W163 (ML270cdi) Gearbox Identification

EOLtd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 cdi 2005
Can anyone help me check the compatibility of 2 gearboxes (or tell me who I need tocontact) given the Chassis numbers of 2 model W163s - one of which I own (2005 model) and one I have access to (2004 model). The gearbox on mine has a faulty torque converter so I need to drop the gearbox out anyway, so thinking I may as well stick in a sound running (although older) gearbox, if compatible.

Alternatively, could you recommend an outfit to recondition a gearbox and torque converter at a sensible price?
Any help woudld be greatly appreciated.

stumo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270CDI x3 2002,03,04 | Sprinter 316CDI 2003 LWB
They are both facelift models so should be ok assuming they are also from the same model? ML270 uses the 722.661 so go for it if numbers match. If its not a 722.661 then its not compatible. A VIN lookup will give the trans numbers.

A bad TC can dump a whole crapton of crud throughout the trans. You should also reset adaptations in the TCM (or use the donor TCM) otherwise it will be using learned parameters from the old trans.

I changed mine for a slightly older one but both facelift and 722.661. Its a big job.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom