What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Its coming up to NCT ( MOT ) time, next wednesday to be exact, so as its also time for the annual oil change and filter, I did the oil / filter change yesterday, and as they say, every time you do something even if it's a repeat, you learn something new, and so it was yesterday too for me.
Ordinarily, when using the suction pump to extract the oil, I would be working on the principle that if the dipstick was at the front of the engine, then I'd face the car downhill, and if it was at the rear, facet the car uphill. But yesterday changed all that for me with the Merc.
I parked on the patio at home, with the car at right angles to the slope, then put the jack under the front passenger side to level it ( checked with a spirit level ) All fine, inserted the extraction tube, connected the draper to the compressor, started it up, and off we go. It drained about 5.5 litres, and began to slow down a bit. So I jiggled the pipe around and tried again.....no luck. More jiggling the pipe ... then I had the bright idea to jack it up a bit higher...worked a treat !!! pumped the full 6.5 ltes out and perhaps 1/2 ltr more.
Moral of the story is, if you want a 100% engine oil drain from your Merc, face the car downhill...and raise it on the front passenger side. Attached is a pic of the oil sump, so you can see where I'm coming from. The moral of the story is, unless the car is placed right, only some of the oil is drained...and if it is then filled the 6.5 ltrs, it will be over filled. The same would apply even if putting the car on axle stands and removing the sump stud....if it was tilted the wrong way, then all the oil will not flow out.

Attachments

• Mercedes Benz Engind Oil Sump IMAG6197.jpg
    Mercedes Benz Engind Oil Sump IMAG6197.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 19

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Its coming up to NCT ( MOT ) time, next wednesday to be exact, so as its also time for the annual oil change and filter, I did the oil / filter change yesterday, and as they say, every time you do something even if it's a repeat, you learn something new, and so it was yesterday too for me.
Ordinarily, when using the suction pump to extract the oil, I would be working on the principle that if the dipstick was at the front of the engine, then I'd face the car downhill, and if it was at the rear, facet the car uphill. But yesterday changed all that for me with the Merc.
I parked on the patio at home, with the car at right angles to the slope, then put the jack under the front passenger side to level it ( checked with a spirit level ) All fine, inserted the extraction tube, connected the draper to the compressor, started it up, and off we go. It drained about 5.5 litres, and began to slow down a bit. So I jiggled the pipe around and tried again.....no luck. More jiggling the pipe ... then I had the bright idea to jack it up a bit higher...worked a treat !!! pumped the full 6.5 ltes out and perhaps 1/2 ltr more.
Moral of the story is, if you want a 100% engine oil drain from your Merc, face the car downhill...and raise it on the front passenger side. Attached is a pic of the oil sump, so you can see where I'm coming from. The moral of the story is, unless the car is placed right, only some of the oil is drained...and if it is then filled the 6.5 ltrs, it will be over filled. The same would apply even if putting the car on axle stands and removing the sump stud....if it was tilted the wrong way, then all the oil will not flow out.
You getting the underside washed for your NCT as well?

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
You getting the underside washed for your NCT as well?

Yes, at least under the wheel arches,,,that and the body / interior is Tuesday's job. . I'll clean as much as I can by jacking it up side by side, and as far as the Karcher lance will go, I'll clean. No point in doing it any sooner, with the condition of local road's, which are very bad. One good thing about the Mercs, is that the underbody trays cover adn protect lot.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
It's down to 4°, I better put some more coal on .

2020-01-05 20.35.58.jpg

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
You do wonder though how it wasn't made a fuss of at the time , and we just made the switch to central heating in our own time .

What gets me is ****** bonfires in the hottest summer weather when you have all the windows open .

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
There's diesel and there's diesel...

20170522_23FTdiesel_driversw-1.jpg

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
There's diesel and there's diesel...

20170522_23FTdiesel_driversw-1.jpg

If you have ever watched Diesel Brothers they all do this, there is also another programme based in Las Vegas that a guy builds hot rods has done some Diesel that are rather smokey

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Just don't see the attraction , got to be some kind of attention seeking .

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Just don't see the attraction , got to be some kind of attention seeking .

I believe it's also down to "Coal-Rolling" - the ancient art of p1ssing off Prius drivers, by overtaking them and then flooring it... leaving them in a cloud, as above!

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
I have got one like that , sadly haven't driven for several years due to an uprated clutch and ankle injury .

Only around 300 bhp and 300 ftlb but 1275kg , Evo fast .

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom