Changes to fuel / E10

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Always has been price fixing on fuel. When I had a filling station back in the mid 70's we used to keep a very close eye on what the other local stations were doing. Petrol customers didn't have and still havn't any loyalty to anyone and you could easily lose customers if you didn't keep in line with the other local stations. To drive an extra mile or two to save a penny a gallon, as it was in those days, wasn't an issue as it still isn't to-day :rolleyes:
Neither Rose nor I have used any of our local petrol stations for the past 18 months purely because they are always at least 5% dearer than other nearby towns. We refuel on trips away from home. I'd rather have no local petrol station than three rip off merchants.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Talk on the news today was how the wholesale price had dropped… they then went on to advise it would be 7-10 days before the reduction filtered through to the pumps…

Hilarious how it only happens that way around…:mad:

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Talk on the news today was how the wholesale price had dropped… they then went on to advise it would be 7-10 days before the reduction filtered through to the pumps…

Hilarious how it only happens that way around…:mad:

Well lots of bad stuff happening and the powers to be get away with it :mad:

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Well lots of bad stuff happening and the powers to be get away with it :mad:
I'm seriously considering off-grid living.
This world is an awful place right now and I can't see it getting any better in the foreseeable future.
If I was 20 years younger I'd be disappearing but I've reached a ripe old age where, unfortunately, I will soon have to ask others to help me. :confused:

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This world is an awful place right now and I can't see it getting any better in the foreseeable future.
If I was 20 years younger I'd be disappearing but I've reached a ripe old age where, unfortunately, I will soon have to ask others to help me. :confused:

What is going to be offered to our young grandchildren for tomorrows world is also a frightening thought...............

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have friends in Southern Kentucky who are mainly off grid with 100 acres of untouched land which has been in the family for well over 100 years. There are a few hand built buildings on the land which my friends have built and very eco-friendly. So peaceful and tranquil and the river house they built right next to the stream is great for getting away, which made me chuckle

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
That outhouse in the snow looks bracing!

Still working on the man cave, will hide up there soon...
ffecab027d05022e2ea239dc9ee908b9.jpg
46e1795c5108e4a65bbdd0be891a7aa6.jpg
1880dac9f771e2d9ca6b0f912a6bf154.jpg
c5a11798e07dfad3723a4e487a6abb82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've thought about it for our French house a number of times.
Water is easy, and waste water is via Fosse (as in many rural French properties), we don't have mains gas and heating is wood burners.
That just leaves electric. We have a large barn around 30m long which is south facing so solar would be quite easy. It's just the cost is holding us back....coupled with the limited time we spend there to recover the benefit.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Well my experience using ESSO Supreme 99 E5 fuel went well the engine was more responsive and bogged down a lot less in lower gears if there was any mpg gain it was marginal but the engine certainly ran smoother, that was after 2 fills. The really interesting bit is that my local filling station has now changed to BP so did a fill of 97 Ultimate E5 and I’m really impressed the car starts from cold much smoother and does the same in general running very pleased with this fuel and makes an IL6 what it should be ultra smooth

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I recco netflix unabomer series - this guy was right in 1971... and when an oddball that didn't fit caught him, we stitched Ted up, just as he was about to explain everything

Industrial Society and Its Future - lays very detailed blame on technology for destroying human scale communities. Kaczynski contends that the Industrial Revolution harmed the human race by developing into a sociopolitical order that subjugates human needs beneath its own. This system, he wrote, destroys nature and suppresses individual freedom. In short, humans adapt to machines rather than vice versa, resulting in a society hostile to human potential

Last edited:

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I've thought about it for our French house a number of times.
Water is easy, and waste water is via Fosse (as in many rural French properties), we don't have mains gas and heating is wood burners.
That just leaves electric. We have a large barn around 30m long which is south facing so solar would be quite easy. It's just the cost is holding us back....coupled with the limited time we spend there to recover the benefit.
Don't know your setup in Europe but we, here in Oz, can sell unused power back to the grid. If like us, you put up solar and spent lots of time away, you would be making money from selling all your generated power. Solar is getting quite cheap to install these days.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
in Oz, can sell unused power back to the grid. If like us, you put up solar and spent lots of time away, you would be making money from selling all your generated power. Solar is getting quite cheap to install these days.

yes, that way you can almost get back most of the panel and install costs inside 15 years.... aka another pointless way to exploit the world's resources and steal from the poor - its a bit like selling all the state owned services back to the people, and stealing the profits for the crooks that thought of the stupidity - rather than shrewd investment in durable plant once technology has evolved

solar is a great idea - its why plants have been using it for a few billion years.... but for domestic energy use it needs to be done on the ground where install and maint costs are appropriate and one controller does 10k houses not one on each house....

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Well my experience using ESSO Supreme 99 E5 fuel went well the engine was more responsive and bogged down a lot less in lower gears if there was any mpg gain it was marginal but the engine certainly ran smoother, that was after 2 fills. The really interesting bit is that my local filling station has now changed to BP so did a fill of 97 Ultimate E5 and I’m really impressed the car starts from cold much smoother and does the same in general running very pleased with this fuel and makes an IL6 what it should be ultra smooth
E5 was some 10 years ago - E10 is what's in 95 unleaded in the UK since Sept 2020 - for 99 Octane in the UK, its now a total gamble if its really E10 95, 5% ethanol, or 0% ethanol at the pumps they are robbing you from....

ethanol is a very good knock resisting agent (aka the same desirable effect of adding lead 80 years ago) - but that's all it does well.... the petrol chemical crooks are divesting from dinosaurs to farming sugar - as they realise they can scam more in farming subsidies than drilling in puddles.... Thus they can fill your car up with budget knock reduction chemicals that MAGICALLY not only need to burn through 20% more to get the same energy content, it destroys the metal and rots the rubber and plastics faster.

If a petrol car designed to run on 95 unleaded, has no higher state tune built in the engine management system from the use of knock sensors AND makes references to benefits of and recco'd use of above 98 Octane fuels in the handbook - it WILL run more smoothly (from the reduction in performance you get running the wrong fuel), but it will also be slower, and use more fuel then when you run the fuel recco'd Octane rating in the handbook (@ 0 to 800 foot altitude).

high end / performance vehicles used to use the info from the knock sensors to move to a better optimised engine map when above 98 octane fuel was used. But as they are ALL in on it with the petrol chemical crooks - now most vehicles have removed the higher tune map even though everything on the vehicle is ready to work better with it.... BMW removed their better mapping on the bike's in 2013 with the invention of ethanol crap in std petrol....

the REAL environmental benefits of ethanol in petrol is NEGATIVE vs conventional octane boosters previously used - the effects of bad farming of unsuitable crops and processing is greater than using real stuff... but economically (for them) they can make the ethanol rubbish more cheaply, scan more of your taxes in subsides, whilst paying no tax themselves, and for you to buy 20% more than you previously needed etc.... and that higher environmental damage is before we work on the costs of the damage and shorter life cycle of vehicle's or the increased logistics and environmental damage of us all now needing to move 20% more to the filing stations and us driving around with 20% more weight in you car.....

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't know your setup in Europe but we, here in Oz, can sell unused power back to the grid. If like us, you put up solar and spent lots of time away, you would be making money from selling all your generated power. Solar is getting quite cheap to install these days.
It is an option but dealing with French red tape is not something to be undertaken lightly.
By keeping it off grid that can be minimised.
If we size it right we'd have near zero excess anyway.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
It is an option but dealing with French red tape is not something to be undertaken lightly.
By keeping it off grid that can be minimised.
If we size it right we'd have near zero excess anyway.
Would you not then need a battery for storage? That costs a fair amount.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes we would but old car batteries that are still usable are easy to come by.

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R 230 SL 500 2004 & Nissan Navara, Jag F-Pace, BMW Z4
So who does the cheapest E5 premium petrol. ??
Garages advertise the price of diesel and E10 petrol outside on the forecourt, you can search the internet also but the price of E5 is not so easy to get without picking up the pump, by which time your committed really. I've been using either Applegreen or Esso but their E5 prices have shot up recently, and BP, which is nearest to me and on the way out of town is criminal.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
So who does the cheapest E5 premium petrol. ??
Garages advertise the price of diesel and E10 petrol outside on the forecourt, you can search the internet also but the price of E5 is not so easy to get without picking up the pump, by which time your committed really. I've been using either Applegreen or Esso but their E5 prices have shot up recently, and BP, which is nearest to me and on the way out of town is criminal.
Costco

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom