor , you and he will be aware of how the bills can stack up on an SL , if he has nothing to hide he will be right as rain with anything you pick up on pal

Fair enough but I will weight stuff against the cost of the cover, which is being thrown in. I'm trying to not breach the line between being a tough trader and being outright unreasonable douchebag.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What are the terms from your winning bid on Ebay?
If it's not as described then I think you can negotiate or walk, it does depend on how the advert is written and the T&C's

When I've sold vehicles they are always "Bought as seen and tested" with a copy of the below for both the purchaser and seller.

Car buyer’s/seller’s contract

Car details

Make...............................................................................

Model..............................................................................

Registration number.......................................................

Mileage...........................................................................

Vehicle identification number matches the V5C document? Yes/no

Registration Document completed by buyer/seller Yes/no

Registration Document (V5C) exchanged Yes/no

Buyer has received V5C/2 (green slip) Yes/no

Notes/comments .......................................................................................………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The undersigned purchaser acknowledges receipt of the above vehicle in exchange for the cash sum of £..........., this being the price agreed by the purchaser with the vendor for the above-named vehicle, receipt of which the vendor hereby acknowledges. It is understood by the purchaser that the vehicle is sold as seen, tried and approved without guarantee.

Purchaser........................................................................ Vendor............................................................................. Date.................................................................................

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We bought our 2003 SL500 5 or 6 years ago unseen from a dealer up north, he gave it the once over for me when I asked the important questions (ABC, PSE and water in the boot) which all came back 'ABC working no leaks, PSE working and no water in the boot'
The dealer met us at the station and we drove off in our lovely Jasper Blue car with light grey trim and dark ash wood finish. What he didn't tell us was the engine mounts were shot, and the MAF Sensor had passed its use by date. Horrible vibration at idle (engine mounts) and bunny hoping and erratic gear changes were the other symptoms, but the car drove beautifully apart from those two issues. It had 102,000 miles and we paid £6000. In fact it was the best driving R230 I have ever driven, its body stayed dead still and level over our horrible Fenland Rds, our other R230's seem to follow the humps and bumps for some reason. The only major issues we had with the car after I replaced the engine mounts and MAF Sensor for the next 30,000 miles was a leaking ABC Radiator (a bolt had come loose and wore a hole in the alloy, and the ignition died. (Thanks to SBC Johnny on here) that was fixed, and the micro switch in the boot failed when the Missus was at the dump and the roof wouldn't fold back into the boot :rolleyes:

There will be a few small (??) issues with your new purchase Conor.
I found out this when looking for a R230 a few years ago Even my 55 had issues but was a good bargaining ploy with the dealer ;)
Not so easy to bargain with privateers :(
Good luck :)

You paid £6000 five or six years ago...how does one view that? Am I getting robbed or is my price reasonable considering inflation and potential depreciation curve economics?

Either way, i'm not getting hung up on that :)

Thanks for the insight.. Like I say, i'm not too pushed about minor "ish" things, I consider engine mounts and MAF to fall into that category if I am honest. Call me stupid perhaps.

Time will tell.

Actually, I need to get somebody and test my engine mounts in S212 (and potentially this R230) -- I had the car inspected after purchase and Indy said needed new mounts.. he also said I needed two new NOx sensors in exhaust, or i'd fail MOT. It has passed 2 MOTs since..:rolleyes: I didn't go back to him, and that was the moment I decided to become an Indy myself :geek:

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
how did he decide the NOX sensors were goosed if it passed its mot and there are no faults on the emissions system ?

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom