New CLK55 AMG owner

emorgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK55AMG (W209)
Hi all, Just drove the 150 miles home in my new (to me) CLK55 AMG convertible W209. So happy with it. Decided to see what happens when the ESP is turned off, wont be doing that again in a hurry. Never had an auto/tip before, was like dropping the clutch !! So much car for the money. Couple of questions for anyone who has one. I was playing with the lumbar controls on the seat and they were all working fine, then I took the key out while I was driving (has keyless go). The lumbars dont seem to work now. Any ideas ?? Also is it possible to change the settings on the auto wipers ?? So glad I decided against the M3 :-D I'm actually glad someone else wrote my boxster off.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
What you have is nothing more than a weapon, forget a M3, you now own a proper car!!!

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I found it easier to either use Keyless Go exclusively or put the key in the ignition. Trying to change from one method to the other while the car is running doesn't seem to work very well!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi all, Just drove the 150 miles home in my new (to me) CLK55 AMG convertible W209. So happy with it. Decided to see what happens when the ESP is turned off, wont be doing that again in a hurry.

I had the privilege of being driven by a "professional driver" on the handling facility at Milbrook, who demonstrated the handling of a 270CLK automatic with ESP on and off.

When it was on, progress was fast but unspectacular. When it was off, progress was spectacular but not so fast. So the take home message is just as you have found, unless you want to waste tyres and add time to your journey in the process, "stick with ESP".

That demonstration, and others that day, made it clear to me that none of us, short of insanity will ever test our cars to their limits. It was delightful to see how much spare capacity the cars had in every dimension and gives you great confidence when using them normally.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Hi all, Just drove the 150 miles home in my new (to me) CLK55 AMG convertible W209. So happy with it. Decided to see what happens when the ESP is turned off, wont be doing that again in a hurry. Never had an auto/tip before, was like dropping the clutch !! So much car for the money. Couple of questions for anyone who has one. I was playing with the lumbar controls on the seat and they were all working fine, then I took the key out while I was driving (has keyless go). The lumbars dont seem to work now. Any ideas ?? Also is it possible to change the settings on the auto wipers ?? So glad I decided against the M3 :-D I'm actually glad someone else wrote my boxster off.

Welcome to the 55 club. It's a missile isn't it?

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Quick question for 55 owners, how do you find the fuel economy? and is it alot more on running costs

I am considering to buy one but not sure if it will worth while with daily costs (petrol, insurance, repairs etc)

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Quick question for 55 owners, how do you find the fuel economy? and is it alot more on running costs

I am considering to buy one but not sure if it will worth while with daily costs (petrol, insurance, repairs etc)

According to the trip computer, we have averaged nearly 24mpg over 4000 miles - but this is mostly longer journeys as the car doesn't usually do any commuting. Mr brother borrowed it for 5 days and only got 16-18mpg as he was sitting in traffic for an hour, twice a day. Obviously we are quite happy, but my brother couldn't wait to get his E320CDI back...
As for repairs, some things are more expensive than other models - brakes for example, and spark plug changes (16 of them, and they take a while to do). Insurance - we pay £400 as rather middle aged drivers ;)

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
According to the trip computer, we have averaged nearly 24mpg over 4000 miles - but this is mostly longer journeys as the car doesn't usually do any commuting. Mr brother borrowed it for 5 days and only got 16-18mpg as he was sitting in traffic for an hour, twice a day. Obviously we are quite happy, but my brother couldn't wait to get his E320CDI back...
As for repairs, some things are more expensive than other models - brakes for example, and spark plug changes (16 of them, and they take a while to do). Insurance - we pay £400 as rather middle aged drivers ;)

Sounds very tempting..... I get around 19 - 20 mpg in my 230 so its not that much more.

I am only 27 so the insurance will be a killer. but i will definately keep a look out for a tidy example, do you have 208 or 209?

Which ones you prefer

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.

I get about 8-9 :shock: in town and if I'm careful on a run I can get 22-23. It's normally around 19-20 on a run though :rolleyes: .

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I get about 8-9 :shock: in town and if I'm careful on a run I can get 22-23. It's normally around 19-20 on a run though :rolleyes: .

Do you have a fuel bowser following you then;)

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Sounds very tempting..... I get around 19 - 20 mpg in my 230 so its not that much more.

I am only 27 so the insurance will be a killer. but i will definately keep a look out for a tidy example, do you have 208 or 209?

Which ones you prefer

Ours is a W209. Better steering feel than a W208 thanks to rack and pinion steering, rather than the old steering box. More modern styling but possibly more flaky electronics.

If you only get 19mpg from a 230 then I would bet you'll get less than that in a 55AMG...

Could you be interested in ours? Low mileage, very well specced and well pampered!

Last edited:

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
What colour is it? you have any Pics?

and what you looking for it?

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Blue! See picture. Designo two tone Nappa leather, sun roof, Comand, Key-less Go, Parktronic, 18" wheels etc. etc. 33500 miles.

Recent front brakes, gearbox oil change, new spark plugs last year.

Haven't checked the market, so I don't know what these are selling for at the moment. We will have a think...

Attachments

• CLK front.jpg
    CLK front.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 58
  • CLK Back.jpg
    CLK Back.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 58

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Looks Nice...

Have a think about the price and let me know.. Its the same colour as mine. I would have prefered black but hey ho it standout more.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom