W211 blue smoke after idle

R0SSY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 2007 3.0CDI CLS55 2006 AMG
LOL that "favourite inlet manifold gunk" whats just cost me £2k LOL. But you make sence.....just I read that because the Piston is obviously smaller than the bore.....at it heats up and the pistone is smaller than the block it expands more so more blowby when cold than hot.....guess they both seems to make sence on paper......but understand theres more vapour obviously when hot as sorta steam effect.....

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
This reads like the turbo oil seals are leaking once it warms up , had this before on a couple of cars , only happens at idle , no smoke while on the move

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
LOL that "favourite inlet manifold gunk" whats just cost me £2k LOL. But you make sence.....just I read that because the Piston is obviously smaller than the bore.....at it heats up and the pistone is smaller than the block it expands more so more blowby when cold than hot.....guess they both seems to make sence on paper......but understand theres more vapour obviously when hot as sorta steam effect.....

Piston always smaller than bore. The rings do all the sealing and they are spring loaded against the bore wall. That "fav gunk" will always occur while you have an operative egr. The particulates being regurgitated are the prime culprit with some help from pcv gases. I deleted my egr straight after cleaning out my inlet manifold and it is still pristine 100K later along with a beautifully running motor that doesn't throw any visible smoke other than a small puff on hard acceleration. Yep, I know I am being bad re Nox.....

R0SSY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can you plate off the flexi EGR pipe at the exhaust Y pipe leaving the EGR operating?

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Cannot be done ecu is tied in completely with the egr on this engine, only way is to delete it is get it removed out of the ecu’s map.

R0SSY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ok is there another way to vent on right side (as looking at engine) oil vapour....i.e. a blanking bolt or similar that could be removed and aditional PCV added?

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
ok is there another way to vent on right side (as looking at engine) oil vapour....i.e. a blanking bolt or similar that could be removed and aditional PCV added?

PCV is not the issue mate. The standard setup does the job quite well unless a fault develops in the separator.
The egr will still gunk the show up even without pcv gases. Diesel particulates are in themselves greasy by nature and will clog the system quite well without help from the pcv gases. Catch tanks are really a waste of time and effort.

R0SSY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
PCV is not the issue mate. The standard setup does the job quite well unless a fault develops in the separator.
The egr will still gunk the show up even without pcv gases. Diesel particulates are in themselves greasy by nature and will clog the system quite well without help from the pcv gases. Catch tanks are really a waste of time and effort.
Catch tanks are really a waste of time and effort? Disagree, when the turbo sucks oil via it under load the moment it fails......gunking up stuff even quicker! At least with a catch can...there is now way of oil (just fumes) getting to the turbo intake....
Just my experiance and opinion....:)
As for venting.....just seems on mine and others I have seen....once the engine is warm there are quite a lot of fumes for such a small 15mm or whatever it is diameter outlet into the PCV...and only on once side of the engine.....be nice to be able to vent the other side to into a similar setup!

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Catch tanks are really a waste of time and effort? Disagree, when the turbo sucks oil via it under load the moment it fails......gunking up stuff even quicker! At least with a catch can...there is now way of oil (just fumes) getting to the turbo intake....
Just my experiance and opinion....:)
As for venting.....just seems on mine and others I have seen....once the engine is warm there are quite a lot of fumes for such a small 15mm or whatever it is diameter outlet into the PCV...and only on once side of the engine.....be nice to be able to vent the other side to into a similar setup!

Everyone has their opinions. Fair enough. Time will tell when you see how little you actually accumulate in the catch tank over a couple of thousand miles. Then look to see how much is water etc and how little is oil. Yep, the tiny bit of oil would probably help to create the gunk but the quantity is minuscule in the overall scheme of things. Just don't expect miracles from a catch tank. Won't happen.

R0SSY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sailed through smog test....so MOT time tomorrow so if it does fail on out else (and it shouldn't after the Merc indi inspection) I got few months to sort.....you may laugh but not working means it give me time to save and fix out myself in that time.....had the weak brake light thing happen too today so made my own fix and works a treat!

Darrendazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 2007 v6cdi
This reads like the turbo oil seals are leaking once it warms up , had this before on a couple of cars , only happens at idle , no smoke while on the move
What’s the best way to find out if it’s the turbo oil seal. Like is there anyway I can run the car with certain pipes off so I can sort of pin point where the smoke from idling is starting from cheers as I’ve changed the breather got uprated airfeed to turbo from batwing still get the same build up of smoke after 5+mins of sitting idling

R0SSY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
from cold...i.e. start it and 5 mins after it smokes? Or once warm...5 mins later smoke....?

Darrendazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 2007 v6cdi
from cold...i.e. start it and 5 mins after it smokes? Or once warm...5 mins later smoke....?
I start it the odd time might get a little puff of smoke but I can drive about for hour or 2 and just fine maybe I little puff ere nd there if sitting in a good bit of traffic other than that nothing really but I can leave it sit idle for 5-10mins then it smokes but will clear out once I drive it down the road

Darrendazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 2007 v6cdi
I start it the odd time might get a little puff of smoke but I can drive about for hour or 2 and just fine maybe I little puff ere nd there if sitting in a good bit of traffic other than that nothing really but I can leave it sit idle for 5-10mins then it smokes but will clear out once I drive it down the road
I do get a little hesitation every now n then at about 3k like the turbo don’t wanna know but then I can left my foot off and back on and it’s there like normal again

Darrendazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 2007 v6cdi
From cold I can leave it about 10mins and it’ll smoke and from warm about 5-7mins then smoke

R0SSY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When the engine is warm and you undo the oil filler cap, is there pressure?

Darrendazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 2007 v6cdi
When the engine is warm and you undo the oil filler cap, is there pressure?
Going for a drive later il check once I park up best easier to check while running or off for a couple mins ??

R0SSY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
While running...also check the amount of vapour......have a rag handy as oil will splash out, splashing oil is normal from the cam/chain directly under.
Just I'm about to redue my oil catch can using MUCH biger internal diameter pipe.....any build up of blowby pressure in the crank case will I think restrict oil flow back to the sump from the turbo oil feed....its just a theory......it will then be forced out of the rear seal...only drips but on idle will build up and smoke.....but while driving would be un-noticable!
So would be interested in someone else with the same or similar issue doing the same test....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
An increase in crankcase pressure tends to force oil out of any orifice it can.
Smarts suffer from occasional failure of a one way valve in the breather which then allows full boost pressure (21psi) directly into the crankcase and the usual clue it's failed is oil leaks all over.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom