New car. Old problems

Daz87UK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK320 R170 2001
Hi guys. First post here. First Mercedes too...

So today I bought a little R170 320 for my little weekend toy. I bought the cheapest one I could find within 100 miles of my house for the following reasons;
1. It's a second car to avoid putting shopping dents in my M2 (and to keep the mileage down)
2. I miss having a convertible, but didn't want my main car to be a convertible...
3. I'm not scared of getting my hands dirty with some manual repairs and fault finding.

So that said, I have this car and am told "the remote locking sometimes doesn't work, so will need a new battery in the key" - BULL**** mate... The PSE has been unplugged and all the connections are green and corroded, so that's a lie. There's also a few other bits that don't work, namely the interior light and the boot light.but from what I've read so far on here, they all tie in together anyway. Anyway... My question is:

(TLDR version)
Bought new car, PSE already unplugged... How do I know replacing it will fix the central locking? Is it just a trial and error process?
Tia

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Welcome. From what I have read, yes the other issues are interconnected with the PSE being unplugged. The advice when fitting a working unit is to wrap it in plastic and turn it upside down. You may find that there is no lamp in the interior light or boot lid as they may stay on when the PSE is unplugged.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Welcome, Daz. :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Stay with us and keep posting your queries, someone will help sort you out.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Seeing as you are hands on and like the DIY aspect,
Get the wires cleaned up and connected back to where they go and take it from there.
For all you know it could have been a fuse and the last owner just unpligged it as he was cluless.

have fun and keep us updated!

OP
D

Daz87UK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK320 R170 2001
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Yes the previous owner was a f**wit to put it nicely. He has superglued parts of the dash together where he had lost screws. Took me ages to prize them apart to fix the lighter socket and roof button plate thingy today. But all fixed now and screws replaced.

Regarding the PSE, I will unplug the siren as my snobby neighbours already hate the sound of my ticky v6 engine, so they really won't like the alarm going off when I reconnect the PSE first problem there is - the wiper arms are very siezed on... I am soaking them both in WD40 until the weekend to assist in the removal, however both nuts were missing (I assume they are 13mm nuts I need to put there?)

I will do as advised after that and clean the connections up and try that one before forking out £250 on another one. I will run through the fuse box and replace every fuse with a new correct one at the weekend.

Took it shopping today and tried a few more features. A/C doesn't just need a re-gas as advertised. The whole pump is knackard because there is no drop in revs or clicks when I turn it on. However the light on the button does light up so that's a start I suppose. Even on cold setting. It blows quite hot with engine up to temp. Is this normal? I know it is for some older sports cars, like MX5s and the like... So might be nothing to worry about.

Another problem, he has installed aftermarket HID Xenon kits (badly) and left off the plastic light covers ‍♂️ so water is free to enter wherever the hell it wants to go. Jeeeeez this guy would have to be 10 times smarter to even class as "thick"

I don't mind the fact I bought a lemon, I kinda do that on purpose because I like the challenge of fixing up a crapper, but it really bothers me that he's lied so much about the car... Whatever I guess.

Last thing. Can anyone tell me what battery is meant to go in the key? Probably need a new one anyway as both are green and corroded inside... But will try a clean up and a new batt in the better one first.

Cheers guys

OP
D

Daz87UK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK320 R170 2001
Oh. Just found a reversing camera... Aftermarket of course as it's below the rear bumper, but would be nice to find the wires and see if that still works. It has the standard stereo in place currently. All works fine but is basic and old so will be updating that with something that has bluetooth and potentially a screen for the reversing cam. Shame to not use something that's already been installed

OP
D

Daz87UK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK320 R170 2001
Welcome. From what I have read, yes the other issues are interconnected with the PSE being unplugged. The advice when fitting a working unit is to wrap it in plastic and turn it upside down. You may find that there is no lamp in the interior light or boot lid as they may stay on when the PSE is unplugged.

There is a working lamp in the interior with working bulbs, checked that with hardwires today

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom