W211 blue smoke after idle

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Not sure what injectors you have but once reconditioned they possibly have new codes depending on which type(supplied in writing by whoever reconditioned them) which need to be programmed into the ECU to make them run even sweeter. sometimes they are lumpy and can smoke more before new codes are entered. thats prob what your garage was talking about? maybe they dont have a diagnostic kit to program them in?

Last edited:

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Standard factory mapping gives each cylinder 2 small and then 2 big and then 2 small injection pulses on each firing of a cylinder , when an engine is remapped only the 2 big pulses of injector firing are often left. This is how the mpg often goes up on a mapped engine.
The small firing pulses before and after are used to stop diesel clatter.
I would expect once you put a couple of hundred miles on it it will have quietened down.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Heard the ECU relearns the injector parameters eventually. I just stuck the codes in mine as I had a diagnostic program to do it

rossy

Reaction score
You all seem to have missed....they are the ORIGINAL injectors recon....all 6 so the code on the top is the code thats in the ECU and I have an Icarsoft which lets me code. So I made sure all injector code were correct before removing and they have gone back in their original place after recon. So the codes have not been changed but match each injector to Cylinder as before.
They had a machine to test the injectors as I watch and waited (at distance) when I dropped them off and out of the 6 4 failed 2 very badly and the other 2 passed.....but it seemed stupid not just get all 6 done as prob and more likey to be the factory fit ones at birth so to speak.
Guess put some miles on.....and hope that as the noise that was defo not there before I took injectos out...if will ecu re learn and dissapear??

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Are the original codings still valid after they've been reconditioned?

rossy

Reaction score
Are the original codings still valid after they've been reconditioned?
This is kinda my point...they are all new in effect and tested within tollerance....
Just wanna know if the car will sort its life out and "adapt" to them like the garage says...

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not that I remembered LK. I remember having to enter new injector codes for my Delphi injectors after reconditioning. I have paper work for each injector with a new 3Ci code which came with my recon injectors. Rossy if you didnt receive new codes with your recon injectors then obviously you dont need them then. This following is something I pulled from an official Delphi injector repair website which explains better than I could

"After the injectors had been tested, any which did not pass the authorised test were dismantled, repaired and reassembled in a clean, filtered environment. In this case the one repaired injector was again put through a complete test procedure on an authorised test bench and finally, recalibrated with a new C2i/C3i code, which was printed onto a label attached to the injector body.

The new calibration code is critical for the operation of the repaired injector. When fitted to the engine, it allows the software within the ECU to accurately control the injectors fuel delivery and switching times according to the specific parameters and performance for the vehicle."

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is kinda my point...they are all new in effect and tested within tollerance....
Just wanna know if the car will sort its life out and "adapt" to them like the garage says...
Personally thats something I have no knowledge of Rossy but if your garage says they will adapt they must know :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not that I remembered LK. I remember having to enter new injector codes for my Delphi injectors after reconditioning. I have paper work for each injector with a new 3Ci code which came with my recon injectors. Rossy if you didnt receive new codes with your recon injectors then obviously you dont need them then. This following is something I pulled from an official Delphi injector repair website which explains better than I could

"After the injectors had been tested, any which did not pass the authorised test were dismantled, repaired and reassembled in a clean, filtered environment. In this case the one repaired injector was again put through a complete test procedure on an authorised test bench and finally, recalibrated with a new C2i/C3i code, which was printed onto a label attached to the injector body.

The new calibration code is critical for the operation of the repaired injector. When fitted to the engine, it allows the software within the ECU to accurately control the injectors fuel delivery and switching times according to the specific parameters and performance for the vehicle."
It's possible that if he didn't receive new codes they forgot that step or forgot to send them.. .

rossy

Reaction score
It's possible that if he didn't receive new codes they forgot that step or forgot to send them.. .
They know because I asked and they said not needed...its a very fine tune....for emmitions and economy....it will adapt...as the miles go on....the issue I have is the noise when it does it...is a noise that you would normaly worry about....so the issue I have is:-
Told to use it and put miles on
But the noise puts me off using it....catch 22....
Just want to be 100% that is not doing any damage and will go away once ECU sorts it life out....
When you accelerate it sounds as it should....and at constant speed....its just pulling away, going up hill and light acceleration when it does it.....
Also if I hold the revs at exactly 1000 its a bit lump but no funny noises.....in fact when stationary there is no noise noticable...when reving

Last edited:

rossy

Reaction score
Just been out in it....its does seem to be getting quieter and queiter.....also left it to idle over 40mins and not one bit of any smoke whatsoever!!!!
So probably the only post that proves it is injectors!!
Feel much happier....

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They know because I asked and they said not needed...its a very fine tune....for emmitions and economy....it will adapt...as the miles go on....the issue I have is the noise when it does it...is a noise that you would normaly worry about....so the issue I have is:-
Told to use it and put miles on
But the noise puts me off using it....catch 22....
Just want to be 100% that is not doing any damage and will go away once ECU sorts it life out....
When you accelerate it sounds as it should....and at constant speed....its just pulling away, going up hill and light acceleration when it does it.....
Also if I hold the revs at exactly 1000 its a bit lump but no funny noises.....in fact when stationary there is no noise noticable...when reving

you wont do any harm to your engine as they are newly reconditioned. As youve posted they just wont run as sweet until they have settled in. Still find it strange they said new codes werent needed to be programmed in? Have they got star or other diagnostics capable of programming the injectors?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Just been out in it....its does seem to be getting quieter and queiter.....also left it to idle over 40mins and not one bit of any smoke whatsoever!!!!
So probably the only post that proves it is injectors!!
Feel much happier....

I think I called it at post #36 ;)

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bragging rights now Uncle Benz:D:D:D:D:D

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think I called it at post #36 ;)
Out of curiosity uncle Benz what brand are the OM642 injectors? Maybe you can settle if they are supplied with or without new codes after recon?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Out of curiosity uncle Benz what brand are the OM642 injectors? Maybe you can settle if they are supplied with or without new codes after recon?

From memory I think oe ones are Bosch. Automarine Diesel Services who I use for testing have always advised me that reconditioning of these piezo units can be hit and miss. I usually buy "service exchange" units from Mercedes, as they are reasonably priced (circa £200 each). As Brian at Automarine told me, I suspect these are in fact new units and Mercedes insist on your old units back to control the volume of recondition-able core out in the wider world.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some guys told me on here the time I got my Delphi Injectors recondition that it cant or should,nt be done, confusing at the time for me but then I had 4 recon injectors in my van working perfect so far to prove it. Do the Bosch injectors need coded to ECU?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Some guys told me on here the time I got my Delphi Injectors recondition that it cant or should,nt be done, confusing at the time for me but then I had 4 recon injectors in my van working perfect so far to prove it. Do the Bosch injectors need coded to ECU?

Yes, Bosch ones need coding. The recon route is a tetchy area. If a diy-er wants to have a go with them, that's fair enough. When you are running a business like I do, you need the job to be right first time. Choice of parts can influence that greatly, and your reputation can also suffer if you have to do a job twice. You can blame the parts, but ultimately I'm looking for customer delight, not just satisfaction. :)

rossy

Reaction score
Just ordered new glowplug module too......was struddling to start before the injectors were changed....fitted new Bosh glowplugs....same......just tested old ones (resistance test) all same at .9ohm so suspect module. Also ordered aditional earth strap to from where the earth is on the engine for the module to a chassis earth as extra preventative messure.
Also as fired up again today.....notice much much smoother running and tickover...reving etc.....
Be nice to get some worrless sleep....
Uncle Benz spot on.....good call. What put me off was the stories I had heard about high pressure diesels taking fingers off etc....
Once I was convinced there next to no pressure when engine off.....the injectors were simple to do....I know some can be very hard to get out....mine all came out by hand bar inj 6....which came out putting the injector puller under it but not actualy using it.
The worst part by a long long way are those torque bolts!!!!! Get good qolity ones and use the thicker copper washers (believed to be HONDA) seal better.....
Just need this covid thing to kalm down.....so it will get used again......having access to 4 cars.....but only really using one and thats the Wifes company car for obvious reasons......

Thanks for all the help......lets hope I dont need much of it now...LOL

Rossy

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Standard factory mapping gives each cylinder 2 small and then 2 big and then 2 small injection pulses on each firing of a cylinder , when an engine is remapped only the 2 big pulses of injector firing are often left. This is how the mpg often goes up on a mapped engine.
The small firing pulses before and after are used to stop diesel clatter.
I would expect once you put a couple of hundred miles on it it will have quietened down.
Not aware of any mappers that remove pilot injection.
Fuel economy is mainly gained from SOI adjustment and EGR disable.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom