grahamperrin

Reaction score
Website
perrin.redirectme.net
Your Mercedes
W211 (E 320 CDI)
300TE automatic, petrol, 1988.

Purchase

May 2008. I can't recall the exact cost, but it was well below £1,000. Let's say: £750.

Fuel and road tax

I never properly tracked the cost of fuel because at the time of purchase, I simply wanted something similar to my previous Merc (a 230TE). I knew from the outset that the 300TE would be a bit of a guzzler. For a long time I couldn't easily find a scientific explanation of why driving at 70 MPH is more costly than at (say) 55. Eventually I found an explanation, began keeping the speed down and sure enough, the difference was remarkable.

Today I made some rough calculations, it's likely that I never got much more than 20 MPG. The furthest I ever got on one tank was something like 320 miles, but I can't recall how much of that was fast driving. As far as I can tell, the tank capacity is 72 litres, 15.8 UK gallons.

I typically fill up not long after the warning light appears (the figure 60 comes to mind – I don't ever recall putting anything close to 72 in the tank) then get maybe 275 miles from those 60 litres.

Tax: £225 annually.

MOT tests, routine maintenance and repairs

At a glance: around £1,900 over the six years.

That includes £644 for an exhaust system (£318 parts, £230 labour, plus VAT), a new battery and one or two inexpensive secondhand alternators.

Exceptional costs

Attention to the rear axle, and custom replacement of the fluid pipe for the self-levelling suspension. Without having paperwork handy, I vaguely recall it being around £2,200 for parts and labour.

Issues that have not received enough attention

Air conditioning – not working when I purchased the car. I would have liked to get it working, but it's an old system that can not be simply recharged.

Electric sun roof – marginally leaky. After around five years' frequent use by me, the mechanism ceased to work.

Electric window, nearside front – not working when I purchased the car. This bothers me only when I wish for better ventilation, or when I pull to the kerb to ask someone for directions. It's more of a bother to passengers.

Electric window, driver's – just occasionally it will not go down. I'm familiar with a workaround: whilst pressing the switch with the left hand, thump the inside of the door with the right. Just once, for a while (a few days?) it would not go up. I didn't rush to pay for replacement of the motor, luckily it began working again – probably thanks to speciality thumping. More recently, during colder weather the motor sounded like it was struggling, so I have a hunch that it'll fail significantly within a year.

Central locking – key-based (not remote), didn't work well when I purchased the car. I could see that the pump, beneath the rear seat, had already received attention. I got a ballpark quote for cost of possible repairs, decided to not worry about it. I'm happy to lock each door manually, the only bother is that nowadays I usually have to lift the tailgate to manually unlock the petrol cap cover. It's bearable.

Parking brake – becomes slack far too soon after being made supposedly good. This has received special attention maybe three times so I'm not inclined to take it further. As long as it's safe, I'm happy.

Bodywork – not unusually rusty, but it's far from beautiful.

Summary

Without ever doing sums, I imagined that I had spent much more. Doing the sums today, I'm pleasantly surprised.

More than happy with less than £2,000 for routine maintenance and repairs over the six years.

The exceptional £2,200 (if that's what it was) for custom fluid pipe and axle work, not bad. I'd rather that, than rust trouble.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
£2200...just for the pipes...or was there a lot more to it?

nyx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 1998 e240 saloon
my s124 was 1000 in december plus ive spent another £400 getting it running perfectly.
passed mot last month with no advisories. had new tyres when i bought it and a full mb history.
no rust anywhere so no expenditure on that in the near future. im sure there will be some suspension parts over the next 12 months but will do all the work myself. insurance was £130 for the year. cheap motoring except she likes her fuel at 20mpg around town and 28 on a good run.

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
I just like the idea of speciality thumping!

OP
grahamperrin

grahamperrin

Reaction score
Website
perrin.redirectme.net
Your Mercedes
W211 (E 320 CDI)
Other issues that have not received enough attention

… passed mot last month …

My last MOT, November 2013, I needed just one new tyre (I purchased two) and a bulb for an indicator side repeater.

no advisories. …im sure there will be some suspension parts over the next 12 months …

That reminds me, I forgot some significant things in the opening post …

Other issues that have not received enough attention

Rear suspension – advisory on the last two MOTs for corroded coil springs.

Suspension – very bouncy in the driving seat, for a few weeks. Around three weeks ago the excessive bouncing ceased, now it feels pretty much like the older 230TE … just a little rough. At one time I saw drips from the pipe that feeds the self-levelling suspension. I guess that the leak is from the pipe itself, which was a custom replacement two or three years ago – MB could not supply the part. (I can't believe that I forgot to mention this recent episode, it's what spurred me to think about replacing the car!)

Heater motor control – long ago it became unpredictable at the two lower speeds. A year or so so, it became unpredictable at all four speeds. Recently I found that it would work if I started the car twice. Most recently it almost never works. Parking on a slope, front down, seems to increase the likelihood of it working when the car first starts.

Rear wiper – struggles.

Possible water leak – I top up occasionally but never see the temperature gauge go truly near the red. From past experience with a 230TE I suspect that (with my driving habits) even if there's a terrible lack of water, it'll sail along with very little risk of overheating. Shame on me!

Temperature gauge – likes to leap into the red, and stay there. A speciality thump puts it right, long enough for me to get an idea of the true temperature. If the speed is kept steady below 30 MPH, and if the ride is smooth, those things seem to reduce the likelihood of it leaping unrealistically into the red.

Warning light for the lighting – the warning appears whenever I go to full beam, but I can't find any lighting not working.

Supplementary cooling fan, or whatever it's called, at the very front – long ago it stayed on for far longer than it should have, whatever was wrong seemed to rectify itself. A few months ago the fan stayed on endlessly, so I removed its fuse.

Hmm!

nyx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 1998 e240 saloon
Briefly (I'll revisit insurance costs around a year from now): was that classic car insurance?

yes, its on classic insurane with 6000 mile allowance and an agreed value of £3000

OP
grahamperrin

grahamperrin

Reaction score
Website
perrin.redirectme.net
Your Mercedes
W211 (E 320 CDI)
300TE sold

I sold the 300TE two days ago, Sunday, after featuring the advertisement on Gumtree.

A few points that may be worth noting, for anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation:
  • one person seemed to be interested only if it had a tow bar
  • for a few hours, someone from out of town was chomping at the bit to buy it for export, pleading to not let it go to anyone else
  • that person put things off from Saturday to Sunday, but ultimately he didn't reply to texts or calls, so I re-contacted other people who had shown an interest
  • from that second contact, I sold it to a local self-employed dealer who hopes to do something with it other than scrap (I was less interested in the money, more keen for someone to get enjoyment out of driving it).

Whilst I was waiting for the buyer, another dealer (someone who lives where the car was parked) asked about it. He's a regular exporter. For him the defining thing was petrol; its price has risen (e.g. in the Gambia) so he was focused on diesel alone.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom