Infotainment System Upgrade Options/Opinions (ML W166)

Ramaya

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350CDI BlueTech AMG-Line (2015)
Maybe this has been discussed before but I would like an opinion.

Recently got an ML and looking on what options do I have to add a bit of functionality to the current infotainment system.
My car is a 2015 model with command I believe and a reversing camera.

The options I have gathered so far:

- Android Display, this seem to come in two sizes 10" and 9" I am straggling to find a decent site for the smaller one. The reason I'm considering the small one is that I would like to keep a relative OEM feel on the car.
- Apple car play Chip, I am a bit scared of tackling this one on my own as it requires some kind of space in order to fit the chip in.

With regards to the apple car play chip I have seen systems of "UK origin" (almost 100% still Chinese) such as:

https://integratedautomotive.co.uk/ at about £450

or a Chinese substitute:

https://bit.ly/2TYND9P at about £250

I'm struggling to understand what is the big difference between the 2 and why would I go for the Uk one over the other if I am doing it DIY in both occasions. Any opinions?

Has anyone done any of the above mods that can give me some sort of steer towards the better option?

Any help is welcome, which ever option I go for I will try to document for everyone else.

Attachments

• WDC1660242A547488.pdf
    14 KB · Views: 6

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
What functionailty do you want to add, if you have a reversing camera you will know when you select reverse or look on the rear door. I dont see reversing camera in the options list.

In terms of built quality, The Command units are pretty damn robust, i wouldnt want to swap over to a chinese unit.

I am sure Alfie from Commandonline will join the post soon

OP
Ramaya

Ramaya

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do have a reversing camera not sure why its not showing on the list.

I want to have Waze + Spotify I don't really care about anything else. My list says I got 3 year free Navi upgrades which I doubt they have been done. Could I request them even now that the car is 5+ year old?

I understand what you are saying about the Command units but are they still not originating from China.

If someone could explain to me what more I am getting over the other then I could be persuaded.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Merc command units were historically made by Blaupunckt, Bosch, not to be compared with Chinese units.

Re your question, have a look at whaat each provides and determine what you need.

3 year update is not 5 years, why update the Nav software if you plan to replace the entire unit.

Good luck and keep us posted to the refit!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
How about adding Apple Carplay and or Android Auto functionality via an aftermarket addon. If you replace COMAND with an aftermarket solution you will lose all vehicle setup functionality.

OP
Ramaya

Ramaya

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How about adding Apple Carplay and or Android Auto functionality via an aftermarket addon. If you replace COMAND with an aftermarket solution you will lose all vehicle setup functionality.

This is what I would like to do not completely replace the COMAND unit itself but rather just add a little more functionality.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
If you have a reverse camera then it has been fitted after build time as it is not documented on your datacard.

The integrated automotive system is the best of breed. The board is made in China but the S/W and the other components are UK made and assembled.this will be your best bet to integrating Apple CarPlay / Android Auto into the car.

OP
Ramaya

Ramaya

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you have a reverse camera then it has been fitted after build time as it is not documented on your datacard.

The integrated automotive system is the best of breed. The board is made in China but the S/W and the other components are UK made and assembled.this will be your best bet to integrating Apple CarPlay / Android Auto into the car.

Alfie thanks for the comment. The camera seems to have all the OEM functions, turning lines, etc. will I be able to integrate that into your system? Is this a task one can undertake alone DIY as I am assuming you are based in Surrey?

Lastly, does it have an external mic or it integrates with the onboard one?

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Alfie thanks for the comment. The camera seems to have all the OEM functions, turning lines, etc. will I be able to integrate that into your system? Is this a task one can undertake alone DIY as I am assuming you are based in Surrey?

Lastly, does it have an external mic or it integrates with the onboard one?
Hi,

Some of the aftermarket kits have lines. Yours cannot be full factory camera because to code it all and properly calibrate the lines, requires it to noted on the datacard. That said it will work with our Apple CarPlay / Android Auto system. The system uses the existing microphone in the car.

We are in Surrey yes. It can be a DIY install and we would be available to support the installation.

OP
Ramaya

Ramaya

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the further info.
Well that seems like a very good product and by the sounds of it is doable as a DIY.
Think is going to be my x-mas present.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom