Search results

1. sidewaze samm

bleeding brakes

I have a 2014 model X156 GLA. It won't be seeing the inside of any MB workshop again but will be needing some brake work later this year. Am I correct in assuming there is an automated system for bleeding the brakes? Can this be set up somehow within the car's systems, or does the car need to be...
  2. sidewaze samm

Stop/start and EML on...?

Update (and resolution?)... Bought a new main battery (Varta, same as OEM but no MB branding) and fitted it today (bit of a pig to do). On start-up, the now ever-present EML disappeared; went for a 20-mile drive, and throughout the drive start/stop worked as it should (though it will be...
  3. sidewaze samm

Have now borrowed a multi-tester and checked voltage of the main battery - 11.8V so a bit low, though plenty to start the car as normal, with no signs of difficulty at all. The auxiliary battery will have to wait until at least tomorrow evening (I've only just found out where it hides). And...
  4. sidewaze samm

If the battery is duff, is it just a case of nip to Halfords and swap a new one in? Or is it different with this stop/start stuff? I've heard about batteries needing to be coded to the car... And does anyone know where the auxiliary battery is on a RHD GLA? Presumably that should also be...
  5. sidewaze samm

So an update... After failing to work much, the stop/start seemed to give up completely. After a week or so of this the stop/start started to work again and the EML went off, but then when reversing off my drive, the engine just cut out - and the dash lit up like a christmas tree! Restarted...
  6. sidewaze samm

That's what I assumed, but the dealer was quite certain that, due to the year of my car (2014), historic EML codes are not visible...
  7. sidewaze samm

I few weeks ago my engine management light lit up (amber). Car drove fine. EML goes off after a couple of hours. This scenario has repeated since then, several times. Sometimes the EML is on for a few minutes, sometimes for a couple of days. Booked in for investigation, but the EML went off...
  8. sidewaze samm

GLA panoramic roof surround, delamination/discolouration

Obviously, the dealer was totally uninterested when I made enquiries. But can anyone confirm this point for me?: I was told that on cars with the panoramic roof, this section is actually part of the windscreen and therefore the whole screen and foreward roof section would need to be replaced...
  9. sidewaze samm

GLA gearbox/drivetrain 'shunting' - what did they do?

So after a little over two years after reporting the issue, it appears to have been rectified. The solution? Fit a new rear diff. I can't believe it has taken so long when I have virtually told them where the problem was. Now if only I could get something done about my roof...
  10. sidewaze samm

Think you've misread my posts - my only references to tyres are that originally the dealer claimed it must be tyres causing the issue, and that I was reluctant to change tyres as they were worn so little. When I eventually had the half-worn rear tyres replaced recently, I made sure the tyre...
  11. sidewaze samm

So, after a long break, an update: I didn't believe the tyres were to blame and was not prepared to spend almost £200 per tyre replacing pretty new tyres, only to discover that this had nothing to do with it at all. So I did nothing. The car continued to drive with the same...
  12. sidewaze samm

Body shop needed Manchester area

Try Hanstons in Altrincham. They're Mercedes approved and chose not to be insurance company approved because of limitations placed upon them
  13. sidewaze samm

Recommended body shop in the north west / north east?

If you're prepared to travel to Manchester, try Hanstons in Altrincham. Whilst they chose not to be insurance approved because of the restrictions placed upon them, they are Mercedes approved.
  14. sidewaze samm

GLA panoramic roof surround, delamination/discolouration

Has anybody seen this before? The glass(plastic?) panel that is at the front of the roof, above the windscreen and ahead of the panoramic roof, is showing some marks. They look like dirt on the car but the surface of the car panel is completely smooth and clean. I'm presuming it is due to some...
  15. sidewaze samm

TPMS valves...

Really? How does the car know which wheel is which? If I were to swap my rear wheels to the front, how would the tyre pressures then show up on the display? Are the sensors all the same or are they already coded to be mounted to specific positions - front, rear, left, right?
  16. sidewaze samm

TPMS valves...

Yes, that was 'interesting'. He might have managed breaking the bead with pieces of wood on those high sidewall tyres, but I wouldn't fancy his chances with my 235/45 section tyres and certainly not with some really low profile tyres. But once a tpms unit is replaced, it will need coding to the...
  17. sidewaze samm

TPMS valves...

I'm about to get some new tyres and am wondering whether anything needs to be done to the tpms valves at the same time. Presumably they are fitted with batteries of some kind - how often should these be changed? What sort of cost is involved and is it something to trust the local tyre centre to...
  18. sidewaze samm

Update - So, I've finally got the car booked in for service and for this vibration to be looked at. Again. This time I went for a drive with the tech - and he agreed with me... a subtle, irregular, speed-related vibration from the rear. Left the car with them overnight and have just received a...
  19. sidewaze samm

My thoughts also. I've now booked the car in again, as the engine management light has come on now...
  20. sidewaze samm

Yes I spend a fair bit of time on local, rush-hour driving. But I'm also known for using a fair bit of the 200bhp, and regularly use motorways too... Isn't the gearbox supposedly a sealed for life affair?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom