Kiwi (not lost) in France, for now with W163

Kiwi_Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003 Diesel
Hello all, I have been looking through the forum and thought I should join! I'm a Kiwi currently in France but I live in Indonesia, and while we are in France we need a vehicle to tow a horse float. So, ML270 seemed a good idea! It has a strange fault we just noticed on our first long trip - engine surges (by about 200rpm) at around 2500prm and 120kmh (70mph?). Very annoying... some posts i found on here suggest Transmission flush. Will give it back to the dealer and suggest that!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Wouldn't have expected transmission to get the engine to surge as you described.
How many miles has the car done? Do you have a service record?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
At a guess TC lock up clutch slipping, not a well known fault but not unknown. That said a gearbox fluid change is certainly a good start also have them do the transfer box at the same time as it often gets overlooked

OP
Kiwi_Benz

Kiwi_Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003 Diesel

Attachments

• ML270 Trans fix.JPG
    ML270 Trans fix.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 5

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi and welcome. :)
Fluid change and filter is definitely a good idea but it could easily be TC lockup failing.
In Star you can disable the TC lockup for a single start for diagnosis but that's not going to help much if you don't have Star whilst this lockdown continues.

Where in France are you?

PS - I'm only lost because after 30 years living in the UK I've not figured out how to get home yet!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Kiwi_Benz and welcome to the forum :)

OP
Kiwi_Benz

Kiwi_Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003 Diesel
Hi and welcome. :)
Fluid change and filter is definitely a good idea but it could easily be TC lockup failing.
In Star you can disable the TC lockup for a single start for diagnosis but that's not going to help much if you don't have Star whilst this lockdown continues.

Where in France are you?

PS - I'm only lost because after 30 years living in the UK I've not figured out how to get home yet!

I may not be lost but I am confused! In the last 10 years I have lived in 6 different countries!

TC seems like a possibility for sure, I am in the south east near Narbonne but will back in Toulouse on Monday to see a mechanic so hopefully my wife can translate the problem to him and he will be ok taking advice!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Spent two weeks a couple of years back near Narbonne. Really enjoyed it. Narbonne is quite pretty - especially by the Cathedral and down by the river.
We got caught in a torrential storm while eating at a restaurant by the Cathedral. Wouldn't have been so bad if we hadn't been in the courtyard under sun umbrellas! The restaurant was called Ave Domitus from memory.
Managed to finish our meal but it was interesting!

OP
Kiwi_Benz

Kiwi_Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003 Diesel
Spent two weeks a couple of years back near Narbonne. Really enjoyed it. Narbonne is quite pretty - especially by the Cathedral and down by the river.
We got caught in a torrential storm while eating at a restaurant by the Cathedral. Wouldn't have been so bad if we hadn't been in the courtyard under sun umbrellas! The restaurant was called Ave Domitus from memory.
Managed to finish our meal but it was interesting!

Yes it is pretty, especially at Christmas.

Well, we went to the mechanic and he is very French. As I have very limited French I was ignored whenntryinh to explain the problem. He connected his diagnostic system to the OBD and promptly cleared all the codes, by accident. I will be back in Toulouse in 2 weeks so he will have a look at it then. I miss having my own garage and my tools - all left behind in NZ a few years ago!

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Hello, and Welcome Kiwi_Benz !!! :):):)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom