What is going on?! Please Help!! :confused:

bigt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, E300, Vito 110 CDI, ML270
Definitely worth checking battery voltage, as mine was doing strange things with warning lights as the alternator slowly died. Put a multimeter on the battery with the engine off and after car has been parked overnight. If it shows over 12.2 you are ok, if lower borderline - if a lot lower, could be battery is on the way out and causing your problems. These cars are very voltage sensetive.
hth
trev.

OP
M

MercMLman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270/2004/2.7L Diesel
Definitely worth checking battery voltage, as mine was doing strange things with warning lights as the alternator slowly died. Put a multimeter on the battery with the engine off and after car has been parked overnight. If it shows over 12.2 you are ok, if lower borderline - if a lot lower, could be battery is on the way out and causing your problems. These cars are very voltage sensetive.
hth
trev.

Thank you very much for your input.
I've had the battery on a volt meter and it is constantly above 12.2V as I someone did mention that for another sensor fault and so I had a look :)

bestmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C32 AMG
get the abs pump checked as ive had a similar problem before

OP
M

MercMLman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270/2004/2.7L Diesel
get the abs pump checked as ive had a similar problem before

Thanks for the reply,

The thing is my ABS works (checked it on a quiet road) - it's only showing a fault with the front nearside sensor, which we've checked and seems to be working fine. Plus the light is on then off when I turn the vehicle on and off again! weird, is this what you had? :)

Alldis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320 /2000/?
Alldis

My ML was just in for a safety recall which was to do with a Brake light switch and cruise control according to the letter sent out by Mercedes.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Thanks for the reply,

The thing is my ABS works (checked it on a quiet road) - it's only showing a fault with the front nearside sensor, which we've checked and seems to be working fine. Plus the light is on then off when I turn the vehicle on and off again! weird, is this what you had? :)

Is the cooling fan working in the fuse box? Ive seen a ML430 with the same fault ECU box getting way to hot and all dash lights coming on.

jib

OP
M

MercMLman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270/2004/2.7L Diesel
Is the cooling fan working in the fuse box? Ive seen a ML430 with the same fault ECU box getting way to hot and all dash lights coming on.

jib

Thank you for your feedback, but I don't think this couldn't happen, what do you think? Because even when the car has been sat overnight outside and is stone cold, it still does it - the fault is really random! :-(

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Did you identify the relay and swap it over?

Did you find the wiring loom to the hydraulic unit (behind N/S headlamp) and very carefully check it for any damage or chafing?

OP
M

MercMLman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270/2004/2.7L Diesel
Did you identify the relay and swap it over?

Did you find the wiring loom to the hydraulic unit (behind N/S headlamp) and very carefully check it for any damage or chafing?

I haven't got a spare relay yet to try this with.

Be honest I'm not mechanical in any way really - I did find some wires, but I wasn't sure what I was even looking at, now you've highlighted what they are, i will check this loom once more and carefully just in case! ;)

Thank you - I'm getting the feeling I may be well out of my depth on this one! :confused:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You do not need a spare relay, as I suggested, swap it over for another of the same type - there are plenty in there.

OP
M

MercMLman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270/2004/2.7L Diesel
You do not need a spare relay, as I suggested, swap it over for another of the same type - there are plenty in there.

I thought that then maybe something else may cause probs as I said, I'm not great at this sort of thing, but will have a go tonight. Thanks for the pointer :)

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Swap it, only to try it. You will probably find one for the rear demister or something non critical that is the same.

You may indeed be over your head, most of us here tend to advise assuming a certain level of competence.
It is up to you to decide if you have it or not! :D

OP
M

MercMLman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270/2004/2.7L Diesel
Swap it, only to try it. You will probably find one for the rear demister or something non critical that is the same.

You may indeed be over your head, most of us here tend to advise assuming a certain level of competence.
It is up to you to decide if you have it or not! :D

Good point! :D

'I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it ' - Pablo Picasso

Lets see what trouble i can get myself into then :)

jefrs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S210 98 E320 Estate Av petrol full load
hth
trev.

As given on another thread here http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?p=783172#post783172
They things are fussy for battery volts, which I can confirm for various weird BAS/ESP/ADS glitches.

Note - 12.2V is no good (that is a discharged battery) although it will spin the engine.

It seems the electronics insist on at least 12.6V.
A lot of the intermittent nonsense (including fault codes) disappeared after I changed the battery (holding less than 12.3V). If the battery is down, it can give you errors telling you it is a sensor or something-else other than the actual fault. 12.6V to 12.8V or better is what it wants.

Do look for dodgy connections because these are very cheap to fix. If you can identify the blighters. I recently found my ADS module was not "clicked-in" fully home to its sockets, doh!

OP
M

MercMLman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270/2004/2.7L Diesel
Hello all and thank you so much for all of your help, especially to 'Kyliewww' who took time out of his day after work to pop around and try to and diagnose with his code reader, unfortunately it couldn't find anything for my jeep. However after a good chat, he put me in touch with a garage who run my merc on another diagnostic reader which I wouldn't of done unless Carl had reco'd him - thankfully his machine(worth over£8k) immediately picked up a fault with the offside speed sensor, plse remember the previous two garages had diagnosed the nearside and so we had been concentrating on the wrong side of the vehicle!!
Hopefully it will now be an easy fix, but wanna stress my thanks and show appretiation for Kyliewww and all his good will and help and of course, thank you to the rest of the forum.
i will let you know the final outcome :)

Top Bottom