Tyres crabbing jumping in slow turns, plus rear wheels spin in any conditions with such a powerful car pulling away

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
What ever happened with tyres 20 Yr ago 40k km was not out of question.
All in the hands (or feet) of the drivers. I regularly get 70 to 80 kilometres from a set of tyres, admittedly on lowish powered vehicles like ML270 and a Nissan Maxima 250. I just don't abuse tyres. My new Kia EV6 might present a different challenge with it's instant torque. Have to wait and see there.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
My 55 skips on full lock, forwards and reverse. Has had the best tyres and the worse tyres fitted during my ownership. It makes no difference. Even the Hunter 4 wheel computer alignment that was done. I'm used to it now, but it doesn't do it all the time

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My 55 skips on full lock, forwards and reverse. Has had the best tyres and the worse tyres fitted during my ownership. It makes no difference. Even the Hunter 4 wheel computer alignment that was done. I'm used to it now, but it doesn't do it all the time
My 911 can on full lock as well, guess it's part of the geometry - it has had full alignment and most of the suspension and control arms replaced to keep it correct in my ownership. Only notice it maneuvering around and usually in cold weather.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Ever tried winters or all season?

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 - AMG E 53 - 4MATIC - Premium Plus - Night Edition - Mild Hybrid Estate.
Just reading the first para I was going to say Pirelli P zero tyres are pants, a very hard tryre and suggest getting them changed.
Aye, I agree on that score, when I bought my W205 back in 2017 from new it was shod with P Zeros (Made in China by the way) and started crabbing.
Mercedes swapped them for Continental Summers FOC and never had a crabbing issue again.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
The crapping / skipping on the Cayenne with front Pirelli P Zero 285/30/22`s is horrendous , if temps are around 0 degrees. So much so i have been looking at getting a set of 20`s for the winter months.

The previous model had air suspension and 21`s and although evident it was no where near as bad as it is on the newer model.

Contemplating fitting a set of H+R lowering springs (-35mm) but i dont know if it would make the issue worse ?

K

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The crapping / skipping on the Cayenne with front Pirelli P Zero 285/30/22`s is horrendous , if temps are around 0 degrees. So much so i have been looking at getting a set of 20`s for the winter months.

The previous model had air suspension and 21`s and although evident it was no where near as bad as it is on the newer model.

Contemplating fitting a set of H+R lowering springs (-35mm) but i dont know if it would make the issue worse ?

K
Under 12 degrees my GLC crabs with Goodyear eagle F1 XL fitted . Learning to not overturn the steering wheel.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Learning to not overturn the steering wheel.

Trying this also , however reversing from the driveway onto our narrow street involves two lock -> lock turns meaning much crapping / skipping from the tyres and much wincing from me.

K

Plezier

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class CDI Station Wagon Automatic 2148cc (116 bhp)
What ever happened with tyres 20 Yr ago 40k km was not out of question.
Recall that a friend who was a company rep drove a Vauxhall Cavalier MK2 that had almost 80,000 mainly Motorway miles on it and was still on the factory fitted tyres. At first I did not believe him then we had a local chap come in for a replacement tyre on his MK1 Cavalier as he had damaged it and wanted the same type only to find that it was not available being a special tyre made for Vauxhall for new cars only. This chap bought his Cavalier from a car hire firm at Gatwick Airport him living in the next door town (Horley) so they can make tyres to last however where is the profit in that when they can make tyres that wear out in 5000-15000 miles which people accept.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Just something else. I think this time in history can be described simply as "less, for more" in any aspect of modern life.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Ever tried winters or all season?

All seasons is what I usually buy.
I have never bought, tried or driven a car with winter tyres in my entire life :shock:

My 911 can on full lock as well, guess it's part of the geometry - it has had full alignment and most of the suspension and control arms replaced to keep it correct in my ownership. Only notice it maneuvering around and usually in cold weather.

And on small round stones left on a the road after the road sweeper has been down :eek:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014

K
A lot of summer tyres lose flexibility and grip once temperatures drop below 7 Centigrade, its one reason to fit winter tyres as they are made from a compound that stays flexible and therefore has better grip at low temperatures. Its a common misconception that they're only for snow.
I'd highly recommend fitting winter tyres for the winter months. If you have the space and money a second set of rims and tyres is the way to go, you'll need to store the unmounted set away from direct sunlight either hung by the rim centres or stored flat to ensure that the tyres don't develop flat spots.
The bonus is that you can go for a higher profile tyre which will save you money both in purchase and from pothole damage.

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 - AMG E 53 - 4MATIC - Premium Plus - Night Edition - Mild Hybrid Estate.
A lot of summer tyres lose flexibility and grip once temperatures drop below 7 Centigrade, its one reason to fit winter tyres as they are made from a compound that stays flexible and therefore has better grip at low temperatures. Its a common misconception that they're only for snow.
I'd highly recommend fitting winter tyres for the winter months. If you have the space and money a second set of rims and tyres is the way to go, you'll need to store the unmounted set away from direct sunlight either hung by the rim centres or stored flat to ensure that the tyres don't develop flat spots.
The bonus is that you can go for a higher profile tyre which will save you money both in purchase and from pothole damage.
Hmmmm, my P Zeros were crabbing in the height of summer.:)

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All seasons is what I usually buy.
I have never bought, tried or driven a car with winter tyres in my entire life :shock:

And on small round stones left on a the road after the road sweeper has been down :eek:

Mercedes recommend all season or winters to stop cold weather crabbing . For a GLC anyways

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Crabbing - it does make me think that manufacturers should have acknowledged the problem as a characteristic instead of pretending it doesn’t exist. My rear wheel drive BMW does it just the once when leaving the drive due to the mixed road/path cambers involved. The E53 does the same but crabs several times relative to how low the temperature is.

Much better to give an explanation in the owners manual education is much better than denial I wonder how many cars have been rejected due to this my wife was quite alarmed when she first heard it one frosty morning just after we bought the car and wanted to reject the car until I explained what it was. The current trend of ultra low profile tyres don’t help there is little to no flex in the sidewalls and tread

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Crabbing - it does make me think that manufacturers should have acknowledged the problem as a characteristic instead of pretending it doesn’t exist. My rear wheel drive BMW does it just the once when leaving the drive due to the mixed road/path cambers involved. The E53 does the same but crabs several times relative to how low the temperature is.

Much better to give an explanation in the owners manual education is much better than denial I wonder how many cars have been rejected due to this my wife was quite alarmed when she first heard it one frosty morning just after we bought the car and wanted to reject the car until I explained what it was. The current trend of ultra low profile tyres don’t help there is little to no flex in the sidewalls and tread

I was thinking should I fit a non XL tyre to the front of my GLC . Do we think crabbing is the stiff sidewall or the tyre itself that skips and jumps ?? Would I benefit from a winter tyre that's XL if it is infact the stiff XL sidewall that's the issue . ??

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Michelin Cross Climates cured mine and they seem to be wearing very well after 7,000 miles

Are your crossclimates XL sidewall??

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
You will need an XL tyre or the car won’t handle properly. IMO crabbing is caused by a combination of things, low profile tyres (especially runflats), suspension set-up (camber) and the Ackerman principle.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom