W213 E220d 2017 cold start, white smoke, engine shaking

W213_london

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d 2017 w213
Hi all,

I was driving on the motorway and suddenly heard rattling noise from engine, and noticed clouds of white smoke coming from the exhaust pipe.

Ever since my car has been shaking/vibrating, and also experiencing underacceleration as well as misfire when stopping (sometimes).

Can anyone advise what this could be? The mechanic who is looking at the car tomorrow asked me to get the dpf delete removed, so put back to normal, and then he can check the car.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
An uneducated guess would be injectors. I can’t blame a garage wanting the rectification to be made as it must be hard trust how well it’s been done and obviously, harder to diagnose issues accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
As above. I think putting the DPF back in is a waste of time for diagnosing your problem and is just going to cost you money.
You need to check an injector(s) and compression before doing anything else

Reactions: DSK

gianton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C250 CDI 4Matic Avantgarde - 2013
As above what mileage is your car at, I would change all four injectors if it’s above 140k miles. I did this on my C250 cdi ‘13 model at 200k miles and car was like new again. I didn’t want to waste time and cash for checking the old ones.

OP
W

W213_london

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d 2017 w213
Apparently injectors are fine. Got the car back, injectors & dpf reprogrammed, oil and oil filter changed because when the dpf regen doesnt occur, it mixes fuel with oil.

However still, on a cold start, the engine is shaking and i noticed a bad gas like smell from engine and engine was also shaking, vibrating, even when driving a little down the road. Afterwards, when engine got to normal temp, there was no smoke, or smell. But even when warm, i can feel some vibration from engine.

OP
W

W213_london

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d 2017 w213
Apparently injectors are fine. Got the car back, injectors & dpf reprogrammed, oil and oil filter changed because when the dpf regen doesnt occur, it mixes fuel with oil.

However still, on a cold start, the engine is shaking and i noticed a bad gas like smell from engine and engine was also shaking, vibrating, even when driving a little down the road. Afterwards, when engine got to normal temp, there was no smoke, or smell. But even when warm, i can feel smoke vibration from engine.
Taking it back tomorrow to get it checked again.

OP
W

W213_london

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d 2017 w213
As above what mileage is your car at, I would change all four injectors if it’s above 140k miles. I did this on my C250 cdi ‘13 model at 200k miles and car was like new again. I didn’t want to waste time and cash for checking the old ones.
Apparently it is 55000 miles. Not sure if genuine

OP
W

W213_london

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d 2017 w213
1) on cold start, experiencing alot of white smoke, bad gas-like smell from engine, and engine shakes/vibrates heavily, even when driving down a little down the road, then goes back to normal after.

2) when warm, no smoke or smell but engine still vibrates a little when stationary

3) also noticed the powers a little different; would have to accelerate harder so car would change gear and rev up (but not like a major loss of power)

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Do a physical compression check.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom