1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual noises when pressing brake pedal

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by Jimmy77, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Jimmy77

Jimmy77 New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500
    Hi,

I have an R230 that today has started to emit a short squeal occasionally when braking. I tried braking when stationary with the engine running but in 'Park', and it still makes the noise as the pedal movement passes a certain point.

If I hold it at the point where it squeals, it continues for about two seconds and then stops abruptly. Also, if I press the pedal a bit harder, there's a relay in the front of the dash that clicks once, coming off the brake and then going back on and it will click again.

I'm thinking a vacuum leak that's being stopped by something, but with the relay as well, it's probably quite specific. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    No idea what it is without being able to hear it but it's unlikely to be vacuum as the r230 doesn't use vacuum for the brakes.

3. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti MBO Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
    I would say you have a faulty SBC pump, but hard to say unless It can be heard in person.

4. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    +1 SBC came to my mind too