Not changing up the gears.

Adge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2010
Hi guys.

Been having quite a few problems with my car recently. (2010 Mercedes C200)

A couple of weeks ago I was slowing down near a single lane bridge when the car on the other side flashed. I accelerated to go over and just as I went into the bride the car revved and all of my lights came on (abs, traction, ect).
The car drove fine but I wanted to fix it. I don't have an expensive obd reader so it doesn't read brake codes.
I replaced the front two abs sensors just to see and did the front brakes while I was there (I had a day off work for once).

I also had a leak coming from the rocker cover, a thread had been stripped, I'm guessing from last time I had it in a garage where they only half fixed a problem I was having.

I went to test drive it to see if maybe the lights would clear after a short drive, but now it doesn't seem to change gear. It's revving and going higher than it should but just not changing.

This is the first time working on this car as all the sensors scare me. I'm used to working on classic cars when life was simple.

I hope something that I have said makes one of you gurus know the problem. And I hope that problem is a nice cheap fix (gulp).

Thank you
Adam

OP
A

Adge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2010
Also, any more info you need, just ask.

OP
A

Adge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2010
I'd like to add also that is it sluggish to start up. Definitely taking a few more cranks than it used to.
Really worried about this as I don't have a lot of money for a big repair or to get a new car.

Hope somebody knows!

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
A couple of things that may help you get an answer.

where are you located - others can recommend a good indie nearby.
what mileage.
which gearbox- 5 or 7 speed automatic
has the ATF and filter been changed recently??

OP
A

Adge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2010
I'm in East Lothian not far from Edinburgh.
It's a high milage 170,000
T5 speed box
I'm not sure when it was last changed but not in the last year.

I've read that some abs sensors can read different and so do not work. I might try and put the old ones back on (still have the lights but maybe the gears could work?)

OP
A

Adge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2010
Swapped the sensors back and it's now changing gears. I didn't think abs sensors would have that effect.

Still have a Christmas tree for a dash board but it's changing gear.

I will have to get it into a garage to see what sensor has gone rather than playing lucky dip.

If anyone knows a good garage for MBs up this way, I'd appreciate it.

Adam

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom