Intermittent starting problem

Mr Black

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 2007 311cdi
Hi all.
Im new to the site and have read on here and other forums peoples posts about the same issue I have with my 2007 311cdi sprinter. But nobody has ever posted a solution when they find out what the issue is. It seems a common fault so surely there is a common solution??? ( or am I being naive)?
You guys have probably heard this one a million times but here goes........

Basically when I turn the key to start the van I get all the usual dash lights but no glowplug light and of course without this the engine is dead and won't crank. Sometimes it will take 4 or 5 attempts taking the key out and putting it back in again other times you can be sat there for 2 hours before it finally decides to come on and then other times it will start first time for a couple of weeks with no problem!
I have read about issues with relays and noticed that the starter relay was the same as one of the others on the board so swapped them over but it's still the same so guess that relay is fine. I have also read horror stories about main dealers just guessing and changing parts at will until they solve the problem and didn't want to go down that route yet as I have had a new clutch and flywheel (£1500) and the exhaust stolen (£2200) so far this year!!
I have 2 spare keys and have tried them but get the same problem. One thing to note is that along with this issue I have been getting strange warning lights and electrical issues as well. Sometimes when I get the van eventually started the faulty bulb light will come on but with no bad bulbs anywhere. Then other times the ESP or abs light and no indicators or wipers. Then when you get the chance restart the van with no problem everything is fine with no warning lights? Does anyone think it could be the wiring harness rubbing on the chassis somewhere? If so does anyone know the location this usually happens?
It's going in this week for oil, filters and brake pads so would love to be able to point the mechanics in the right direction if anyone can help, and I promise once I get this sorted I will re post on here to let others know what it was cos it is SO INFURIATING!!!

Caledonianewan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
311 cdi 2007
My van does this. It also is a 2007 311cdi, seems to always happen to this year and model :-(

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Hi all.
Im new to the site and have read on here and other forums peoples posts about the same issue I have with my 2007 311cdi sprinter. But nobody has ever posted a solution when they find out what the issue is. It seems a common fault so surely there is a common solution??? ( or am I being naive)?

Basically when I turn the key to start the van I get all the usual dash lights but no glowplug light and of course without this the engine is dead and won't crank. Sometimes it will take 4 or 5 attempts taking the key out and putting it back in again other times you can be sat there for 2 hours before it finally decides to come on and then other times it will start first time for a couple of weeks with no problem!
I have read about issues with relays and noticed that the starter relay was the same as one of the others on the board so swapped them over but it's still the same so guess that relay is fine. I have also read horror stories about main dealers just guessing and changing parts at will until they solve the problem and didn't want to go down that route yet as I have had a new clutch and flywheel (£1500) and the exhaust stolen (£2200) so far this year!!
I have 2 spare keys and have tried them but get the same problem. One thing to note is that along with this issue I have been getting strange warning lights and electrical issues as well. Sometimes when I get the van eventually started the faulty bulb light will come on but with no bad bulbs anywhere. Then other times the ESP or abs light and no indicators or wipers. Then when you get the chance restart the van with no problem everything is fine with no warning lights? Does anyone think it could be the wiring harness rubbing on the chassis somewhere? If so does anyone know the location this usually happens?
It's going in this week for oil, filters and brake pads so would love to be able to point the mechanics in the right direction if anyone can help, and I promise once I get this sorted I will re post on here to let others know what it was cos it is SO INFURIATING!!!
This sounds very like a broken or chaffed wire --usually along the front harness ? -but check all wiring around the engine bay .

Henn84

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter/ 2006/
Hi all.

I know this post is old, but did anyone find a solution to this problem.

Red dwarf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter xlwb 313cdi
Here we go! I have a 2007 Sprinter 313cdi with not a lot of miles on her back. It’s a panel van I converted to a camper some years back. Been a faultless van until one day I stuck the key in, the steering unlocked and all the dash lights were normal, wouldn’t start...... Went and had a cuppa, tried again, it fired up.
Anyway, over a few days the fault got worse until it just wouldn’t start. After a lot of searching the net and bending various mechanics ears, I achieved not very much, except a list of possibilities.
So, I thought I’d start with the cheapest solution first and work my way up cost wise.

1. Engine to frame earth strap.
2. Starter relay.
3. Starter solenoid.
4. Starter motor.
5. Infamous Y cable (battery/alternator/starter).
6. Ignition switch EIS module.

There’s more, though getting into silly money.

So, changed the earth strap, van starts! Yippee! Then didn’t start next time.
Swapped the similar relays around, nope.
Tried a new relay, all good!
It does seem there were intermittent faults with both the earth strap and the starter relay. I’m going to change the Y cable anyway as it’s now fifteen years old!

When fitting the new earth strap, make sure you give the mating surfaces on both the engine mount and the chassis rail a good wire brushing.
Also worth checking all the starter motor connections.

I was ready to get rid of the van as I was so peed off with the non starting, now I feel my confidence is restored in the old girl!

Last edited:

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
I have had two w124 e300d 1989 and 1990 models both would often exhibit no glow plug light and sometimes one of them had no abs light as well , the cause for this on both of them was the voltage regulator brushes in alternator worn out .. esp the one nearest the outside of the alternator. After much messing around removing ignition barrel on one car to check it only to find its built so solidly nothings going to ever go wrong with it I jogged the car over on the starter and all lights came back on . One brush just about made contact and the other was hardly making any at all . Flickering interior light at idle is the giveaway on at least the old school everything clockwork Mercedes . I do miss them.

Red dwarf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter xlwb 313cdi
I once owned a w124 e300d.... it came to me as a one owner car with 95k miles and full MB service history. It was without doubt the best car I ever owned. I sold it when a company car came my way and the e300 wasn’t getting used, I should have moth balled it.
The last time I saw the car it had in excess of 300k on the clock and was still going strong, doing regular runs across Europe.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Hi all.

Do you park car in a place where there likely to be rodent activity? I once spent a month getting to the bottom of such a matter little bs scoffed a can us wire or two.. Wife failed to cover dog biscuit bucket rodents moved in for winter.
Near a f divorce ....

Top Bottom