The saga is almost over - 2005, C220 CDI Classic SE, S203.208 (Estate), OM646.963 Engine

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
suspect you mean Pagid Disc's, which are sold alot by ECP. They are a half decent product, but if incorrect disc's supplied would never do the correct job.
They do look quite new in photo's, but i certainly would not be happy if my disc's were running that close to the brackets, i bit of muck and they would be rubbing.
Something is not correct and it can only be something not seated correctly, or incorrect part.
One thought comes to mind, did the fitter remove the rust from the hub when he installed disc's, it could well be that there is enough "rust" to set the disc off a mm or so, worth checking, but of course you have to get the disc's off first.
Its odd that the securing screws to not line up with the hubs, which again will point to incorrect parts.
Time will give us the replies.

That's the ones. Pagid. In answer to your question, I don't know. I left the car with him and used his old E350 while he was doing mine.
Yes. Time will tell. And if anyone knows of anyone who could lend me a breaker bar in the SO30 2fl area of Hedge End, that would speed up getting these discs out, that would really help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
With the rear discs there are several choices depending on the spec of the vehicle, including several different offsets.

With the front discs for the C-203, the disc diameter is 288mm, the thickness is 25mm (down to 22mm when worn) and the height (offset) is 46.6mm. There is no choice, so it seems that a disc with the wrong diameter or offset cannot be fitted.

This seems to leave the mounting of the disc on the hub - or the bedding of the hub itself - as the culprits. The obvious way forward, as you are trying to do, is to strip off the disc, check the hub, and thoroughly clean all mating surfaces and rebuild.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Breaker bars are not that pricey, £10 will buy a decent one.
Or a bit of heavy tubing on your normal bar might do it.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
With the front discs for the C-203, the disc diameter is 288mm, the thickness is 25mm (down to 22mm when worn) and the height (offset) is 46.6mm. There is no choice, so it seems that a disc with the wrong diameter or offset cannot be fitted.

On the above, OP states the location screw for disc does not line up with hub, hence !!!!!!!!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Does the hole for the screw line up if you rotate the hub below it to each of the 5 positions where the wheel bolts can be screwed in?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
... OP states the location screw for disc does not line up with hub, hence !!!!!!!!

If he is referring to this little setscrew - one of a pair that is supposed to hold the disc tight to the hub while the wheel is off - then it is possible that the disc is only held in place by the wheel.
The danger of doing this is that grit, muck etc can get between the inner face of the disc and the hub while the wheel is off. Bad practice, but I've seen it before.
I don't think this is the OP's problem here though.

shopping

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
As I mentioned in a earlier Post, if it were me, I'd be changing these calipers . And as for the grease cup for the hub, was it battered like that when you went to remove it?

Yes it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Does the hole for the screw line up if you rotate the hub below it to each of the 5 positions where the wheel bolts can be screwed in?

That needs checking. Will check this tomorrow.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Bout of food poisoning while in Gosport stopped everything. Now back in Hedge end, a bit fragile but determined to push on and do as much as I can. I've asked to borrow a breaker bar locally to help get the final bolts out and then inspect the disc(s). Both sides seem to be the same, just one side was worse than the other.

if u get a dicky tummy, sometimes best to not eat for few days to let it recover... main issue is people keep ramming food in when it needs a rest.... then start gently with the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apples and toast)

I had some mega dodgy thing went on for 9 days last year... vet said just have Lucozade till it gets over itself (didn't) but one tablet of a antibiotic that's not good for u sorted it within an hour.... (ciprofloxacin - trashes all your joints, ligaments & tendons)

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just had a thought ...
Going back to Botus' comment - Post 177.
This is remote, but I suppose it's just possible.

The larger-engined 203 Class cars, if I remember, had a front disc that was 10mm or so greater diameter. These had a different offset to the 288mm discs, although the pcd and hub centre was the same.
Would a slightly larger diameter disc fit your hub? Could a previous owner have fitted such? If so, it would have a different offset and might account for the clearance problem.
I doubt that this is the case, but, hey, any port in a storm!

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
its not the wear I worry about it shouldn't have 0.5 mm one side and 5 mm the other this is the fixed element not the sliding bit

index.php

Just read what umblecumbuz said and you've got me thinking now. Is LostKiwiw correct then by stating the disc should be dead centre between the pads? Which would make more sense now I think about it. Why would your disc be offset and not dead centre?!!

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes

On the above, OP states the location screw for disc does not line up with hub, hence !!!!!!!!

I need to check this now that the disc is off. Thank you.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
valeo_brake_disc_186864_01.jpg

Here's the dimensions if that's of help.
Here's the bigger diameter that's incorrect fitment.
400.1443.52.jpg

Last edited:

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As the diagram above.
Measure the diameter. If it's 288mm, then the disc is correct.
If it's more than 288mm, then you have the wrong discs fitted.

And yes, the disc should run centrally in its slot.

Last edited:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
if u get a dicky tummy, sometimes best to not eat for few days to let it recover... main issue is people keep ramming food in when it needs a rest.... then start gently with the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apples and toast)

I had some mega dodgy thing went on for 9 days last year... vet said just have Lucozade till it gets over itself (didn't) but one tablet of a antibiotic that's not good for u sorted it within an hour.... (ciprofloxacin - trashes all your joints, ligaments & tendons)

In my travels, I always carried "FLAGEL" ( or FLAGYL , if you prefer ) and there have been more times than I like to admit, that I have had to use it too. But a word to the unwary....NEVER, and I mean NEVER have any kind of Alcohol after you have taken it !!! It's what is used to dissuade recovering alcoholic's from even looking at, never mind actually swallowing alcohol !!! Conversely, according to a Nurse friend of mine, there is always the one in a million, who has a completely different reaction to Flagyl when they drink alcohol after taking it...the high they get is incomparable !!! But they are the odd's..if you fancy your chances !!!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
If I read these two drawings correctly... (using the 300 mm diameter discs) the disc would end up sitting 3mm closer to the inner side of the caliper carrier.... but its sitting against the outer edge... so can't be this idea?

valeo_brake_disc_186864_01.jpg

Here's the dimensions if that's of help.
Here's the bigger diameter that's incorrect fitment.
400.1443.52.jpg

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes

Checked this and yes the disc bolt hole does line up. Just have an old sheared off bolt stuck in the hole where that counter sunk bolt should go.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If I read these two drawings correctly... (using the 300 mm diameter discs) the disc would end up sitting 3mm closer to the inner side of the caliper carrier.... but its sitting against the outer edge... so can't be this idea?

The two drawings above indicate the other way around.
Measuring from the rear face of the disc, the height (offset) is the same in both cases, but the 300mm disc is 3mm thicker towards the outer face.

Secretly, I think the OP is rebuilding the entire car and is using this forum as a knowledge base to save buying a Haynes manual. This thread will run for years until the last bolt has been discussed, then he will publish the redacted results and start another thread on his next car!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom