OM656 Failed Vacuum/Oil Pump and loss of braking.

MercM2Mb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 e220cdi 2008 w213 e220d 2019
Hedge fund managers stuff this is. Would love to here why not short MB big time. How deep are Geelys pockets?

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
No - i just lived with it. I suspect the car had some software changed and this reduced power output.
Hmm. Would have thought that the 400d was post-Dieselgate, so no reason to remap... Shame. We tested an E400d AllTerrain last year and liked the sound and urge of the engine. But we decided it wasn't £38K more car than our old (remapped) E350cdi.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
The MB warranty excludes, which i would have expected/liked:

All 'trim' - including interior. So if the glovebox falls off i'm stuffed.
Lamp Units inc. any/all LEDs - so that's the multibeam LED headlights not covered. Not good enough.
Release cables - i'd expect them to be covered at lower vehicle ages.
Brake pipes and hoses, same as above,
Failure caused by a failed seal/gasket/or sealant. Also not good enough. They could attribute that to many things.
Plus the price has jumped from £490 when i looked last year to £774.... clearly they know how unreliable their vehicles have become!!!

Not filling me with much confidence!! ...what to do....
Consider a less complex vehicle. They are now designed to cost you plenty during declared car life 8.1 Yr (Craig) . Most subcontractor stuff seems designed to statistically just get out of warranty
A old classic was designed to last end of... you won't see many 2001 onwards benz making it to 60 Yr old. Or worth more than one paid for it. 1,you won't find the parts 2, near all capable of repair, work around will be underground.
The youth, under 35, s have been brainwashed into throwing everything away every 2, 4 yrs.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Consider a less complex vehicle. They are now designed to cost you plenty during declared car life 8.1 Yr (Craig) . Most subcontractor stuff seems designed to statistically just get out of warranty
A old classic was designed to last end of... you won't see many 2001 onwards benz making it to 60 Yr old. Or worth more than one paid for it. 1,you won't find the parts 2, near all capable of repair, work around will be underground.
The youth, under 35, s have been brainwashed into throwing everything away every 2, 4 yrs.
Unfortunately the vehicle industry has always been wasteful and continues to be so, vehicles could quite easily be designed to last 30 years, the same with white goods, but who cares about future generations lol. Mass production is a great concept which we’ve all benefited from immensely but I find the waste we’re witnessing now totally unacceptable. I’m currently having the OM642 oil cooler seals replaced, gearbox flush, engine oil and filter and rear airbags replaced so not much change from £2k which 5 years ago would have seemed like a big bill but not when you consider trading in and buying a decent secondhand 5 year old E43 (with 30-40k miles on it) will cost circa £35k - and would it be any better (or reliable) than the E350cdi I’ve got now - I doubt it

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Unfortunately the vehicle industry has always been wasteful and continues to be so, vehicles could quite easily be designed to last 30 years, the same with white goods, but who cares about future generations lol. Mass production is a great concept which we’ve all benefited from immensely but I find the waste we’re witnessing now totally unacceptable. I’m currently having the OM642 oil cooler seals replaced, gearbox flush, engine oil and filter and rear airbags replaced so not much change from £2k which 5 years ago would have seemed like a big bill but not when you consider trading in and buying a decent secondhand 5 year old E43 (with 30-40k miles on it) will cost circa £35k - and would it be any better (or reliable) than the E350cdi I’ve got now - I doubt it
Anything euro 4 onwards seems designed specifically to empty ur pockets. So see how car behaves after ur 2k injection
Thinkin on 2009 smart4 two as local runabout. But not if I have to break my arms to get at anything as I hear to do near anything its eng out. 20 quid tax n 68 to gall is quite attractive.

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Anything euro 4 onwards seems designed specifically to empty ur pockets. So how car behaves after ur 2k imjection
Thinkin on 2009 smart4 two as local runabout. But not if I have to break my arms to get at anything as I hear to do near anything its eng out. 20 quid tax n 68 to gall is quite attractive.
Quite happy to spend money on the car as it doubles up as a workhorse to me. As regards current secondhand car prices they are off the scale way too high but the industry seems to get away with it due to Hire Purchase and PCP offerings @ 10-11% interest rates.

manxkeith

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220-D-AMG LINE A Estate 2019
Just to give you guys an update on my Mercedes E220, it took long time but they finally fixed the car and I got it back Friday. They have replaced about 11 parts including the vacuum pump, the oil pump and several hoses and o-rings. They even replaced the main diesel pump (unrelated to the leak I guess). I have to say that the car feels smoother when driving, may be I am just too happy to drive it again after long time. The total cost of repair is ca. €12k but I only paid €4k and rest is paid by Mercedes as Good Will plus €500 discount by the garage. Apparently the €4,5k is for the vacuum and diesel pumps which Mercedes's Good Will did not include.

Thanks DSK for the good wishes, it saved me €8k :). Good luck for everybody else with similar issue. Btw, my insurance guys were unwilling to pay the remaining €4k, I guess 'cos they recently paid €1.5k for windshield replacement. I may replace them with another insurer but I haven't decided yet, I don't want to be too greedy.
I've had the same problem in January - just out of warranty and only 16,000 miles. No other issues post repair?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My 2018 E200d is with the dealer waiting on the tandem pump replacement. Luckily Mercedes are covering 100% of the cost as goodwill. We have full Mercedes service history, 140,000km.
Its a great car but this has shook my confidence in car so will most likely move it along later this year.
Has the replacement pump been redesigned so we won't face this failure again?
It will have been redesigned to be only ur prob next time I think with hindsight that a full on body eng trans on my w208 would have been a better choice investment
Modern benz out of warranty are just like a day at ladbrooks!!!

drpau

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 CLS 350 cdi
I'm looking at changing my CLS 350cdi (a 2012 w218) and remembered reading this story. On my list was another CLS the latest shape with the new 350d/400d engine. Was there an actual recall for this in the UK or did MB just sit back and see which broke within warranty and fix them and sod the rest? Does seem a risky proposition if this is the case so I'm a bit put off considering another.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom