Newbie thinking about a W203...

saffa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi
So it is time to replace my current car. And after comparing A4, 3-series and W203 it seems the MB W203 is the best value for money.

There seems to be loads on Autotrader, and prefer a facelift model, although I can't argue with the prices of the pre-facelift models.

Here is my question, was the facelift largely cosmetic? Or was there other "under the skin" improvements as well?

My current feeling is either a C200K Auto or a C220 CDI Auto with circa 50,000 miles on. What are the reliability of these?

Looking around the forums it doesn't seem there is much that goes wrong on these.

Anything to look out for?

One more thing, can't seem to understand what the spec difference between Elegance and Avantgarde is... :Oops: :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
First thing to note here is mileage is irrelevant to a degree. You want to get as late a car as you can and buy it on condition and spec rather than mileage. More often than not the low milers are more problematic than the ones with a few more miles under their belt.

The early ones suffered rust so check around all arch's, door bottoms, wings, front of the bumper and tail gate on the estates. They were galvanised from some point in 2003 so try and get a 2004 car or later.....however that still doesn't mean you are safe from it so check.

Listen for any clunks from the front suspension when you drive it and also plant the throttle and ensure the kick down works as it should.

If a diesel check for any build up of black death round the injectors and also check the diesel pump on the front of the block is dry.

The Elegance is a softer ride where as Avantgarde is a firmer sportier ride. They both can have all the toys....the Classic is the one to avoid if you can.

They are good cars. If you do a search on here the 203 has been covered a few times.

OP
S

saffa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi
Thanks for the responses so far.

My spec requirement is heated leather seats and parkin sensors, was this standard on Elegance? or was it an optional extras?

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Optional, so you will just have to check each model.

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
This is just my personal opinion here....

Have you had a car with leather seats before? My car has cloth and I retro fitted a leather interior to my ex's car....I much prefer the cloth. The leather tends to be sticky in the summer and cold in the winter (I know you want heated seats).

Granted it does look nicer :D

OP
S

saffa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi
Usually I prefer cloth too, but my current car has heated leather seats which I have become addicted to... And it looks like the W203 has perforated leather which means it will breathe a little in summer (although I guess not by much).

yeah leather, especially beige or grey does look and feel much nicer...

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
IIRC perforated leather was on the Sports seats? Be careful with leather in the 203 as some came with Leather/Twin which is part synthetic, part real. Also the 203 standard leather is PU coated and in my experience doesn't feel or age as nicely as the uncoated leathers such as Nappa.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
C220cdi and C270cdi are what you want, forget the petrol. The diesels are reliable, frugal and grunty witht he 270cdi being the one to have.

Post facelift is worth getting, better paint, better electrics etc, better car

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i have a pre facelift 203 C220CDi with a manual gearbox which has been in the family from 23 months/7k miles old. it is a 2001 model and has had over its entire lifetime has had the following replacements

1 injector (warranty)
heated rear screen (warranty)
2 rear and 1 front suspension springs
1 front ball joint
EGR mod carried out.
thermostat replaced

service items (brake pads/discs, tyres, filters, oil etc) and has recently been MOT'd and needs a slight adjustment to a wheel bearing and the exhaust is beginning to blow so needs welded or replaced.

the car is now 11 years old and, admittedly has rust in the usual places, but currently has 112k miles on the clock and returns, on average, 46+mpg, with almost no dual carriageway/motorway running and not really a great deal of 'good' a road running either. also it has always been serviced by myself as and when the car asks to be serviced
as far as cars go, reliability wise, i really cant complain about mine.

Last edited:

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I have a 2005 (facelift) C270 Cdi which I have owned for 18months.. In that time I have done over 30,000 miles and the car hasnt missed a beat.
The only none service items I have replaced are a thermostat and the MAF sensor..
General work and back rush hour sees typically 38 - 40 mpg and on a decent run @ 75mph I generally see 53mpg.
I have had 65mpg but to achieve that you have to drive VERY carefully and its as boring as hell !

I have also owned a pre face lift 203 which was a great car and that also never gave any problems.. That one had the optional 80 litre fuel tank which gave it an unbelievable range from full (950 + miles).

The beauty of the facelifted version is that you can have a late version of the COMAND satnav retro fitted.
This was never originally offered as an option on the 203 but it fits perfectly..
See photo of mine that I had retro fitted..

Attachments

• C270 Dash.jpg
    C270 Dash.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 88

tsp73

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class (S212) Avantgarde Estate / 2011 / 250CDI
I've a 2007 220CDI which is approaching 140K miles and it is as solid as a rock

Martin Jennings

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C204 250 CDi AMG Prem Plus, W168 A160 Elegance LWB
I have the 02 Elegance and have heated and Perforated leather seats! Usual rust spots but 46+ mpg and all round good car!:)

DY2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2003 E320 Cdi Automatic
Had a preface lift w203 (2003) 220 cdi also.

Like others there was the small rust areas at the door corners. but she was a great little car.

I clocked up about 32k in just over 1 year with no problems in that time, driving London - Dorset regularly over a month period. and London - Cumbria also. I took her up to 185,000 miles.

The only main thing i done during those miles was replace the thermostat (and the fuel line next to it, but that was my fault!)

I done the servicing in that time also... filters, oil, coolant, poly belt...
There is a Haynes manual for the model 2000-2007

I would recommend them, shop around. you can find a good one for a good price.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom