W211 blue smoke after idle

Smithy530963

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320, W164
Good to know, I've found out I could have applied for an "End User No." from HMC before the injectors came and saved me from asking for the duty returned... but you live and learn :)

abazem

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E270 cdi /2004/OM647
Well what a carry on...... (Brexit and the Lockdown affecting the docks) took me three tries to get the injectors here, all down to the "new" Brexit export procedures. the German company gave up twice and returned my money and core deposit without me asking them to, apologizing for the situation which was out of their control, suggesting I tried again later. I tried again "later" and finally I have a full reconditioned set of 6 injectors to go into my ML. The total cost, (so far), was 350euro for the injectors, 300euro deposit for the cores, (which I had 15 working days to return and are on their way back now via UPS), £22.31 for UPS couriered delivery, which was the company that delivered them, so all the delivery packaging could be used again, 1.9Kg total. As a reminder the company is "DieselFixNeuss" and I have to say they have been very good in the communication department, with the help of Google Translate, and I would have no problem recommending them. The final expense was the £81.25 Import Duty I had to pay, but as this is in effect a "returned repair/refurbishment" (once the cores have been returned) and therefore aren't a new "imported item" there's a good chance I will get the duty payment returned. I've already contacted the customs "ndrc.nch@hmrc.gov.uk" and the reply told me they will get to it, but there is a large backlog.... no surprise there. So hopefully I will have gotten 6 refurbished Bosch injectors for £305 which is quite good at less than £51 each.
Of course the fun started when it came to removing the old injectors. I had bought a removal kit from E-bay expecting the worst, and I wasn't disappointed. Three came out buy hand and I thought "this is going to be a doddle" I wonder what all the fuss is about.... the next three however were a real pain. The slide hammer tool managed to get the 4th one out after a while and the 5th also came out eventually, but with a much heavier slide hammer attached, the problem three were all the same side (Cyl. 4,5&6) where access seams to be a bit more limited, I realized later there is a section if paneling I could have unbolted had I not had an attack of "tunnel vision" focusing on the task rather than the "job". In the end I had to fabricate a puller to get the last one out (Cyl. 5). It was a real dog to do, but I was happy with the puller and I could have used it for all of the injectors and not bothered buying the slide hammer kit, total cost was less than £5. When the puller was attached and all set up I still had to use a breaker bar (30" long) and a lot of force to get the last one to break out, which it did with a loud "cracking noise", I actually thought I'd snapped it. After that it wound out quite easily with just a ratchet wrench on it. Cyl. 5 was the only one with any evidence of seal leakage, all the copper seals came out still on the injectors except for this one. I intend to clean up all the injector spaces and recut the seats with the kit I bought, also off E-bay, the day after tomorrow when I've got a bit of spare time. Just as a matter of interest, the expensive "Ceramic Grease" Merc recommend you apply before refitting can be bought from "Toolstation" quite cheap, I bought two tubes so that I can apply it liberally just in case I have this to do again.
On the plus side I believe I've also found the reason for me smelling, for very short periods, exhaust fumes inside the car every now and again, I had looked for the cause of this a few times without any success but I think it is from a leaking "O ring" on the large air induction pipe that connects to the EGR system at the joint just to NS of the Turbo. I could see evidence of carbon dust "steaming" away from this joint. On inspection the Green O ring was damaged, probably from me reassembling in a hurry after the Oil Cooler repair. I think this must be very common fail as Merc had the replacement O ring on the self.
Hope this info helps somebody in the future, not that I would wish it on anyone :)
Blue smoke issue has been sorted after changing all 6 injectors?

Smithy530963

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320, W164
Finally got this job finished... shame I couldn't put life on hold when my Merc's poorly, and its "official" my smoking has stopped!
Fuel economy has had a noticeable improvement too. Just to bring some closure to this job I also added a catch can (Provent copy) into the system by cutting into the rubber pipe from the PCV valve to the turbo and fitting two right angled plastic connectors. I lead the pipes (flow and return) down hill towards the front O/S to a space just in front of the front wheel arch, seemed made for the job, and the drain out passed the inner wing liner... seems to work fine.
I bought a Provent copy from E-Bay and replaced the filter inside with the "Real" Provent element as it is far superior to the plain gauze copy.

ChrissM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202
Well what a carry on...... (Brexit and the Lockdown affecting the docks) took me three tries to get the injectors here, all down to the "new" Brexit export procedures. the German company gave up twice and returned my money and core deposit without me asking them to, apologizing for the situation which was out of their control, suggesting I tried again later. I tried again "later" and finally I have a full reconditioned set of 6 injectors to go into my ML. The total cost, (so far), was 350euro for the injectors, 300euro deposit for the cores, (which I had 15 working days to return and are on their way back now via UPS), £22.31 for UPS couriered delivery, which was the company that delivered them, so all the delivery packaging could be used again, 1.9Kg total. As a reminder the company is "DieselFixNeuss" and I have to say they have been very good in the communication department, with the help of Google Translate, and I would have no problem recommending them. The final expense was the £81.25 Import Duty I had to pay, but as this is in effect a "returned repair/refurbishment" (once the cores have been returned) and therefore aren't a new "imported item" there's a good chance I will get the duty payment returned. I've already contacted the customs "ndrc.nch@hmrc.gov.uk" and the reply told me they will get to it, but there is a large backlog.... no surprise there. So hopefully I will have gotten 6 refurbished Bosch injectors for £305 which is quite good at less than £51 each.
Of course the fun started when it came to removing the old injectors. I had bought a removal kit from E-bay expecting the worst, and I wasn't disappointed. Three came out buy hand and I thought "this is going to be a doddle" I wonder what all the fuss is about.... the next three however were a real pain. The slide hammer tool managed to get the 4th one out after a while and the 5th also came out eventually, but with a much heavier slide hammer attached, the problem three were all the same side (Cyl. 4,5&6) where access seams to be a bit more limited, I realized later there is a section if paneling I could have unbolted had I not had an attack of "tunnel vision" focusing on the task rather than the "job". In the end I had to fabricate a puller to get the last one out (Cyl. 5). It was a real dog to do, but I was happy with the puller and I could have used it for all of the injectors and not bothered buying the slide hammer kit, total cost was less than £5. When the puller was attached and all set up I still had to use a breaker bar (30" long) and a lot of force to get the last one to break out, which it did with a loud "cracking noise", I actually thought I'd snapped it. After that it wound out quite easily with just a ratchet wrench on it. Cyl. 5 was the only one with any evidence of seal leakage, all the copper seals came out still on the injectors except for this one. I intend to clean up all the injector spaces and recut the seats with the kit I bought, also off E-bay, the day after tomorrow when I've got a bit of spare time. Just as a matter of interest, the expensive "Ceramic Grease" Merc recommend you apply before refitting can be bought from "Toolstation" quite cheap, I bought two tubes so that I can apply it liberally just in case I have this to do again.
On the plus side I believe I've also found the reason for me smelling, for very short periods, exhaust fumes inside the car every now and again, I had looked for the cause of this a few times without any success but I think it is from a leaking "O ring" on the large air induction pipe that connects to the EGR system at the joint just to NS of the Turbo. I could see evidence of carbon dust "steaming" away from this joint. On inspection the Green O ring was damaged, probably from me reassembling in a hurry after the Oil Cooler repair. I think this must be very common fail as Merc had the replacement O ring on the self.
Hope this info helps somebody in the future, not that I would wish it on anyone :)
WTF, how did you get them so cheap? My local workshop asked for 120eur for 1 refurbished injector. But overall about the topic, i can confirm that injectors ar the problem. I had grey smoke when on idle (om642 engine). Huge cloud :D The spray pattern was very wrong and 1 or 2 injectors were leaking. But it was riding all right, no substantial loss of power or anything crazy.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom