Possible EV.

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
I wanted a mercedes 107 350sl but to get anything decent now you are looking at £25000 and that
won't be that good they rotted like mad if you know where to look all the ones I went to see were not
cheap I was looking at about £12000 every one of them looked great but were rotten why are people
paying top money for low end cars
Rose tinted glasses. We have a car in at the moment for a bit of restoration, I found a few shots of it in a YouTube video about the vehicle type and history, this car looked fantastic, right up there with the best of them. Rotten body full of filler, self tapping screws, pop rivets and best of all aluminium mesh smeared with Sikaflex. Credit to the bodger though, not much welding or Mig whiskers showing.

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
lots of tarted up cars on ebay, my w123 had lots of hidden surprises and i have to say not very nice surprises at that!! wondering were the water leak was coming from only to find the sunroof drain tubes completley rotted out!! but dug deep and fixed it properly with new pipe fittings . rose tints again i think.

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
And….it doesn’t sound to me like you would invest your hard earned cash in one
It depends.... and I was trying to share my (relatively short) experience of driving one to help others weigh up the pros and cons. I have said elsewhere on the forum that I have decided to sell my 2014 W212 and have ordered a brand new Audi Q5 diesel. Our other family car is a four year old Honda with less than 12k on the clock so we are not currently considering any further purchases.

But to partly answer your question, I can see the attraction of a well equipped EV which is arguably £20k less than the equivalent Mercedes EV and in our case it would currently be seen as a car to use on short journeys, keeping the Q5 or W212 for longer trips. The MG is not cheap at c.£35k for a second car and there are other factors to be considered like range, cost of charging and availability of chargers.

You pay your money and take your choice...!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
It depends.... and I was trying to share my (relatively short) experience of driving one to help others weigh up the pros and cons. I have said elsewhere on the forum that I have decided to sell my 2014 W212 and have ordered a brand new Audi Q5 diesel. Our other family car is a four year old Honda with less than 12k on the clock so we are not currently considering any further purchases.

But to partly answer your question, I can see the attraction of a well equipped EV which is arguably £20k less than the equivalent Mercedes EV and in our case it would currently be seen as a car to use on short journeys, keeping the Q5 or W212 for longer trips. The MG is not cheap at c.£35k for a second car and there are other factors to be considered like range, cost of charging and availability of chargers.

Personally I think EVs have been produced and marketed in the wrong way there is a real need to reduce pollution hotspots therefore it would have been much better to have marketed a city EV at the right size and price and tied this in with ULEZ incentives, there are a lot of two car families this would have suited or single car city dwellers who do little miles. EU6 diesels and petrol cars are ’clean’ enough to do the rest.

Last edited:

spoonerh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
172 SLK

I am not as wealthy as a lot on here there's no way I could afford the £50000 for a Q5 I could afford to lease one but never lease as u have no asset and the MG is £31450 so I don't know where the £35000 comes from

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
I am not as wealthy as a lot on here there's no way I could afford the £50000 for a Q5 I could afford to lease one but never lease as u have no asset and the MG is £31450 so I don't know where the £35000 comes from
Apologies, I thought I had seen £35k quoted on the drivethedeal website but as I was not seriously considering buying one, I may have misremembered and might even have been looking at the long range model which I suspect is more expensive? I am happy to be corrected if I got that bit wrong, sorry, I was just trying to help the OP who appeared to be seriously considering buying one :)

spoonerh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
172 SLK
Apologies, I thought I had seen £35k quoted on the drivethedeal website but as I was not seriously considering buying one, I may have misremembered and might even have been looking at the long range model which I suspect is more expensive? I am happy to be corrected if I got that bit wrong, sorry, I was just trying to help the OP who appeared to be seriously considering buying one :)
it is the long range I have 280 miles the 210 mile one is £25500

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Well I took the plunge yesterday and bought a Kia EV6 electric SUV. AUS$80K. Bit of an ouch!! However, I am now 83 and figured one can't take it with you. Probably be my last car I imagine. 7 years wty so that makes me 90 :( when wty expires.
Over 500km range. Bought RWD single motor. BL00dy hell, it goes like the clappers. Don't know why anyone would want dual motors or the fab GL model with 3.5sec to 100. This one does 7.3 which is quite fast enough.
The electronic complexities frighten the sh1t out of me. My God, it will take me months to work out all the stuff that it can do...even remote parking FFS.
I think I will need my son to help me with all the features. Be fun learning together. I'm OK at computers but ..........
Pray for me :eek:
Ian.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
This will make a difference. Our largest electricity provider has just come out with a new tariff for electric vehicle charging at home. If you have a smart meter and can program your ev to charge between midnight and 6am, they will charge at a rate of 5c/Kw. Normal daily rate here is around 30c/Kw. That'll even out grid demand a lot as more Ev's hit the road. With free solar charging during day plus this new night rate, that makes EV's a given compared to fuel at $2.00/litre.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Well I took the plunge yesterday and bought a Kia EV6 electric SUV. AUS$80K. Bit of an ouch!! However, I am now 83 and figured one can't take it with you. Probably be my last car I imagine. 7 years wty so that makes me 90 :( when wty expires.
Over 500km range. Bought RWD single motor. BL00dy hell, it goes like the clappers. Don't know why anyone would want dual motors or the fab GL model with 3.5sec to 100. This one does 7.3 which is quite fast enough.
The electronic complexities frighten the sh1t out of me. My God, it will take me months to work out all the stuff that it can do...even remote parking FFS.
I think I will need my son to help me with all the features. Be fun learning together. I'm OK at computers but ..........
Pray for me :eek:
Ian.
Excellent! Ian, enjoy your new motor and plenty of reports please, oh and some pics would be nice. :cool::)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Everyone should go out and buy a new EV, with all the mileage claims on a single charge will be like the diesel low emissions fiasco. I can see millions being paid to EV owners within the next 5 years. Enough to buy them new batteries and land fill their old batteries.........

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
This will make a difference. Our largest electricity provider has just come out with a new tariff for electric vehicle charging at home. If you have a smart meter and can program your ev to charge between midnight and 6am, they will charge at a rate of 5c/Kw. Normal daily rate here is around 30c/Kw. That'll even out grid demand a lot as more Ev's hit the road. With free solar charging during day plus this new night rate, that makes EV's a given compared to fuel at $2.00/litre.
I seem to recall that in SE Qld we paid different tarrifs depending on the time of day the power was consumed.

At least the consumer had some control. Here, we just get gouged.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Everyone should go out and buy a new EV, with all the mileage claims on a single charge will be like the diesel low emissions fiasco. I can see millions being paid to EV owners within the next 5 years. Enough to buy them new batteries and land fill their old batteries.........
The quoted distances are a bit of a mirage. Much better mileage around town than on trip for starters. Secondly, one would not want to "run out" of power so need to look at minimum of 10% capacity left when planning a recharge on a long drive. Of course, one doesn't want to run out of petrol/diesel either but one can get a can and replenish on roadside. Temperatures also play a big part in mileage - not a problem where I live ;). With reccommended battery care, it is suggested that battery state should normally stay between 20 and 80%. That only leaves 60% usable on an everyday basis. So 500km "range" really equates to 300km between "fills". Quite okay for normal daily use in my opinion. Of course, there will be folk who do more than that daily which would mean having to charge to higher levels daily. Looking at my past history with my ICE cars, I very rarely do long distance drives - have a motorhome for holidays - so EV suits me to a T.
Time will tell.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
I seem to recall that in SE Qld we paid different tarrifs depending on the time of day the power was consumed.

At least the consumer had some control. Here, we just get gouged.
Yes and no. We have always had a lesser rate available for water heaters but the power was only available during off peak and controlled by the supplier via smart meters. Wasn't a big difference - only 4 or 5 c/kw less. The 5c/Kw now being made available for EV's is a real game changer. That's close to zero cost really. Just like you guys, we have had a 25-30% increase in electricity costs recently. In our climate, solar is KING. I have a 5KW/hr system and pay zilch for power - power to grid offsets usage othe times. I'm not a big power user.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
General rule of thumb, knock 20% off any manufacturers MPG claim Petrol/Diesel.
So presume same goes for EV distance claims. Be sensible and probably a bit of planning you should never run out of charge, same goes for Petrol/Diesel.

Top Bottom