Questions before buying V8 and choosing model - W212 / C218

rgnrtd

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 / C218
Hello,
I am currently driving a 100 horsepower diesel of another brand and I want to feel a little alive, time passes, life goes on, I will soon turn 30 and I want a little more emotion and pleasure from my car.
I have driven several different Mercedes models (190, 124, ML, CLS, CL, R, E, S) I have owned only one - a 124 73 hp, but I have been dreaming for years and I know that this is the car brand.

I focused on:
- E-Class W212 faceift
- E-Class W212 pre-face + placing an external facelift
- CLS C218

The engines I'm looking at are the M273 and M278. One is 388 hp. (5.5 volume), the other - 408 hp. (4.6 volume) - smaller, but with a turbo. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My questions are the following:

Engine
- Which is better (what are their "childhood diseases" for both, how expensive are they to remove once they occur)?
- Which is better in terms of speed - which is faster? Does the turbo have lag? Which one "jumps" more when you press the pedal, which has less reaction time?
- I guess the turbo engine does better in terms of fuel efficiency on a normal ride because it has a smaller volume?

The car
- Which engine breaks more?
- What are the most expensive repairs?
- What to look for weak points when looking at a car? Something like SBC on the W211?
- Do they have problems with the air suspension? With the suspension in general?
- What are the normal average prices for normal specimens and what are the average normal kilometers to expect at the moment?
- Is the turbo on newer engines fragile?
- 4Matic - I only know that it is 4-wheel drive. Is it problematic?

Service
Maintenance of engines and gearboxes - guide me with prices and how much oil each of the units collects? What else is changed except oil (water pumps and the like).
What else should be serviced on these cars - so far I'm used to oil and timing kit, I suspect that these engines have chains, but I do not know if they change and when. Orient me with prices for this as well.

Right now I'm leaning more towards CLS, but my worldview is of a single 29-year-old man. Before I pour the money, I will think about whether this will change in the near future and I will need an idea for a more comfortable and large car, such as the E-Class in my opinion.

Any car will be driven every day. Every day. I drive about 30,000 kilometers a year. Is it proper and possible to gasify each of the engines? Are there any dangers arising from this, is it worth it? (So far I've only driven diesels as a personal car, I'm a little scared of gas systems, but if it's OK for both the engine and the pocket, and safe - why not?)

I live in Eastern Europe. My income is 1500 EUR net per month, which is higher than average. I think that 250 EUR can be easily spent for the car (only for maintenance and repairs). I have no children and no wife. I want at some point to have.
My plan is to collect 8-10k EUR personal participation and to withdraw the rest on credit, which will be in the range of 300 - 400 EUR per month, so that the total cost of the car does not exceed 400 - 500 EUR. per month. At some point, I may be buying a home, which means that the already high budget for the car should not be exceeded. On the other hand, when we raise life and health, we will think further.

I am currently looking at cars in the price range of 15k - 20k EUR. Advise me if my financial thoughts are adequate and how I should change them and why.
I thought to have 2500 EUR for documents, transfer, registrations after purchase. The above price is purely for a car only.

I hope I have covered as many questions as possible, please if missed something tell me.

JohnOS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E500 Cab 4.7 TT V8
I have the M278 in my 2012 E500 Cab. I've driven a CLK500 with the M273. I much prefer the M278; way more "jump" when I go on the throttle. That's due to the monstrous torque. M278 is very tunable - previous owner remapped it up to 510bhp and 800nm. So I'd say M278 is better for performance, and probably fuel consumption too. However, M273 is M113 derived, is simpler, and less likely to give you problems.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Your maintenance budget is on the low side for a large V8, unless you hit a “sweet” car which nothing breaks on, like @Naraic and his cheapest ever car CL500 ;)

With these big V8s and especially the later cars, the typical repair costs are £500 per “thing” that goes wrong.

I have recently bought a 221 with the 273 5.5 engine. Engine itself is lovely but an intermittent sensor issue under repair isn’t goi g to be cheap to fix, I know!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Your maintenance budget is on the low side for a large V8, unless you hit a “sweet” car which nothing breaks on, like @Naraic and his cheapest ever car CL500 ;)

With these big V8s and especially the later cars, the typical repair costs are £500 per “thing” that goes wrong.

I have recently bought a 221 with the 273 5.5 engine. Engine itself is lovely but an intermittent sensor issue under repair isn’t goi g to be cheap to fix, I know!
That'll be £550 per 'thing' then Craig!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Oh, I've had that thing :rolleyes:
It’s the “standard cost” per “thing”. It’s directly proportional £: decilitres ;)

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Ah so if a headlight bulb goes out on my big V8 then its £500 then??.....just saying ...or am i just being pedantic?? Ha!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
My advice to you would be buy an E class estate S212 220cdi diesel with the mileage you cover. Most V8 MB owners run their cars as second cars with a mileage circa 3-5k miles per year. Fuelling the big V8 will empty your wallet and maintenance costs will certainly be high. At 29 you would be better to buy your house start a family and dream of the V8 in later years

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
My advice to you would be buy an E class estate S212 220cdi diesel with the mileage you cover. Most V8 MB owners run their cars as second cars with a mileage circa 3-5k miles per year. Fuelling the big V8 will empty your wallet and maintenance costs will certainly be high. At 29 you would be better to buy your house start a family and dream of the V8 in later years

I use my V8 as a daily driver, abeit not at moment as now going to Poland for a knee replacement soon, far as im concerned no point having a gorgeous V8 and not enjoy it everyday, and running costs? Yeah higher than other cars but worth it though

JohnOS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E500 Cab 4.7 TT V8
My E500 has just gone into storage from the winter, after 3000 glorious top down miles this summer, and it's back to the less thirsty and more grippy Golf R for the winter months.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah so if a headlight bulb goes out on my big V8 then its £500 then??.....just saying ...or am i just being pedantic?? Ha!
Only if it’s just the headlamp that’s goes out, and not the ballast + levelling actuator at the same time… ;)

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Hello,
I am currently driving a 100 horsepower diesel of another brand and I want to feel a little alive, time passes, life goes on, I will soon turn 30 and I want a little more emotion and pleasure from my car.

In my experience of Merc V8s, it's not the engine that goes wrong. It's the other stuff on the car that wears out first.

I have owned my V8 for 10 years and had zero problems with the engine and transmission. OK, there was a tiny oil leak from the cam covers which I fixed myself in an hour or so, but apart from that, nothing, except the usual service items, spark plugs, oil changes, filters etc. The M113k is bomb proof, with fantastic power and silky smooth performance, and an incredible sound track.

I definitely agree with your aim, life is too short to drive boring cars, and you are at an age now where you could start to own something a little more "interesting". I was 30 was when I started buying Porsche 911s.

What is the worst that can happen ? If you buy a dud, learn from it and move it on. You learn by experience. The trick is to buy a good used car. You can reduce the risk by paying for a professional inspection on a lift, and going for moderate mileage, low depreciation curve, careful owner cars. Why not post up some cars you are looking at and we can advise.

Just a word of warning, I have zero knowledge of detailed fuel and servicing costs, financing and insurance costs, and market trends in Eastern Europe, which describes a huge area from the Danube to Moscow. The above advice is UK related only ;)

Last edited:

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
In my experience of Merc V8s, its not the engine that goes wrong. It's other stuff on the car that wears out first.

I have owned my V8 for 10 years and had zero problems with the engine and transmission. OK, there was a tiny oil leak from the cam covers which I fixed myself in an hour or so, but apart from that, nothing, except the usual service items, spark plugs, oil changes, filters etc. The M113k is bomb proof, with fantastic power and silky smooth performance, and an incredible sound track.

I definitely agree with your aim, life is too short to drive boring cars, and you are at an age now where you could start to own something a little more "interesting". I was 30 was when I started buying Porsche 911s.

What is the worst that can happen ? If you buy a dud, learn from it and move it on. You learn by experience. The trick is to buy a good used car. So you can reduce the risk by paying for professional inspection on a lift, and going for moderate mileage, low depreciation curve, careful owner cars, why not post up some cars you are looking at and we can advise.

Just a word of warning, I have zero knowledge of detailed fuel and servicing costs, financing and insurance costs, and market trends in Eastern Europe, which describes a huge area from the Danube to Moscow. The above advice is UK related only ;)
Yes the M113k is bullit proof and normal servicing takes care of it, ive had rocker cover sealent replaced couple of times but apart from that, nothing, just replaced other parts due to age related wear and tear, when a car is nearly 20yrs old things will wear out so not an issue for me, id rather spend on parts than get another car and to have potential massive bills on that too?

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2021 213 E300e estate 216Cdi Sprinter (stretched limo)
Don't knock it until you try it...
The bigger diesels in the E-class range have a very decent performance but yes, not quite as good as a V8. I much preferred the straight six turbo-charged diesel as opposed to the 3.0ltr V6 turbo, but for many a year, the V6 diesel was the larger engine fitted into the E-class.

Just had a sudden thought and I do not know the answer.. In Europe is or was the V8Cdi engine an option. We had it in a GL and that was a beast of an engine and not as thirsty as the petrol counterpart

Before rushing into any decision, I would 'try before you buy'

The straight 6 diesel engine is now back in fashion but only available on newer E-class

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yup, I do know the answer :D

E-class did have the V8Cdi diesel as an option... That would be me as happy as a pig in the proverbial.. Not quite a V8 rumble but a nice engine with AMAZING torque

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yup, I do know the answer :D

E-class did have the V8Cdi diesel as an option... That would be me as happy as a pig in the proverbial.. Not quite a V8 rumble but a nice engine with AMAZING torque
Not available on the UK as RHD, it has had a few issues as well - please have a search on the forum

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not available on the UK as RHD, it has had a few issues as well - please have a search on the forum
Hi Blobcat
You and I both know that the V8Cdi E-class was not available in the UK, but..

The author of this thread comes from Eastern Europe, where I think we might both accept, they drive on the 'wrongside of the highway' Please search on the forum :)

We have had this V8 to play with and the thing was brilliant although I am not aware of any problems it might have

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom