W211 Rotary Light Switch Malfunction At 'Auto'

SmoothBall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Kompressor W211 2003 1798 cc Petrol
Hi,
Puzzling electrical issue (aren't they always?),
  • Initially, I noticed over past few days that the boot lights were not turning on when boot lid was opened.
  • Also noticed tonight that rear interior ceiling light was not illuminating when driver's door opened, though front ceiling light was illuminating.
    • The switch up by the rear view mirror to prevent these interior lights illuminating upon door opening was not depressed, i.e. front and rear lights should come on.
    • I guessed it was a fuse issue.
  • Tonight, warning beeps and 'Switch off lights' in dashboard as I opened door with key out of ignition despite rotary, exterior light switch at 'Auto'.
    • It shouldn't complain at 'Auto'; it should just turn off the exterior, front and tail lights after I leave the car.
    • Exterior lights remained on until I set the switch to '0'.
  • Found a website that,
    • indicated fuse 52 protects "Rotary light swich S1, Cluster, Glove Compartment". I checked it and it was fine, so I replaced it.
    • made no mention of what fuse protects interior ceiling or boot lights.
  • Then a change in behaviour,
    • the rotary light switch was no longer warning me when I opened driver's door with key removed from ignition; appeared to be working as it should.
    • Rear interior ceiling light comes on when driver's door is opened, but only sometimes, not every time.
  • Few minutes later, rotary light switch was back warning me to 'Switch off lights' even though it was set to 'Auto'.
  • Boot lights never came on at any point.
  • There is no malfunction reported in the dashboard, nor is there the "Battery convenience functions temporarily inactive".
So, what seemed like a simple fuse issue, now appears to be an intermittent problem affecting what you'd imagine are unrelated circuits.

Anyone know if there's a simple answer? Can anyone confirm what fuse 52 protects and what fuses control the boot lights and the interior ceiling lights/

Grateful if anyone could illuminate. (Geddit? Like what I did there? :D)

Tx,
Ken.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom