w211 Engine mounts

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
My 2004 E320 CDI has a vibration at 1500 to 2000 rpm under gentle acceleration. It's done 160k so I suspect engine mounts need replacement. I'm not planning on buying from main dealer, but see several different manufacturers available; Femi, Lemforder, Vaico etc. Also, some seem to specify left or right while others quote the same part for both. Any guidance welcome.

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
I replaced mine (w211 om642) with Corteco. I must say I'm not very impressed, the car felt brilliant for around 500 miles then a slight vibration at idle could be felt, especially through the wheel and the engine noise became more pronounced through the car.

They were cheap, £80 for the pair, so it's probably my fault for skimping. I'd be surprised if the Lemforder mounts weren't better quality, and at around £120-140 for the pair not too expensive. It's important to get right, it has slightly degraded the pleasure I get from the car TBH, there's a slight roughness and lack of refinement that wasn't present before the old mounts failed. You get what you pay for!!! :)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Febi or Lemforder are OK, I tend to go with main dealer on them, as the originals lasted 160k!

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The mounts removed from my car weren't Mercedes they were an after market brand, so it's on it's third set in 148,000 miles. The car has a full SH I believe the mileage to be genuine. I think the OM642 is hard on mounts TBH.

I'd second Febi too if your trying to keep costs down, but given it's quite a big job your probably better off paying a bit more for Lemforder. Mine isn't terrible by any means, and I bought it like this I'd be perfectly happy, it's just lost a tiny bit of refinement. I'm kind of hoping the mounts don't last more than another year so I can fit better quality versions.

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
The mounts removed from my car weren't Mercedes they were an after market brand, so it's on it's third set in 148,000 miles. The car has a full SH I believe the mileage to be genuine. I think the OM642 is hard on mounts TBH.

I'd second Febi too if your trying to keep costs down, but given it's quite a big job your probably better off paying a bit more for Lemforder.
There was a YouTube thingy I watched a while ago with an Aussie bloke I think who was injecting some stuff into the center of the new engine mounts which he said would vastly increase the mounts working life .

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
Lemforder is the brand name of ZF components for the aftermarket. It has the ZF logo on the boxes.

Attachments

• IMG_20190409_142016.jpg
    IMG_20190409_142016.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 16
OP
P

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Does anyone know where I can get an offset spanner for the top bolt that costs less than 40 quid? all the ones on fleabay come from the US. Or, maybe someone has a suggestion for how to shift the bolt in the limited space available?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lemforder are Original

May be original manufacturer but not necessarily made to the same standard for the aftermarket.

OP
P

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, I swapped them today, using Lemforder. I didn't need the special spanner as I found I had a 5/8in open ended spanner that did the trick.... lucky, I guess. Also did the gearbox one, which looked OK but must have sagged some as I had the jack up the gearbox to line up the holes. Result: Better, but still some vibration on acceleration, so need to look further (or just live with it). Suppose it means the old mounts aren't as bad as all that considering they have done 100k while I've had the car, so may be originals? Thanks again for the advice.

OP
P

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh! and as an aside, checked EGR valve which was spotless and don't think I (or the car) have swirl flaps

HaydnM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML350 / W164
May be original manufacturer but not necessarily made to the same standard for the aftermarket.

Cause they are made to the same standard, most of Lemforder parts come through with the logo ground off

As they are not allowed to sell by law with the Vehicle manufacturers logo on

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Well, I swapped them today, using Lemforder. I didn't need the special spanner as I found I had a 5/8in open ended spanner that did the trick.... lucky, I guess. Also did the gearbox one, which looked OK but must have sagged some as I had the jack up the gearbox to line up the holes. Result: Better, but still some vibration on acceleration, so need to look further (or just live with it). Suppose it means the old mounts aren't as bad as all that considering they have done 100k while I've had the car, so may be originals? Thanks again for the advice.
What was the cost of the mounts in the end buddy , I may have to do mine soon I'm approaching 100k

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cause they are made to the same standard, most of Lemforder parts come through with the logo ground off

As they are not allowed to sell by law with the Vehicle manufacturers logo on

My direct experience says otherwise.

OP
P

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What was the cost of the mounts in the end buddy , I may have to do mine soon I'm approaching 100k

One was £46.28 and the other was £55.60; Lemforder give different part numbers for left and right and different prices.
The auto box mount was £16.50
I bought from Buycaparts.co.uk
I think they ship from Germany - total cost of the order was £130.78 and it took a week to arrive

The price difference doesn't look to have any logic; The Lemforder costs more for the right hand mount. Thought it may be because it comes with the heat shield to protect from exhaust, but they both came with them.

Corteco are a bit cheaper but their RH is cheaper than LH

After I had chosen I came across a press release from Corteco saying theirs are the dogs' and three out of four of the competition fail benchmarking tests

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One was £46.28 and the other was £55.60; Lemforder give different part numbers for left and right and different prices.
The auto box mount was £16.50
I bought from Buycaparts.co.uk
I think they ship from Germany - total cost of the order was £130.78 and it took a week to arrive

The price difference doesn't look to have any logic; The Lemforder costs more for the right hand mount. Thought it may be because it comes with the heat shield to protect from exhaust, but they both came with them.

Corteco are a bit cheaper but their RH is cheaper than LH

After I had chosen I came across a press release from Corteco saying theirs are the dogs' and three out of four of the competition fail benchmarking tests
I read that to, wasn't sure what to make of it TBH, I thought it could just be a load of marketing spiel. Sounds like you got a good price on the Lemforder mounts.

Mine were changed by lowering the subframe, seemed the easiest way using a lift.

OP
P

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I read that to, wasn't sure what to make of it TBH, I thought it could just be a load of marketing spiel. Sounds like you got a good price on the Lemforder mounts.

Mine were changed by lowering the subframe, seemed the easiest way using a lift.

Did mine the old fashioned way with stands and trolley jack. Hadn't done much car stuff for some years so was a good confidence boost.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom