R230 SL350 discoloured rear window side trim panels

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
Hi Kids!!

This is one of those occasions where a photo would be much better than words, but currently floating across the Irish Channel and the car is back home.

My much prized 2009 SL350 is suffering a bit of blight to part of the body work. The two piano black trapezoid panels that sit each side of the rear window are suffering from fade an crazing. It would seem that a car manufactured to take advantage of the sunshine is suffering from sunburn!!!

Has anyone out there experienced the same thing and found a good fix for it, other than of course packing it off to the local dealer with a purse full of gold sovereigns in the glove box for two new ones to be fitted.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I recently posted about changing these panels on my SL500. They are very easy to fit but quite expensive for 2 bits of plastic. I will look for the post.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Only satisfactory way is to replace - about £90 a pair from MB. A bit of a fiddly job but not that difficult. Flowrider shows how in his post.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
You could probably paint them gloss black I'd have thought?

You could paint, but its the clear coat which deteriorates and appears to go a bit lumpy. Flatting down and then painting to replicate the very high gloss of the plastic would be fiddly - thats why I chose to replace. No doubt the replacement panels will suffer the same fate though!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
My panels looked like they were de-laminating.

Presumably the OP hasn't been back as he fainted at the cost for 2 bits of black plastic.

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
My panels looked like they were de-laminating.

Presumably the OP hasn't been back as he fainted at the cost for 2 bits of black plastic.
Hi Flowrider! thanks for the walk through and the advice. Yes those parts do seem a little............... pricey, but I guess that if any of us had wanted just an average motor we would have bought an Audi (........ Hang on! I've got one of those too...)

Many thanks again.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I wonder if it would be practical to wrap them (carbon if you wanted to get fancy)?

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
A bit of an update............. sort of thing.

I thought I would put off replacing the two window side trims until after the winter (seemed reasonable). I also decided not to have a go at fitting myself. Even with Flowriders encouraging instructions and despite my own reputation of being a bit over enthusiastic with the tools at times. It's one of those things that screams "Step away from the vehicle" to me......... don't know why........ just does.

So I decided to bite the bullet and give a one of my local Mercedes dealers a call and get a quote for them to carry out the work.

Now considering including the VAT the parts were going to come in at the thick end of £130, I was somewhat staggered to find that depending on which dealer, the labour charge was anything from another two hundred to three hundred quid thereabouts on top!!!! The cheapest was quoted as being the job required an hour and a half to complete. Think I'm in the wrong game.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
A bit of an update............. sort of thing.

I thought I would put off replacing the two window side trims until after the winter (seemed reasonable). I also decided not to have a go at fitting myself. Even with Flowriders encouraging instructions and despite my own reputation of being a bit over enthusiastic with the tools at times. It's one of those things that screams "Step away from the vehicle" to me......... don't know why........ just does.

So I decided to bite the bullet and give a one of my local Mercedes dealers a call and get a quote for them to carry out the work.

Now considering including the VAT the parts were going to come in at the thick end of £130, I was somewhat staggered to find that depending on which dealer, the labour charge was anything from another two hundred to three hundred quid thereabouts on top!!!! The cheapest was quoted as being the job required an hour and a half to complete. Think I'm in the wrong game.
This is easily a 30 min job all in, usual dealer over estimating if you ask me. Give it a go yourself, it really is an easy job, just be gentle and make sure all the lugs line up before taping down with the hammer.

BTW mine still look like new.

SH0X

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C250D Coupe / Ex SL500 R230 - CLC V6 - Crossfire V6 - W203 C230k Coupe
I wouldnt spend money on replacing them they can easily be rectified IMO

Several options

Repaint & lacquer
sand down & re claquer
Sand down & polish
Vinyl wrap

I think I flat sanded and polished mine