Slight oil leak at edge of radiator

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 komp elegance se a 2005
I have a slight oil leak at the edge of the radiator on my 2005 c180 Kompressor which I only bought a couple of months ago. Didn't see the leak for the underpan till later. I have ordered a new radiator, gearbox filter and seal also new dipstick. I also have problems with the heater. I flushed the system and it did start working again. I flushed again then filled with antifreeze. Heater worked for a few days, then my cooler bottle went down to half and I topped up. Seems to be holding, but still no heat from the heater. Tonight I dipped the auto box and the level is high.
I am curious. Could this be where my coolant has gone and could this explain the heater working just after the flush and later not or is there another explanation?

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I would not use the car till you have changed radiator, and drained all A.T.F from g.box ,torque converter and changed g.box filter. Check flow and return A.T.F. Pipes for rust. Change thermostat. Hope fully all will be good for a few years.

OP
D

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've been reading up on the flush. My only worry is leaving some of the old oil in there. I know it won't be much. Although I hate wasting money would it be worth it to flush twice. I will be dropping the pan and pumping from the top hose to try and clear everything.

OP
D

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will I know with the colour if antifreeze is in the ATF?

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Undo the flow and return flexi pipes to get the last bit of A.T.F. Out, And turn the engine over for a few seconds.

OP
D

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am repacing the radiator those pipes will be out anyway. As for turning the engine over I read 4 minutes but I liked the idea I seen with a clear tube and watch for colour change.
Just waiting for the oil pan and filter to arrive so I can get going.

OP
D

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Having trouble trying to find the two O-rings for the ATF for the radiator as I would like to put in new.
PS I am in the UK.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
If thats got an internal leak into the box then you will need to flush it through, it will take around 30L of ATF. Ive tried other gearbox additives but none have ever done the job. Now I get the cheapest ATF to do the job and once its completely clear, carry out a further full fluid change using Mobil 134 which has an anticorrosive property in the oil.

Do also check the cooler pipes that go into the radiator end of the cooler, they have a terrible issue of going porous and rusting through. In fact I would probably order some anyway and do them at the same time. Preventative maintenance.

OP
D

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I started taking the radiator out on Sunday. But the bl00dy thing would not come out at the last step. (Looks so simple in the videos.) As light was getting on I endid up putting it all back together. Luckily the ATF that came out was a dark dirty red so no water. ATF filter and seal on the way.) Came back in and started googling the problem. Found two possible solutions 1) flat headed screwdriver levering a couple of catches 2) raising both evaporator and radiator, blocking off evaporator and pushing down on radiatorshould release the bottom clip. I hope it's 2 sounds simpler.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom