What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Filled it with cardboard boxes! :eek:

My friends are moving so I've got a load of boxes from Freecycle.
With the seats down the load area is cavernous! :D

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
No, wouldn't even expect these days

I just hope it wasn't done on purpose...

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

I know it probably isn't what you want to hear right now and my apologies in advance for "preaching to you about how to suck eggs" but as time rolls on we all need to constantly re-assess our vulnerability against the criminal elements and protecting our physical property around our homes is something we all should consider. I am a member of our local CCTV sharing group which was started and is managed by our community Police rep and on the strength of reports to the Police, a call goes out to the CCTV sharing group for any footage in specific areas within time windows and the system works, you don't need to spend a fortune on surveillance cameras, just one that records readable images pointing in the right direction will do, it's like having a watchman with a photographic memory looking out 24/7, you just need to keep on top of the cobwebs in front of the lens :)

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
I know it probably isn't what you want to hear right now and my apologies in advance for "preaching to you about how to suck eggs" but as time rolls on we all need to constantly re-assess our vulnerability against the criminal elements and protecting our physical property around our homes is something we all should consider. I am a member of our local CCTV sharing group which was started and is managed by our community Police rep and on the strength of reports to the Police, a call goes out to the CCTV sharing group for any footage in specific areas within time windows and the system works, you don't need to spend a fortune on surveillance cameras, just one that records readable images pointing in the right direction will do, it's like having a watchman with a photographic memory looking out 24/7, you just need to keep on top of the cobwebs in front of the lens :)
Cannot believe the cheek of folks nowadays.. just wanted to respond to your cctv information... good to see the police organised to pursue these sorts of reports.. my neighbour was having trouble with a relative who was vandalising all their cars... that girl didn’t sleep for monitoring her app and got lucky.. unfortunately due to covid a mask had been added to his attire of low pulled hoodie, so not much to go on. However perseverance both on her part due to his, they knocked on his door and it’s going to court... an interesting by product of that, was capture of others breaking into my mum’s car... she has had her car rifled through on so many occasions and her badge stolen twice which is a royal pain... Bonny and Clyde arrive split up for both sides of the road and go up and down the street pulling on all door handles for an opportunity.. on one occasion Clyde has met with an accident and has crutches which don’t deter him... mum’s car is just out of shot and my neighbour comes out just as he is helping himself in and bravely she shouts to him and he says something along the lines of it was open and I am shutting it :rolleyes:
Footage off to the bobbies and told to call the next they are spotted. they come around next time they are about and chase them.. the hobbling doesn’t help.... give them a speaking to, but... yep... they are back again after a few days!!!! o_O

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cannot believe the cheek of folks nowadays.. just wanted to respond to your cctv information... good to see the police organised to pursue these sorts of reports.. my neighbour was having trouble with a relative who was vandalising all their cars... that girl didn’t sleep for monitoring her app and got lucky.. unfortunately due to covid a mask had been added to his attire of low pulled hoodie, so not much to go on. However perseverance both on her part due to his, they knocked on his door and it’s going to court... an interesting by product of that, was capture of others breaking into my mum’s car... she has had her car rifled through on so many occasions and her badge stolen twice which is a royal pain... Bonny and Clyde arrive split up for both sides of the road and go up and down the street pulling on all door handles for an opportunity.. on one occasion Clyde has met with an accident and has crutches which don’t deter him... mum’s car is just out of shot and my neighbour comes out just as he is helping himself in and bravely she shouts to him and he says something along the lines of it was open and I am shutting it :rolleyes:
Footage off to the bobbies and told to call the next they are spotted. they come around next time they are about and chase them.. the hobbling doesn’t help.... give them a speaking to, but... yep... they are back again after a few days!!!! o_O
Sadly, more often than not the criminals do get away with it and absolutely nothing will stop the career criminals among us, they are just a bad example of human nature at it's worst. All we can do collectively is keep reporting crime to the people in authority who are in a position to do something about it.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Well! Outstanding news! The dealer has agreed to pay for the fitting of 4 new tyres!
I'm going to go with the Dunlop's that @JBell recommends
I know they're not winter tyres but I'm considering a set of 18" wheels for that if I feel I need to during the icy season
Result! Not sure where you live but having good tread is most important for winter. If your local weather gives lower than 4 degrees on a consistent basis then consider 'all weather' if regularly below zero then winter tyres (shorter braking distance!). I'm in Llandudno N Wales so standard tyres are fine all year

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Result! Not sure where you live but having good tread is most important for winter. If your local weather gives lower than 4 degrees on a consistent basis then consider 'all weather' if regularly below zero then winter tyres (shorter braking distance!). I'm in Llandudno N Wales so standard tyres are fine all year

I'm in the middle of the country, Beds, and have never felt the need for winter tyres before, even in my frantic sports cars days. The Dunlop's have good wet braking and traction according to the tests so I think I'll be ok.
Fitting on Tuesday :D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'm in the middle of the country, Beds, and have never felt the need for winter tyres before, even in my frantic sports cars days. The Dunlop's have good wet braking and traction according to the tests so I think I'll be ok.
Fitting on Tuesday :D
Ditto in Northamptonshire.
The Rainsports seem to cope very well with low temperature, most likely down to the high silica content that gives them the excellent wet weather performance.
It's the silica content that also aids winter tyre performance.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Here in the Fenlands, we spit at winter weather. Don't even know what it is :rolleyes:..........
Llandudno, wow my favourite place after London :cool:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Ditto in Northamptonshire.
The Rainsports seem to cope very well with low temperature, most likely down to the high silica content that gives them the excellent wet weather performance.
It's the silica content that also aids winter tyre performance.
They are a peculiar combination of superb grip and low price, at perhaps the cost of higher radiated noise.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Filled it with cardboard boxes! :eek:

My friends are moving so I've got a load of boxes from Freecycle.
With the seats down the load area is cavernous! :D
Wow you are a good friend, we are moving house so I know how useful those boxes are!

Mercedes SL500 R231

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Oil change time. 251 first! F2FE86D7-E36E-4117-9506-1B15C096D851.jpeg A291381F-B00E-4295-BC4D-AAB693E98A1B.jpeg

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Ok. So it's time to 'tune up' courtesy of acid@msl
Went for the group buy of the MyGenius handheld unit for my 2013 CSL 63.
Unit arrived well packed and on the day promised. Instructions to a) update the handheld via computer and b) to download the OEM ECU file was easy to follow.
Then upload file to MSL.....24 hours later and Tune file received.
Downloaded to MyGenius unit and.......
Followed instructions to write into the ECU. Lots of messages on dashboard about stuff not working (worrying but normal) after several instructions to turn dash/key on and off (which feels like pointless repetition - but isn't) I get the 'Upload Completed' switch off.......
So starting and running. All great. Everything works fine. Engine is smooth, sounds more responsive.
Haven't had chance to warm up and go for broke yet,.... But I've already noticed my rear tyres don't appear to have as much grip as pre-tune

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
A very pleasant run up to Hartlepool to see HMS Trincomalee then a wander along Seaton Carew beach, then down to Whitby and over the moors to York. Beautiful day, beautiful scenery and a very pleasant drive.

Had the cruise set just over 70 (to account for Speedo errors :cool:) on the A64... Audi TT goes past me like I’m stood still... Camera van on top of bridge facing our way a couple of hundred yards down the road... I then go past the TT still on cruise...
Unfortunately for him it’s not an average the camera van takes...

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
A very pleasant run up to Hartlepool to see HMS Trincomalee then a wander along Seaton Carew beach, then down to Whitby and over the moors to York. Beautiful day, beautiful scenery and a very pleasant drive.

Had the cruise set just over 70 (to account for Speedo errors :cool:) on the A64... Audi TT goes past me like I’m stood still... Camera van on top of bridge facing our way a couple of hundred yards down the road... I then go past the TT still on cruise...
Unfortunately for him it’s not an average the camera van takes...
According to two GPS references my Speedo reads 2 mph low so 72 allowed. General allowance is 10% + 2 so add another 7 but leave 2 in reserve.
79 works for me

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Whenever I've seen speed indicated signs flash up in villages, roadworks or prior to average speed camera warnings they have always matched the speed indicated on my GPS devices and never my car which is always 2/3 MPH slower.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
I’ve always wondered if that works through average speed cameras?
Don't think so. I'm told that for averaging cameras there is no 10% margin of error allowance just a 2% trigger so I use 74 as a max in averaging areas.
So far that's working out ok.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’ve always wondered if that works through average speed cameras?
Yes :p
I set 76, 65/6, 55, 45 :cool::p:D
A lot of time I cruise at 68 if I’m not in a hurry though and there’s quite a mpg benefit from 76

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Whenever I've seen speed indicated signs flash up in villages, roadworks or prior to average speed camera warnings they have always matched the speed indicated on my GPS devices and never my car which is always 2/3 MPH slower.
They’re set right on the limit

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Washed and dried early this morning. Just been out to vac and wipe down the interior and the outside is all dusty already! :(
It needs a spirited drive to blow it all off! :D

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom