The saga is almost over - 2005, C220 CDI Classic SE, S203.208 (Estate), OM646.963 Engine

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
If I read these two drawings correctly... (using the 300 mm diameter discs) the disc would end up sitting 3mm closer to the inner side of the caliper carrier.... but its sitting against the outer edge... so can't be this idea?
Unfortunately it doesn't give the thickness of the flange which would change where it sits on the hub but if the material is the same thickness then you're correct.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
The two drawings above indicate the other way around.
Measuring from the rear face of the disc, the height (offset) is the same in both cases, but the 300mm disc is 3mm thicker towards the outer face.

Secretly, I think the OP is rebuilding the entire car and is using this forum as a knowledge base to save buying a Haynes manual. This thread will run for years until the last bolt has been discussed, then he will publish the redacted results and start another thread on his next car!

If we all live that long...!!! :eek:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Measuring from the rear face of the disc, the height (offset) is the same in both cases, but the 300mm disc is 3mm thicker towards the outer face.

Secretly, I think the OP is rebuilding the entire car and is using this forum as a knowledge base to save buying a Haynes manual. This thread will run for years until the last bolt has been discussed, then he will publish the redacted results and start another thread on his next car!

Maybe so, but I'm sure that people are learning from it too. I am anyway, and at this stage, it's like watching a series on NetFlix,,,,,and you can't wait to see the end, and how it will turn out !!!:D:D:D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Checked this and yes the disc bolt hole does line up. Just have an old sheared off bolt stuck in the hole where that counter sunk bolt should go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could it be that the remnants of this bolt are preventing the disc from mating properly to the hub?

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Could it be that the remnants of this bolt are preventing the disc from mating properly to the hub?
If it was protruding a bit, and not lined up with it's corresponding hole, it could indeed be throwing of the the disc alignment.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Hi NBurns, Just spent a happy hour reading this fascinating thread :coffee:, Any chance of some photos of the car in its entirety ? :)

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009

Umblecumbuz, you know me too well already!!!! How did you figure out my overall plan?!!!!

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Maybe so, but I'm sure that people are learning from it too. I am anyway, and at this stage, it's like watching a series on NetFlix,,,,,and you can't wait to see the end, and how it will turn out !!!:D:D:D

Credits will be given at the final episode!!!!!

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes

Yes, you are correct. Only by about 3mm before as I have been attempting to get the damn thing out using every single method I can think of. It is now about 2mm but I can measure that.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
If it was protruding a bit, and not lined up with it's corresponding hole, it could indeed be throwing of the the disc alignment.

Yes, yes. You're absolutely right. Even if that was just 3mm, that would clearly put a slight offset onto the wheel which would in turn cause an offset between the pads.
My plan of action. First, get that sheared bolt out. Secondly, check the NSF wheel just in case the same has happened. Second, now that I have removed the pins, clean and re-grease them thoroughly. Thirdly, if it is possible, remove the brake calliper piston, clean thoroughly, re-grease and replace. Repeat on NSF if required for everything. Then replace all brake fixtures, re-fill reservoir with new brake fluid (as I've lost some already), bleed the system of air and then onto the suspension arm on the OSF. Damn!!! Forgot about that. Already found a reasonable priced one online, just need to get it and fit it.
What is a failure on the lower rear wishbone arm anyway? He showed me where it was but not what the failure was.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Yes, you are correct. Only by about 3mm before as I have been attempting to get the damn thing out using every single method I can think of. It is now about 2mm but I can measure that.

I'm not sure I fully understand...

Is the sheared bolt stopping the dsic coming off, as in it's sheared with the disc already attached? And if so how is it also stopping the disc from mating with the surface? It was my understanding that the sheared bolt was not holding the disc on so was not really a problem as that bolt isn't needed anyway? But then I thought it was the caliper bracket that was stopping the disc being removed and my understanding is that has since been removed so the dsic should now come away...?

Besides if it is really 3mm then that could be your problem. It may not be enough to centre it but it maybe enough to make it stop catching?

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Had this on a Mini, screw sheared off in the hub.
Drilled it out with a drill just under the screw size and then picked out what was left, then run the correct tap through to clean up thread.
You can get away with out them, but the point that the remains of the screw could be holding the disc off the hub is a valid one, as the disc will fit in five different positions with out using the screws, If you cannot get them out, either file or grind them flat. The wheel bolts will hold the disc on, but be careful not to get anything behind it when fitting.
Its always best to use the retaining screw though.
One day we will have a resolve to this issue.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
So - what is the diameter of the disc, now you have removed it?

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
I'm not sure I fully understand...

Is the sheared bolt stopping the dsic coming off, as in it's sheared with the disc already attached? And if so how is it also stopping the disc from mating with the surface? It was my understanding that the sheared bolt was not holding the disc on so was not really a problem as that bolt isn't needed anyway? But then I thought it was the caliper bracket that was stopping the disc being removed and my understanding is that has since been removed so the dsic should now come away...?

Besides if it is really 3mm then that could be your problem. It may not be enough to centre it but it maybe enough to make it stop catching?

Sorry. I have now been able to remove the disc. And in doing so found the sheared off bolt.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Apologies for the very rough measurements. If my vernier calliper set suddenly turned up I could measure this more accurately. IMG_8089.jpg IMG_8087.jpg IMG_8086.jpg IMG_8085.jpg IMG_8083.jpg IMG_8082.jpg IMG_8080.jpg IMG_8077.jpg IMG_8076.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom