transmission is shifting hard. w203

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mb w203 2004 200cdi wagon
if the transmission has already began to shift hard sometimes, is it worth changing oil and filter? is there hope that will save and fix the transmission? or should i change transmission? dont want to waste money, w203 200cdi 2004 automatic. changes hard when i have little to none throttle down. if i drive hard it feels better.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
It is certainly worth a try. Was it done recently (or ever)?

It will cost £100 for parts if you do it yourself or around £200 to get it done professionally.
Either way it is the cheapest job you will do on the gearbox.
The gear change will feel smoother after the change but whether it cures your problem is anyone's guess.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
100% get the oil changed first and see how it goes from there.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
As above and even start with getting the oil level checked.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
With a 203, there are 2 versions of ATF change, The first and cheapest only changes the ATF in the box (plus filter) and involves about 4L of ATF and (OK mine was done 10 years ago) about £150, however if you want the TC done as well it's a lot more difficult, involves at least 7L of ATF, and I'm not sure what is involved in also changing the TC as there is no drain plug. I had my 2001 C270 done at about 70k miles, just the box and filter, and the gear change was certainly smoother. MB say this box is "sealed for life", but that's pure BS!

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is certainly worth a try. Was it done recently (or ever)?

It will cost £100 for parts if you do it yourself or around £200 to get it done professionally.
Either way it is the cheapest job you will do on the gearbox.
The gear change will feel smoother after the change but whether it cures your problem is anyone's guess.
hey no i dont think it has ever been done. i baught it a year ago now with 186 000km and cant find it in the history book at least

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With a 203, there are 2 versions of ATF change, The first and cheapest only changes the ATF in the box (plus filter) and involves about 4L of ATF and (OK mine was done 10 years ago) about £150, however if you want the TC done as well it's a lot more difficult, involves at least 7L of ATF, and I'm not sure what is involved in also changing the TC as there is no drain plug. I had my 2001 C270 done at about 70k miles, just the box and filter, and the gear change was certainly smoother. MB say this box is "sealed for life", but that's pure BS!
i will check if my has a drain plug. if so i will do the oil change my self

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There will be a drain bolt in the sump but the question is whether there is a drain bolt in the TC?
Some have and some haven't.

To do an ATF change, you have to drain the fluid from the sump, remove the sump, remove the old filter, clean the sump, see if the is a TC drain bolt and if there is then drain the TC. There is a lot of ATF in the TC.
If there isn't a TC drain bolt then you will have to decide whether to refill the box and do the whole job again in a short while or flush the system by removing a cooling pipe.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
You'll know by the colour of the fluid. Get a dip stick, check the level when warm and the colour it should be red if it has had 186K Kms it will be a brownish colour. Check also the smell, if it has a burnt smell the clutch packs are wearing badly.
To do a complete change, remove the gearbox sump, clean, refit new gasket, filter, and refill. After that take the banjo bolt off the RHS of the G/B slip a hose over it and put the end in a container where you can see markings of liters. Start the engine and when a liter has flowed out stop refill it with a liter and repeat until the fluid is coming through the same color as new.
Reconnect the banjo bolt cycle through the gears and when up to temperature check the level with the dipstick.
Also check the electrical connector to the G/B as the O rings leak.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You'll know by the colour of the fluid. Get a dip stick, check the level when warm and the colour it should be red if it has had 186K Kms it will be a brownish colour. Check also the smell, if it has a burnt smell the clutch packs are wearing badly.
To do a complete change, remove the gearbox sump, clean, refit new gasket, filter, and refill. After that take the banjo bolt off the RHS of the G/B slip a hose over it and put the end in a container where you can see markings of liters. Start the engine and when a liter has flowed out stop refill it with a liter and repeat until the fluid is coming through the same color as new.
Reconnect the banjo bolt cycle through the gears and when up to temperature check the level with the dipstick.
Also check the electrical connector to the G/B as the O rings leak.
thanks for info. i dont think i will do a flush because its so old fluid and that might clog stuff but i got recomended to do normal oil changes2-3 times with like a month between each time. so i will probably try that. do i have to buy the dipstick for this car by itself? that kinda sucks haha thought every car that used dipstick had it in all the time

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You will need a dipstick for the 722.6 gearbox like this one:-

The dipstick tube is towards the back of the engine with a black plastic cover on it. The is a little tab/locking pin on it that must be removed to get the cap off. When the tab is removed the black cover just pulls off.
Push the dipstick down the tube until it hits the bottom of the sump. From memory, it gets a little stiff at places as it goes into the tube. You will definitely know when it hits the bottom though.
There will be 4 - 6 inches sticking out at the top when the dipstick hits the bottom.
Dip it after a long run, with the car level and the engine running. Use the 80degC measurement.
The gearbox won't get up to temp as quickly as the engine so don't just use the engine temp gauge

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You will need a dipstick for the 722.6 gearbox like this one:-

The dipstick tube is towards the back of the engine with a black plastic cover on it. The is a little tab/locking pin on it that must be removed to get the cap off. When the tab is removed the black cover just pulls off.
Push the dipstick down the tube until it hits the bottom of the sump. From memory, it gets a little stiff at places as it goes into the tube. You will definitely know when it hits the bottom though.
There will be 4 - 6 inches sticking out at the top when the dipstick hits the bottom.
Dip it after a long run, with the car level and the engine running. Use the 80degC measurement.
The gearbox won't get up to temp as quickly as the engine so don't just use the engine temp gauge
great explenation thanks ! will buy one. i checked the location today and saw the red tab wasnt there so someone has bee there before me. but i will still change oil and that too be sure. but first buy dipstick and check

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom