MOT, I'm gutted

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
You mean I might only have a 639/ ?
Or even headlights with 0.1% tolerance?
Or paint code 974?

Then there is the other black sticky on plate on't other B pillar with oodles of phone numbers.

I hadn't thought of that, as it would be naughty.
As if I give a frig any more.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
What I meant was in
rerereference
to
the 2T oil .you have been using it since you got the car? Changing the thermostat woul make good sense during the other work.

Since I got it , then at some point I was given 5L of 2-EHN so I then added premade up 40ml 2-EHN with 200ml 2T in empty 250ml Redex bottles
20201102_160133.jpg

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Didnt used to be M80 as a English mainland MOT was always valid here. Test centres here are Government run so I cant see an issue testing a vehicle here and running it across the water unless it would come into conflict with the fact you dont live in NI or maybe london emmissions? I think the only issue unless its been resolved is the NI database didnt use to extend to the English police forces database, Hence ANPR would flag the vehicle as having no MOT. Maybe this is resolved now that Wales holds the Database for all NI vehicles
But if that was true I'd be flagged each time I drove in GB.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep...they are valid and vice versa

I suppose the N.I. is a redundant question as the Viano would need a negative covid test and then stay there for 10 days.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
But if that was true I'd be flagged each time I drove in GB.
Must be sorted as I used to see this problem on other forums with people that either moved there with their cars or bought vehicles from NI Nairac. This could have been up to 10 years ago this issue was more common. As I said its maybe been sorted since.
Apologies Nairac as well, I might have worded my last post incorrectly at the start. I meant NI should be valid in England Scotland and Wales as they are all valid here unless something has changed recently. There was never a question about the legality of a NI MOT, it was just the police force database in England apparently hadn't access to NI MOT,s which left you could be pulled over to be checked.

Last edited:

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
my daughters 2014 fiesta 1.5 diesel failed last august on emmissions, there wasnt any smoke and after having injectors tested and running numerous regens it still wouldnt go through at the plate value. in the end i took it to we buy any car with 3 weeks mot left on it, big surprise was seeing back on the road 1 week later with a full mot. the car had 45k on the clock, i presume we buy any car got the car mot,d with a golden handshake. gaz

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The 1.0% for headlights is aiming information. The low beam is set 1% below horizontal.

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano - 2012 - OM651 Engine - 2.2
I have just been reading about shell v-power and one of its claims is the following...

"Shell GTL Fuel did however give significantly lower engine-out emissions in THC, CO, NOx and soot, compared to EN 590 diesel"

page 31 of THIS which is worth a read.

My Viano went from 0.21 with... 1. A good thrash. 2. Getting fully up to temperature 3.Some 'fuel injector cleaner' that I let the tester bung in, just to keep them happy, to 0.1 exactly.

At approx 130k I think I would be removing the injectors, sending them for a clean, then retesting with v-power and a good run & warm up beforehand.

Reactions: M80

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Since I got it , then at some point I was given 5L of 2-EHN so I then added premade up 40ml 2-EHN with 200ml 2T in empty 250ml Redex bottles
View attachment 64348

And 250ml added to full tank? In MB Eclass w212 its 60 ltrs approx. ASFAIK

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The current MOT remains valid until expiry. However the vehicle may be considered unroadworthy but highly unlikely to be an issue that would be acted on by plod.

My apologies for doubting that.
I've just looked online and it shows as MoT'd till 21st Jan.

So assuming APNR and Plod (and insurance in the event)use the same route to check it won't flag up that it has been failed. I did believe that a 'major' fail meant the vehicle shouldn't be used on the highway.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
my daughters 2014 fiesta 1.5 diesel failed last august on emmissions, there wasnt any smoke and after having injectors tested and running numerous regens it still wouldnt go through at the plate value. in the end i took it to we buy any car with 3 weeks mot left on it, big surprise was seeing back on the road 1 week later with a full mot. the car had 45k on the clock, i presume we buy any car got the car mot,d with a golden handshake. gaz

WebuyanyCar will have put it in BCA as is I cannot imagine them getting involved with back handers.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
I mentioned this situation to a friend with a W203 (not on the forum) who whilst on the phone call to me went and had a look at his VIN plate. The contents of his double box had been scratched/cut out (and not by him)! He's the 2nd owner of this car and has had it over 8 years.
There are really only 2 people who would have done this, the previous owner (did they use the box value as a limit 8+ years ago?) or, his friendly MOT guy who's possibly done it recently (if I understand correctly using the box value is a recent MOT change?).

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
Hi M80 long time since I've followed your posts , Sorry to hear your woes after upgrading. I'm still with my 120CDI Vito but have a inlet runner / swirlflap rod issue at mo (and i thought that i had a nightmare on my hands ) Also my 235K W124 failed its emissions so trying to sort that as well) good job I've got 2 other cars a faultless 2007 Petrol X-type ( it does drink the juice ) and a 99 CLK 430 which does about the same MPG despite being a 4.3 I was looking at upgrading the Vito but have my doubts now . I Hope you get it sorted . So which is the last year that i can get a good 2.2 Viano if i want to avoid £500 tax ? and tight emissions ? I know the 651 engine came with the 2010 facelift
I dismissed the 350 petrols ( but cant remember if they were M112 :)or M271:( but they dont sound bad against the backdrop of emissions swirlflaps, shut off motors, egr's ,turbos, DPF's and inlet manifolds etc even the Elgrand Nismo was looking reliable
Boyd

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The subject can get a little complicated.

N category Vito's enjoy light goods tax, they are then charged at the T39 rate (£250 last I looked.)
Better than that is if Euro 4 and registered Mar 03 - Dec 06 the rate is T36 (£145).
Or if Euro 5 and registered Jan 09 - Dec 10 it's T36 (so £145), but will have the DPF.

If non of that and registered as M category then check the co2 and that varies quite a lot, so between £330 - £555.

All the petrol's are high co2, they being cat N I couldn't comment. But my research has shown them to be no advantage torque wise and use mega amounts of fuel. The simplicity of the engine is attractive, but more knowledge required to understand if timing chain and balance shaft issues are likely.

2010 sees the 651 arrive. Mines a 2014 and the VIN plate issue is there, I don't know about other Viano's or Vito's. But the co2 is lower and for me tax at £330.

But if it were a Vito then I guess N cat would still see a tax advantage.

A 651 has additional emission gumf, although I don't have Add Blue. Added to that is the timing chain issue that's well documented here.
Also is the plastic inlet manifold, known to crack. I now have a fuel filter cooler and that's plastic. I still have a 9 litre engine oil sump, so at least that isn't plastic.

It is plentiful in torque, consumption is improved, smoother and quieter. I enjoy the drive, and look forward to that again.

Oh, I'm sure you're aware of rust on the 639, that didn't go away due to galvanising and nano paint.
I've been under mine treating with Dinitrol products. Sprayed wax into the cavities and paint on RC800 otherwise, especially the rear chassis.

Tbh, these things feel like an ongoing labour of love, until the hatred develops.

Last edited:

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Oh, I'm sure you're aware of rust on the 639, that didn't go away due to galvanising and nano paint.
I've been under mine treating with Dinitrol products. Sprayed wax into the cavities and paint on RC800 otherwise, especially the rear chassis.

Tbh, these things feel like an ongoing labour of love, until the hatred develops.
Have to fully agree with you there M80

Reactions: M80

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
Thanks for that its a difficult one 651 timing chain I believe can be done quite cheaply ( but by an independant ) and is more likely on vehicles that do a lot of stop start ie old and low mileage oil change regularity also influences I did fancy the Viano or a Vito crewbus or tourer as the ride is a lot better than the 639 pre 2010 vito mine still knocks abit over joggly roads / bumps despite New droplinks ARB bushes and shocks I've got over the enjoyment of the 120 being a bit of a rocket ship and 98% of the time Im going along with the traffic flow so I think I could live with a smaller engine Driving my change were
Ride Improvement
Fuel Economy
Reliability / cost of repairs
also want to make sure I havent got a 10mph slower classification on the Registration document I'm N1 so looking for an M classification
After Reading your posts I am rethinking my options
Maybe I should stick with it but a nice clean & Tidy pre 2010 OM 646 would get me interested

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe I should stick with it but a nice clean & Tidy pre 2010 OM 646 would get me interested
Still high tax and consumption are 2 downsides.
The reliability is superior to my mind, and working on the engine in the event is definitely easier.

If you catch the rattle early it sounds like replacing the adjuster can solve it.
If not then I'm not sure changing chain and top sprocket in situ is any more than a half baked resolution. The lower sprockets not being assessed might mean the chain wear will soon reoccur. Of course it's engine out for those.
Tbh as I get deeper into this job I might regret not biting the bullet and just getting the engine out to do a comprehensive overhaul. That done and with considerate maintenance and another 160k + miles should be more than a reasonable expectation.

The additional torque over the 646 means I don't miss the umph I had in the 642.
Since I'm happy to plod at 58mph if it were only permitted to do 60 on A roads I wouldn't be fussed. Using 70mph increases consumption a fair bit anyway.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Back to the problem.
I used the mo mo till late December. Then it was illegal. Poor weather has stopped me being encouraged to tackle this, now things are looking up for a while.

The 039 on the gas test isn't bad, but it puffs a little smoke if the peddle is pressed when stationary, so some unburnt fuel there.

Please comment on my diagnosis of possibles.

Injectors requiring attention.
Inlet manifold with a crack, so taking a little air.
EGR route restricted.
Valve seals (my favoured most likely).
These have a design for low temperature by ECU control of the cooling.
MAF, (unlikely to my mind).

To add to my pain since MOT it has developed a white smoke emission when cold, disappearing fast enough as it warms to perhaps 30 degrees.
This has the coolant sweet smell.
possibles.

Head gasket.
EGR cooler internal leak (some coolant into recirculation route)??

I've attempted to strip away to get to the n/s manifolds. Maybe those with better experience know how but I've concluded that it's more realistic to remove the engine for that.
It looks very possible that this is a head off if the issue can't be ascertained from stripping out manifold type components.

With engine out it makes sense to overhaul a fair amount of kit, but I'll return to that at a later date.
Approaching 170k miles (believed genuine) do this right and it should be one of the later ice mo mo in use.

I've no engine hoist so would need to hire, that'll add a good few quids to the cost.

As I see it, drain all fluids (ATF service only 3,600 miles ago, bugger).
All rads removed (AC is mt anyway), and engine out through the front.
I'm not confident of raising above them even with a hoist.
Comments welcomed.

If there is a more simple way I would be happier as I'm not looking forward to this, and would be far better using the van for work anyway.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom