1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W210 Head Gasket Failure?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by johnnyj, Apr 26, 2011.

1. johnnyj

johnnyj Member

Hi all

I have a W210 E240 petrol auto saloon, 1999, 51k genuine miles. It has two problems, possibly connected (although it would be odd if they were!).

1. I have creamy gunge on the underside of the oil filler cap;
    2. the screen & lamps washer resevoirs won't hold water for more than a day.

The car always shows perfect temperature although I have noticed that I have to top the oil up every now and then. It always starts and runs 100% like new.

The washer resevoirs never appear to actually visibly leak (so where on earth is the water going??!!).

The two are probably not related but it is an odd coincidece.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

Many thanks

John

2. Silver_Star

Silver_Star Senior Member

Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
    Your Mercedes:
    W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
    Does your car do short journeys? If so condensation may be the cause of the mayo on the filler cap, provided it isn't using any water from the cooling system.

3. rpe2

rpe2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
    Condensation causes the mayo effect on this engine.

Re the washer bottle, check for a telltale drip/puddle under the car.

4. horgantrevor

horgantrevor Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220 CDI avantgarde c43//amg

as above the m112 engine on short journeys can have mayo under cap no need to worry its normal it due to a breather pipe it will go on a long journey

the water leek from windscreen it may be a connection under it if you look at the top of the tank their is a plastic screw star shaped remove it and then

lift it up and look for a leak i bet you have one on the system it also can leake were the level sensor is

5. OP
    johnnyj

johnnyj Member

Gentlemen, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

The car does about 8 miles to work and back each day, and I don't do long journeys. Mystery solved?!!

Regarding the washer resevoir leaks, I have had both units out and still can't find the leak. The funny thing is, there is never a trace of water under the car. Oh well, I can live with it given that the other problem appears to be "good news".

Thanks again

John

6. bigasotonuk

bigasotonuk Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
    Hi,
    As you can,t see the leaking washer fluid, i think it might be leaking under the bonnet onto the undertray, look closely at the where the washer pump attaches to the washer reservoir, there is a rubber grommet had this on my AMG it was about 20p for a new grommet from MB.