W202 Auto cluch slip

stelatham

Reaction score
I have an old w202 c220 diesel automatic, over the last month the auto clutch has been slipping in 3rd and 4th. It does it mainly from cold and stops when driven for 5 minutes or so. I have looked at the fluid which was a little low a little dirty. I’ve topped it up and may have put a little too much in. It does not appear to have got any better. It only seems to be a problem for first couple of miles then its fine but seems to be getting slowly worse. The car is worth nothing only to me and cant afford to spend a lot. Any help gratefully received.

Thanks Steve

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Too much fluid can damage your transmision and could make it change gears incorrectly.

Change the fluid and filter, this involves taking the sump/oil pan off the transmission, on older models there is a plug on the torque convertor to allow the fluid in it to be drained.

Be sure to use the correct fluid, older boxes can use low cost Dextron2 but later boxes use an MB only fluid that is a shade expensive.

Be sure to check the level with it hot and on the level, keep the engine running, pull the dipstick and allow it to tick over in N or P for a minute or so to let the dip tube drain before dipping the box. Not letting it drain may result in fluid all over the dipstick making it difficult to ascertain the true level.

Absolute cleanliness is essential, no bits of fluff from rags etc, clean the dip stick top before its pulled to prevent grity bits getting where they must not get, to avoid getting grit etc onto the dipstick (or the innards when you change the filter) keep your hands very clean whilst doing anything with the fluid parts of your transmission.

OP
S

stelatham

Reaction score
thanks very much, will try all you have suggested.
Thanks
Steve

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom